Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Retractable door mirror.

brianmac

Country Flag
uk
Hi all
Anyone had problem with and sorted retractable door mirror going past normal position.
Think someone must have clouted it as think it should come against stop internally.
Read on few posts elsewhere that getting mirror off to check internals bit awkward but think
motor and stop may be in swivel part.
Any help most appreciated
Thanks
Brian

Have the same issue too drivers side been wacked here & there & open but don't close without assistance. Another project on the to do list Brian. Wish I could help you there think it's the mechanism inside needs attention.

I know the mechanism inside allows the mirror to go past it's normal limit of travel for this very reason. I have found if you fold it back against the window manually, then operate the folding switch a couple of times, it resets itself with a horrid sounding click.

The auto mirrors on my d4d are an optional extra inasmuch as they not me decided when they want to work :confusion-scratchh:

What are these auto mirrors of which you speak? the only way my mirrors fold is manually or hitting someone elses mirror but that often breaks the glass I have a binful of smashed ones, ask Karl. lol

The most annoying thing about my mirrors is that when I fold them in (manually) they don't move in one plane. Instead they flop about all over the place meaning a couple of minutes awkward work to get them set up in the correct place again. Toyota fail :techie-error:. There aren't many, so I forgive Mr T. You posh folk with your la-di-da electric folders wouldn't understand :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just to be helpful, on previous cars that I've had with electric folding mirrors, you could gently force them into their correct position if they got knocked. It made a nasty noise and I always feared that it would strip the plastic cogs in the mechanism but it never seemed to (besides, what have you got to lose?)

The mirrors on my truck don't need to fold because i don't live on a bus route and most car roofs will go under them without clipping :lol:

had the same issue, door mirrors kept goig past the required position and later on folding on to the body.
you can manually move the mirrors in the desired position accompanied with a loud clunk. after this hopefully the mirrors should work fine with the motor.
however if this keeps happening then the internal mechanism is worn off and the option is to have the whole mirror assembly replaced (repairs wont last long as i learnt). my recommendation is that if this happens then ditch them in favor of manually retractable mirrors.
the internal mechanism is not a good design and becomes faulty if mirrors are repeatedly retracted / opened manually.

Thanks all for input.
If I stop mirror by hand it stays there and folds back ok.
So going to have a go at setting manually.
Give her a wash today and found line down paint under mirror that wasn't there last week.
luckily its tcut out so looks something has gone down side of car.
Could have been worse.

Gonna attempt to fix mine in a long list of jobs to do & do a write up on it when I get round to it. Was told could get a CNC machine here at the university to make the part if needed to replace worn bits.

Had looked at replacing the mirrors completely but their hard to get without having your hand bitten off completely....lol

My passenger side won't always retract. But if something knocks it, I can press the retract button and they pull themselves in, with a loud clunk as it hits it's reset, then fold back out again.
It's a pretty useful thing to have, especially offroad.

Back