Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear internal LED installation (lots of pics)

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
I bought some Cheap LED's recently to install in the rear tail gate after seeing J.W. setup in a post on here. They ended up in the bin after arriving as they were plastic flimsy and half broken.

A few days passed and J.W. found what looked like the exact item I needed, with integrated touch switch. He posted the link on here.

Promptly bought 2 of them from MUD's and held on to them until I went to collect my truck from Voelckers Cruisers.

Where they will go
IMG_1776.jpg

Panel removed to see innards
IMG_1777.jpg

Deciding on the spacing as I wanted them to light the drawers as they opened
IMG_1778.jpg

Dismantled LED to show slimline form
IMG_1779.jpg

The only drilling needed for the cabling
IMG_1781.jpg

LED in place with just 2 screws
IMG_1783.jpg

Flush fitting with no extra drilling required
IMG_1784.jpg

Cover snaps in place
IMG_1785.jpg

Wiring routed through bottom of door
IMG_1786.jpg

Through existing rubber housing from door to body work
IMG_1787.jpg

Rear head lining gently removed to feed wiring through
IMG_1788.jpg

Internal wiring for rear courtesy light after removing Light. Refitted later to give even more light if needed.
IMG_1791.jpg

New wires finally through after much fiddling and pulling
IMG_1796.jpg

Finished Installation
IMG_1798.jpg

LED showing centre € ...its really the snazzy on-off switch
IMG_1804.jpg

The final result. Fantastic amount of light Only 2 LED's no internal light
IMG_1805.jpg

As they're wired to rear courtesy, when the rear hatch is closed they turn off automatically, and will not light unless you switch them on manually.
IMG_1808.jpg

Very very pleased with the result. Had lots of help from Rich at Voelckers.

Thanks J.W. excellent find.
Thanks Rich for all the help
Thanks JV for the use of tools and garage/tea/food etc.

Nice one, and a very neat install :thumbup: Well done Olazz. They do put out a great amount of light and look smart at the same time.

That's a nice looking load guard I spy in the back there. Where is it from?

Cheers.

Nice looking everything. Hmm, is that the 'gold colour' I see there?

I think that should be truck of the month. Come on, let's see everything!

Chris

Scott said:
That's a nice looking load guard I spy in the back there. Where is it from?

Cheers.

Its a standard Black Widow issue, as are the drawers. Very sturdy kit. Crash tested and approved in Aus. Didn't fancy having a head-on in Africa and a 40+kg fridge and stuff come hurtling at my head!

They look really good and a nice install too :thumbup:

They do look great Olazz :clap: & having seen Jon's working at the weekend, one of the next essential mods for Muxley!!! :cool:

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well OK I took my time, but they are in so you can rest easy now Laz. :thumbup: Really easy to put in, nothing tricky at all. Only took me about two cuppas worth I think.

Obviously they don't look very bright in the daytime, looking up with the camera, but having seen yours at night I know what to expect.

Nice find. I'd happily stick more of those in.

Chris

[attachment=0:33ebmf2r]P1000938.JPG[/attachment:33ebmf2r]

Attachments

• P1000938.JPG
    P1000938.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 938
I have the same lights fitted in the same place, they are excellent lights. Makes it very easy to work / cook at the back of the truck at night.

Well done chap.... passes muster: Carry on!

again i have exactly the same pair in the same location due to olazz's install :D

Nice job, I'll be adding it to my list of 'to do's'.... does anyone know what watt these lights are?

Can the rear courtesy light wiring sustain prolonged draw from fitting two of these, or would fitting a relay be a wise move?

Bat21 said:
Nice job, I'll be adding it to my list of 'to do's'.... does anyone know what watt these lights are?

Can the rear courtesy light wiring sustain prolonged draw from fitting two of these, or would fitting a relay be a wise move?
I just fitted a set as well Paul and before fitting them I checked the current draw - 190mA each at 12.6v . I don't think two of these will overload the courtesy light circuit, especially not if you have converted the OEM lights to LED?

I didn't run my wiring to the courtesy light, I just picked up the open/closed switch feed in the corner of the tailgate by the wiper relay and only ran a single thin power wire through into the boot and picked up power from the aux battery circuit instead of the OEM courtesy light wiring.

Jon Wildsmith said:
I just fitted a set as well Paul and before fitting them I checked the current draw - 190mA each at 12.6v....
Thanks Jon, I knew someone would know what I was asking :thumbup:

I'm still running the OEM interior light so I guess converting that might be another job to add to the list too :|

Ref the wiring, that sounds like another option of powering them :thumbup:

What is the spread pattern like from these.... would they be described as spot or flood in light appearance?

Bat21 said:
What is the spread pattern like from these.... would they be described as spot or flood in light appearance?
Gave them a quick try just, not properly dark and lots of street lights to spoil the effect but they seemed to light up 4-6ft behind the car as well as the tailgate/boot area which seems pretty much perfect.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Gave them a quick try....
Thanks Jon, they sound perfect for the job.... I need to get my act together and order a pair.

and don't hold your breath waiting for them - paid for mine 10 days ago but not yet heard a peep ... :roll:

Back