Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear diff pinion bearing supply ??

Dr Bob

I have what I think is a noisy rear diff pinion bearing. The front diff has been done I have a transmission whine at 55 to 60 MPH that goes off on overun . Sounds like the diff pinion nose bearing . Can these be done in situ ? Can anyone give me a part number ?

Thanks Bob

The bearings are a press fit on the pinion so you'd need a puller that can grab the inner race to do it in situ. I think Milners do the bearings.

I think that before I embarked upon this, I'd want to maybe eliminate a couple of bits. I'd certainly drop the rear prop, lock the centre diff and go for a spin. Having had various diff whines in the past, several of which Jon has cured, I'd want to know that absolutely the cause. I had exactly what you are describing - the on and off the power noise. Rear diffs rarely give rise to problems on these mighty monsters. It might be worth asking Karl just how much a diff might be. I know I'd rather swap a diff then swap that bearing. Either way, it's very unlikely to let go or anything hideous. You may not have the dashboard centre diff lock option of course at the moment so doing a road test as I have described might be tricky. I would factor in fitting the switch in the dash as a priority. For any 80 owner really.

Chris

I was thinking of removing the front prop and going for a spin . Won't the viscous unit allow this without locking the center diff ? As I can only lock it in low box at the moment . I have no problems at the thought of rebuilding the rear diff if required I have access to a fully equipped independent Land Rover workshop that I do locum work for .

Bob

Depends on how good your VC is. On the flat you'll get half decent drive. Will manage small hills. Not sure that this will give you that much of a diagnostic. But worth doing maybe. My thought was to remove the rear prop to see if the noise went completely. Easy to get a switch from Karl. Plugs straight into the dash and you're off!

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Slightly off topic but the Cdl switch.... is it just a case of plug it in to existing wiring loom? 97 auto.

Yes Gary. It really is THAT easy. There is a plug which it wuld benefit you to unplug on the tranny case too, but that's a separate thread. May even be in the sticky section. You don't have to do this to make it work though.

Chris

Cheers Chris, I'll have a look through and add to my list to do.

Can't I just sort the diff lock sensor out for the test drive ? The VC on my old 94 classic Auto Range Rover would do full drive with a prop missing so it's a learning curve sorry.

Bob

Last edited:
Well the VC is essentially an LSD so you'd be lucky to get 'full' drive. Not sure what you mean by the diff lock sensor. That's just a detent ball switch that says whether it's locked or not. I'd guess if you knew which pins to jump in the loom (plug behind the dash) you could fool the centre diff into locking without the switch. Which would be around a tenner anyway. I guess you mean trick the locker actuator circuit into thinking it's in low range. You could, yes, but I'd have no idea which wires to short out. I'd just stick the switch in the dash - you should so that anyway and the diff isn't about to let go I'd suggest.

Bout time we had some pics there Bob.

A diff lock switch for a tenner, :think: I'm not so sure about that Chris, Karl asks £40.

I'll rephrase that then Chas - they USED to be a tenner, not so very long ago.

Free market economy. We've Maggie to thank for that.

C

I'll rephrase that then Chas - they USED to be a tenner, not so very long ago.

Free market economy. We've Maggie to thank for that.

C

I know what you mean Chris, one I always remember is a bag 'o chips for four OLD pence :icon-cry: Ah! the good old days, Oh yes and a cinema ticket for nine old pence. :violin:

I bet you still had change to get the trolley bus home Chas. Wasn't beer a penny a pint more in the 'best side' as well?

And the roar of those Merlin engines overhead....

C

I can see where this one's headed. :lol:

Back