Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Prop shaft slip joint

warrenpfo

This might be a stupid question but if I have removed the AHC how important is it to grease them??

i will of course still do the UJ's

what has greasing the slip joint or not got to do with AHC?

non AHC landcruisers have a prop slip joint too, and they need greasing at service intervals

I can't see how the prop shaft can/should contract or expand as the vehicle is at a constant height.

I get that the transfer box is fixed and the axels float but being the centre of the axel does it change in height.

The diffs are not centred on the axles, so the axles floating will change the length of the relationship to the centre diff wouldn't it?

Of course the prop gets longer and shorter via slip joint everytime the truck goes over a bump or when vehicle is loaded an unloaded

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

IMO, not only suspension action affects the relative positions of the front/rear diffs and the transfer box. Even if considered to be a small amount, under acceleration or more so under heavy power load, such as a steep hill climb, the rear axle (for example) will be trying to compress all the rubber/nylon joints between it and the chassis. This will (in my example) effectively try to shorten the rear prop by a mm or two, hence the need for the slip joint to prevent a direct load on the prop UJs and the diff/transfer box bearings.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back