Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear door stay…did I dream it?

Gr8Yota

Country Flag
scotland
So I thought I remebered my 70 having a locking strut on the rear door (2/3 side)? Did I dream that? My 78 does not have one and I got fed up with it trying to kill me over the past week!

My 92 78 doesn't have any either, just those stiff-ish sliding guides about half way up both doors.
Open them fully they stay there, even on a slope, in fact I have extra lubed mine to try and get them to shut easier, even though they are not bent/seized and slide smoothly in and out of the doors/s.

Hmmm, my door closes itself on even a gentle angle!

Tomorrow I will have a closer look at mine to see if there is more to them, it's dark and raining now. I know for sure after around 14yrs in and out of the back every day for tools, there is definitely no locking stay etc.
Heavy when they shut on you, my 120 is the worst, one bloody great door that has a locking stay, but if I only open it part way on a slope to grab something quick, it's like being in a press when it closes on me. Will get back tomorrow mate.

Had a further look at mine, and on closing there is small initial resistance from that sliding guide/opening restrictor, before both doors, the big and the small one start to close.
Almost like built in hump or overrun in the linkage actually inside the door.
Maybe worth you taking that big door card off that has the speaker attached, and look at what goes on inside as you operate the door, for wear or mis alignment.
Is there any wear/slop in the hinges, as that may be inclined for it to swing shut with no effort.

No gas strut as standard, but I have seen some after market kits

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Correct Charlie, there is no gas strut as standard, but where does the after market ones go on the 2/3 barn doors on a 78 ? The original guides/restrictors slide into the doors out of the way when closed.

Sorry I don’t know how to download the video from Facebook, hopefully the pictures will help.
D5AF6AB1-EAA3-4D86-8210-4297674D5ACB.png

21331D46-7231-4AC3-8415-56F4202C0C12.png

28E51C43-C684-4B1B-83EE-201D8B98DC7D.png

Had a further look at mine, and on closing there is small initial resistance from that sliding guide/opening restrictor, before both doors, the big and the small one start to close.
Almost like built in hump or overrun in the linkage actually inside the door.
Maybe worth you taking that big door card off that has the speaker attached, and look at what goes on inside as you operate the door, for wear or mis alignment.
Is there any wear/slop in the hinges, as that may be inclined for it to swing shut with no effort.
New car so no wear on anything. But thanks for the tip I’ll take a look.

Thanks Charlie, that’s just what I need. I could have sworn my old sub had one as standard!

Back