Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Removing OKO tyre sealant

Chemicals?

Give me strength. They hate the stuff because it does them out of work mending punctures. It's got nothing hazardous in it.

Have you stuck the spare on to see if it makes a difference to that particular wheel?

Chris

I'll move the wheels around on Saturday and see if there is any difference.

For the most part, it is gone and a lot better than it used to be. The odd thing that is happening now is something sets it off. This afternoon on the way home, 70mph, smooth as normal and I hit a bump in the road. Very small but enough to feel through the wheel. From then on, the vibration was there. No change in speed (cruise control) but the vibration stayed for a while and eventually went away (maybe 30 seconds or so later).
This happens a few times now on each trip.
As Tony pondered, could it be that the knock "upsets" the liquid inside causing the vibration until it settles again? An indication of having put to much in?

I'll call the OKO folks tomorrow and see if they have any pearls...

So £80 lighter and perfectly balanced wheels.

After being turned away from 2 tyre fitters, who who's name contains twit and the other rhymes with fraud, the friendly chaps at Continental said they would do it.
To speed the process up (I had already waited an hour), as the guy took the tyres off, I cleaned them out.

There was no way these things would ever have balanced. Some of the stuff had solidified against the inside of the tyre and formed a mat. The biggest was about the size of a slice of toast. I scraped it off and kept it to show the guys at OKO. The piece I scraped out weighed in at 55grams. The two front tyres had 3 mats each of various sizes, the rears had larger mats for some reason.

Two rolls of blue paper later and it is all out and nicely balanced.

IMAG0294.jpg

IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

I'll call the guys at OKO on Monday and see what they say. Last I spoke to them, they seemed quite concerned / confused about it.
Interesting though as the same batch is still in my wife's tyres and not a hint of a problem.

:shock: It'll be interesting to see what OKO have to say on Monday :think:

Mine is still sitting on my shelf - not sure if I want to use it now...

I would say try...

It is in my wife's tyres and there is no sign of a vibration. It's the same batch and even half of one of the bottles so I can only assume it is something that went wrong when I put it in. IIRC, I did about 15-20 miles on the highway and back roads enroute to the out-laws house, stood for a bit and then drove home. The vibration though was on the way there so... ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crispin said:
I would say try...

It is in my wife's tyres and there is no sign of a vibration. It's the same batch and even half of one of the bottles so I can only assume it is something that went wrong when I put it in. IIRC, I did about 15-20 miles on the highway and back roads enroute to the out-laws house, stood for a bit and then drove home. The vibration though was on the way there so... ?

Crispin,,>>>>I would say try...

BUT HAVE A SPARE £80 READY.

Graham

I did 45,000 miles with OKO in my BFG AT's. removed the tyres a few weeks back and sold them to a pal of mine. OKO was all liquid and easy to rinse out in less than 5 mins per wheel with the hose prior to him taking them.
Had new tyres fitted and put more OKO back in immediately after wheels balanced and prior to fitting wheels on truck. IMHO its more than worth the peace of mind.

No signs of matting like I had?

Sent from TapaTalk

As I have said previously, I've been using this stuff for years. Never had a problem, nor a puncture. I don't use the pink stuff though, I use the green. Odd looking phenomenon is that.

Chris

Just had a call back from Andy at OKO.

He's pretty confused and sounded genuinely concerned about it doing what it did. He's never heard of it happening before.
He wants me to send him some of it (I saved one of the mats) so he can send it on to the manufacturer. They do offer a warranty for it which he said he will sort out with the manufacturer.
Watch this space.

Quick update -

Had quite a few calls and emails with the boss man in Spain. He was genuinely confused by this. Said he had only seen it not work in some mine trucks in India and that was due to a bacteria attacking the stuff.
He sent me a cheque for £80 to cover the costs of having the stuff removed and asked if I would consider a new version they have coming out early this year.
So for now, I have my £80 back and will get some trial stuff (again, promised to make good if anything does not work with the trial) soon.

Bit of a bummer for me but can't really fault the after-sales service and money back.

If anyone who bought part of this batch has a problem with it (unbalancing, does not seal puncture etc), he would be interested to hear from you.

Crispin said:
Quick update -

Had quite a few calls and emails with the boss man in Spain. He was genuinely confused by this. Said he had only seen it not work in some mine trucks in India and that was due to a bacteria attacking the stuff.
He sent me a cheque for £80 to cover the costs of having the stuff removed and asked if I would consider a new version they have coming out early this year.
So for now, I have my £80 back and will get some trial stuff (again, promised to make good if anything does not work with the trial) soon.

Bit of a bummer for me but can't really fault the after-sales service and money back.

If anyone who bought part of this batch has a problem with it (unbalancing, does not seal puncture etc), he would be interested to hear from you.

Well you cant knock that level of service :thumbup:

Joe

Crispin said:

I removed the sealant I put in because the wheels would not balance. I do not drive the car I treated very often but the other half drives it every day. She had not told me about the vibration because she thought it was normal.

Luckily I get on really well with my local tyre bay. We spent some time experimenting with the balance machine. We got a wheel to balance, left it on the balance machine for 2 mins and then respun it. Out of balance by 20 - 30g. Rebalance and it went out again.

On removing the tyre it had done exactly the same as it did with Crispin.

Ian

Thanks Ian. I'll let them know and see what we can do.

Fridayman - have you used yours yet? It might not be a good idea unless you know your local tyre man really well.

Crispin said:
Fridayman - have you used yours yet? It might not be a good idea unless you know your local tyre man really well.

No, its sitting on the shelf and I don't think I want to use it now :(

Odd isn't it. I have used bottle after bottle of the green / grey stuff and never had a single issue. Never even knew there was a pink version. I would certainly not use that if that's all there was. The stuff I use is the off road version. now what makes it off road I have no idea, but it works fine.
OKO isn't the only brand of course.

Chris

The tyres I installed it in were brand new as were the wheels. I wonder if I should have keyed the surface before I put the sealant in.

Ian

maybe there's a chemical on the inside of the tyres it reacts with that wasn't in use when they developed and tested the product or they just never encountered it.

Back