Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Removable Rooftop tent

Willie

I also fitted a roof top tent to my cruiser.
With a difference removable.
Every time we stop to put up camp and get settled we are stuck for the remaining time.
So i decided to modify my setup and while busy add a room beneath.
may bee the first double storey tent??? :naughty:
To pitch this camp setup does not take me longer than 15-20 min in all.
Now if we decide to stay for longer than 1 night we pitch camp.
It is easy to take off, and to put back onto the vechile.
Now my vechile is free, we can go and game watch, go for night drive's etc.

DSC_0214.JPG DSC_0272.JPG

Oooooh my dad in Durban would be keen to know more on this as he also likes the idea of a base station that is removable so that your car is free to go on game drives first thing without having to packup home.

Any more details of how it all works?

warrenpfo said:
Oooooh my dad in Durban would be keen to know more on this as he also likes the idea of a base station that is removable so that your car is free to go on game drives first thing without having to packup home.

Any more details of how it all works?
Hi
Yes two bags one for left on for right which contains the legs and all the gadgets.
Slide legs on the left or right in first 3 legs on top
add bottom legs, adjust to take weight of tent
release secure clips x 4 that holds roof top tent in position
Now jack up aprox 20 mm on 4 legs
Drive out
Secure corners, stabilize structure
level out legs so tent is level
hang bottom tent which is almost 2 x the size of top tent, you can actual stand up in tent with ease.
10-20 min (2 people)
Take down easier than putting up.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
hi willie, we have been looking for something like this for so long! its a brilliant idea, would you share how you made the frame? we have a roof tent but have been looking at the oz tent and overlander tent and i came across your pictures. also could you please let me know how big it is to carry around etc?
:thumbup:
thanks in advance
andy

Hi
Yes two bags one for left on for right which contains the legs and all the gadgets.
Slide legs on the left or right in first 3 legs on top
add bottom legs, adjust to take weight of tent
release secure clips x 4 that holds roof top tent in position
Now jack up aprox 20 mm on 4 legs
Drive out
Secure corners, stabilize structure
level out legs so tent is level
hang bottom tent which is almost 2 x the size of top tent, you can actual stand up in tent with ease.
10-20 min (2 people)
Take down easier than putting up.

Hi Willie, I love the idea of being able to leave the rooftop tent set up - I'm over the pack-up whenever you want to go somewhere. If the plans are available to buy, I would be interested....
Can you either show me with pics, or describe how your tent is secured onto your roof racks - ours is bolted on with brackets - not an easy on/off system.
Also , can you give me some pics or plans of the frames you use for the legs .
Cheers,
Leanne

Hi Leanne,

Thanks for reviving this thread. I attempted to do something similar last year with little success… but it's not dead yet as I've now improved the detachment system but gone no further with the leg arrangement as I got a bit chicken after the first trial went wrong. I never knew this thread existed and would be really interested to see how this is going 6 years down the line if @Willie is still with us.

Hi Leanne,

Thanks for reviving this thread. I attempted to do something similar last year with little success… but it's not dead yet as I've now improved the detachment system but gone no further with the leg arrangement as I got a bit chicken after the first trial went wrong. I never knew this thread existed and would be really interested to see how this is going 6 years down the line if @Willie is still with us.

Hi there Star Cruiser, could you share your detachment system?
Cheers, Leanne

Have a look here Leanne, https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/posts/1444573/
Like I say, it's a flawed design that I've yet to make work. I have been a bit hard on myself with it, I don't think I gave it a fair crack of the whip, but it's something I may well return to, given Willies creation in this thread. I'd really like to know how Willy got on with his. If it worked and still exists or if, like mine, it looked like it would go 'Bambi' and land in a heap.

The attachment rails and the custom roof rack have been tweaked and improved so they work well now and have withstood 100mph (by sat Nav) on the German Autobahn so I'm pretty confident in them now.

I've been looking for this idea for some time, I would be very interested in it.
I will be attentive to the evolution of the thread.
Thanks.

Back