Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

remote oil cooler

Yeah, time for the latest "Chris' Saturday night drunken ramble."

I am guessing Pete that the manuals have a larger Rad for the engine coolant then??? I have been looking at ways to get my whinch mounted a little further back and I think that loosing about 6" from the bottom of the rad would give alot more clearance. Was maybe thinking if I could find a rad the size of the auto one without the oil cooler then that should suffice in keeping the engine sufficiently cool. Maybe (and I am saying this with my hands, feet, nose and ass all touching wood) this is the reason why we hear of less manuals having head trouble.

If the rad in the manual is the same size as the rad "and" oil cooler in the autos then that would give the manuals quite a substantial gain in surface area and therefore keep things cooler. "plus the coolant isn't being heated but the ATF.

Like I said a bit of a ramble but some interesting thoughts me thinks.

I reckon that is spot on, as the rads are the same depth.

So the 'ideal' mod would be an external oil cooler, and a manual rad. Just a matter of sizing the external cooler correctly I suppose.

Some thought would need to go into heating the atf from cold though.

Pete

Not sure if this is any help to you ? http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...oler-transmission-cooler-install-3rd-gen.html

If you look up racing radiators they can be made almost any size you want but expensive i imagine .

Would it be fair to say the radiator off any vehicle of similar engine size and overall weight should prove suitable ? just a suggestion that someone with more knowledge might elaborate on . I was thinking most vans cram all the engine and cooler etc into a very small space ?

I reckon that is spot on, as the rads are the same depth.

So the 'ideal' mod would be an external oil cooler, and a manual rad. Just a matter of sizing the external cooler correctly I suppose.

Some thought would need to go into heating the atf from cold though.

Pete

The ATF would heat itself from cold,lots of other vehicles come with factory fitted separate oil coolers.Some just have a pipe across the front of the vehicle for a cooler.

Back