Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Bumper and wheel carrier

warrenpfo

I am at that point where I need/want to get the spare wheel out from under the car and am considering my options.

1st option is to put it on the rr but that would increase the centre of gravity take up space on the rr and increase fuel consumption not to mention the pain of getting it down if I ever need it.

The second option is to mount it on a swing out carrier from one of the rear pillars. The only problem I have with this is having to drill into the car and if for some reason I ever want to sell the car and return it to stock it would involve a panel beaters and filler.

Third option and from what I can tell the best is to have it swing out from a combined rear bumper and spare wheel carrier. The only problem I see with this is the cost and the fact that in South Africa one has to use an approved towbar and if you get in an accident and don’t have one your insurance company will not pay out so that leaves me with the likes of ARB or a locally made bumper.

Am I missing something or have I covered all the options with pros and cons?

I think it depends how much you're willing to spend really? I should think most of the aftermarket bumpers that don't have an integrated bar will still allow fitment of an OEM underslung tow bar but by the time they reach these shores they're quite expensive. You could have a swing out carrier fabricated to work with the OEM bumper attached to the chassis rail rather than the body, I thought about doing that but the OEM style swing out suits my needs very well.

Back