Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear arch repair parts?

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
Hi all, I am pretty sure this has been addressed many times over however, did anyone find repair panels for the rear arches on the 80?

I am trying to save a club member a lot of fabricating with tin snips and a welder when he come over in May to repair mine. The rust is up under the flares and extends down and along the sill areas on both sides. Given it seems most 80's in the UK are in the breakers because of rust, finding someone to cut me some arches that can be stitched back on mine is unlikely, and 80's are fairly rare here let alone in the breakers.

I honestly have only spent about two hours searching, but that netted nothing, with slow internet connections it becomes very frustrating, perhaps the move to a new area next month will improve things in that area?

So, anyone stumbled on a source they wish to share?

TIA

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Dave I'd love to say that I have but I haven't. Ever.

It's a common issue as you say. Here's how I did mine though which was relatively simple. I took strips of sheet about 3-4" wide and no more than around 8" long. I slit the edge with a disc roughly every 10mm with cuts around 155mm deep which I then bent at 90 degrees. This made it easy to bend and had an edge that faced up to the outer panel. Doing it a few inches at a time meant that the compound curve / profile was easy to follow. I popped a couple of rivets in to hold the repair piece in place until fixed properly.

I used galv sheet from the back of a washing machine which gives it a good head start on corrosion resistance.

Good luck.

Thanks for that Chris I will pass that on, my bodywork skills/welding would leave it looking as rough as a bears arse, hence farming it out.

Regards

Dave

I got a section cut out of a breaker 80 which was a bit rotten but good enough to take to a local panel maker who used it as a template to make some repair sections which I then welded in. Made the job a lot easier.

Doing a bit of work on a mates 80 and found a lot of rust in the little brackets and clips that hold the mud flaps and arches on ....anyone got the relevant parts page's or know if they are still available or sourced the clips the self tapper screws go into on the mudflaps where they attach to the arches ? no idea what you call them to try a search on the web .

I got a section cut out of a breaker 80 which was a bit rotten but good enough to take to a local panel maker who used it as a template to make some repair sections which I then welded in. Made the job a lot easier.

Thanks for that Jon, I will chat to the bodywork guy and see what he suggests.

I have seen his fabrication work on his own Toyota and he seems to know his stuff, I am looking for the easiest solution.

Thanks again

Regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don’t know if Paul @Bat21 will have any good bits around the wheel arches when his truck gets the chop. Might work out.

Last edited:
You can repair most such fixings using fibreglass repair kits and if necessary making new brackets and captive nuts.

Doing a bit of work on a mates 80 and found a lot of rust in the little brackets and clips that hold the mud flaps and arches on ....anyone got the relevant parts page's or know if they are still available or sourced the clips the self tapper screws go into on the mudflaps where they attach to the arches ? no idea what you call them to try a search on the web .
Mine weren’t too good when I investigated around my rear wheel arch. Think I found some on EBay and the screws too. Try various search words like ‘trim clips’ or such and look for the same style or similar.

Last edited:
One arch repaired, I ordered three strips of angled steel, this had pre cuts in one side making it flexible (as per @Chris idea) until the individual tabs were welded, worked great.

Inside inner arch was done with steel strips, and duly coated with POR15, I have never used it before but @Rodger supplied it and did the job for me. :thumbup:

The other side (fuel filler) where the arch meets the sill is on hold but nowhere near as bad as the d/s which needed rebuilding.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back