Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Propshafts: Sliding joint directions

Brett

Country Flag
uk
Gents, I've had a bit of a memory failure, I've been replacing UJ's in both front and rear propshafts this week and I'm going to re-install this afternoon (once it stops raining). when I removed the shafts, I've placed matchmarks on all the flanges so should get the phasing correct, but I can't remember with absolute confidence what direction the sliding joints face.

I'm pretty certain the rear shaft has the sliding joint towards the transfer box, not the diff, but I can't for the life of me remember what way the front shaft goes, I've checked the manuals and online and can't find a clear answer.

Would someone with a Manual Transmission truck, mind having a quick look at theirs to confirm please?

Thanks.

Brett, the slidy bit goes toward the diff. Ie the front. I think this is so the thin bit clears the anti roll bar.

You know that you only need match marks if you take the prop to bits? It doesn't matter about matching the prop back to the flanges on the diff and transfer case. The flanges are completely symmetrical and there's no alignment necessary.

Brett, the slidy bit goes toward the diff. Ie the front. I think this is so the thin bit clears the anti roll bar.

You know that you only need match marks if you take the prop to bits? It doesn't matter about matching the prop back to the flanges on the diff and transfer case. The flanges are completely symmetrical and there's no alignment necessary.

Thanks Chris, I didn't know there was no need to align the flanges, I've always marked them, going back to my Land Rover days, just to make sure they go back the same way.

I'd say I'd remember that for future, but as my memory is so bad :icon-rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong of course with matching them back up, but if you replaced the prop, or swapped the front diff for example, there'd be no way to line them up. Ergo - you don't need to. The FSM actually does tell you to do this. But it's not necessary. The prop, if you look, has a boss on the end and there's a cup on the flange. They push together so that the prop is exactly central. It's this that is the locating feature rather than the bolts

Grey matter is fading fast but, are the flanges on the front propshaft A different size so they cannot go back wrong?

regards

Dave

No Dave they aren't. They're the same. Ask me how I know ha ha. Be a really good idea wouldn't it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cannot remember but when I fitted my propshaft last year for whatever reason it did not go back on? Perhaps it is the narrow part you mention for clearing the ARB?

regards

Dave

Prop shaft use rule Number 23.a.

"Mount the tube end on the axle wherever possible. This reduces the unsprung weight".

Back