Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Reverse light and fuel 1 way valve on Colorado

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
Just couple questions regards the 90 series Colorado, is it just the passenger side reverse light that works from factory? Is the drivers side reverse lens a dummy.

Also, the fuel hoses that go from the engine side straight into my tank were replaced by previous owners with different mixture of various rubber hoses between the metal engine lines and the metal lines to the top of the tank. There's what I believe to be a 1 way valve in there too, is this standard can anyone tell me? Did they come with a 1 way valve from the factory?

Yep only one reverse light from factory but the non return valve was added probably while trying to work out why fuel was running back to the tank overnight , fuel filter bleeder sucking air is the most common reason and it fair to assume it was fixed/replaced - but why remove the inline valve when its a failsafe against future problems .

I gotta test this reverse light thing next time I have mine out. Fog lights are not required here (by law I mean; fog is still a thing here) so some cars come with them anyway and some cars have 2 reverse lights and no fog lights.

The reverse light is absolutely pathetic. When I got my Colorado four years ago I spent some time trying to figure out why the off side light wouldn't work!!!! I ended up buying a pair of after market LED rear lights and was amazed when I connected them up both of the rear reverse lights worked from the standard wiring. Ive since connected up the indicator bulbs and replaced the standard reverse bulbs for super bright LED ones. Wow what a difference.

if you pull the lights you will likely find no loom or bulb holders i bought aftermarket lights so they all work , many on the forum have done the same one way or another if you search

Yep only one reverse light from factory but the non return valve was added probably while trying to work out why fuel was running back to the tank overnight , fuel filter bleeder sucking air is the most common reason and it fair to assume it was fixed/replaced - but why remove the inline valve when its a failsafe against future problems .

I wasn't planning on removing it, I'm trying to work out what's what with the current hoses, between what's original and what's fitted by previous owners. The hoses are replaced as there was some blue silicon type hose used as a reducer to connect onto that 1 way valve.

I've had the tank off to repair some rust and clean / paint the whole underneath. I started it a couple of times since refitting whilst it's still on my lift but today it didn't want to start, i found a leak on the rubber hose between the tank and the engine lines where the rubber hose goes onto that 1 way valve. The hose was hangs down in a "U" shape, so I fitted a new shorter hose pipe so I could make it fit more straight and not hang down / kink in a "U" shape. It started then, with a little extra turn over, and started straight away when I turned it off / on immediately. However, I tried it 5 mins later and it started but struggled again for a min first.

I wouldn't mind buying the new correct oem hoses to have it fitted correctly.

I noticed my Low Fuel Light was showing on the dash sometimes too, or came on few mins after left idling if not straight away, despite there being about 20 litres in the tank, maybe when I was painting the tank and had it turned upside down etc,, the sender gauge within the tank got dislodged?

All I can find regards fuel in the official workshop manual is a single page relating to the tank assembly page 1051 and it doesn't show the hoses between the tank and the engine side.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I can't remember now what the fuel gauge sender actually looks like but it will only work the right way up . Sounds to me like you got air in the fuel lines Happened to me after i took the tank off for painting , fortunately though the fist time it failed to start was morning at camp in Germany so i had Starcruiser pressurizing the fuel tank filler with compressed air while fbnss pumped like mad on the fuel filter bleeder while lay under the truck and disconnected/reconnected the pipe returning fuel to the tank .

So the Australian domestic market mid end models might not have airbags or ABS, A/C may have been an option, but it's 2 reverse lights FTW!

Excuse the poser he wouldn't move out the way. Ignition was on with engine not running and handbrake on

Attachments

• 0_20200601_171125(1).jpg
    0_20200601_171125(1).jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 23
I had removed my lamp and saw only wiring to the 1 lens, just 2 wires. Was just double checking before I send it in to the test, to be honest I never remember thinking the reverse lights were poor, I never have a need for using them, I suppose they might be of use if you're hooking on trailers at night time or something? What do you folk that find them to be crap actually ever use them for?

I removed the fuel hoses and the 1 way valve there now and cut the hose off square and put new clips on and the leak is stopped now. I also went and got more fuel in a jerrycan and threw that in and it's starting better and the gauge seems to be working now, I need to get more fuel in to check, last of my cill paint is drying so don't want to take it off my lift just yet. Maybe there wasn't as much fuel in it as I thought, I had drained it completely when painting it, thought I would have had the guts of 20L back in it but maybe not. I'll find out later in the week anyway if all is ok.

Checked the fuel hoses again tonight and It was still leaking on me, it seems to be leaking either from the metal hose that's fixed to the tank itself, this metal hose is a little rusty as can be seen in the pic, when I had the tank off I cut a little bit off this pipe as it was rusty and holed but it looked ok further up.

Anyway, I took off all the hose pieces including the 1 way valve thing and replaced all that with a single tight fitting clear hose to determine if the leak was the rubber hoses or the metal pipe attached to the tank.

It's the clear hose seen in the pics below that I'm interested to know if there was a 1 way valve fitted by Toyota within this section of hose or what the oem toyota set-up looks like. ie: Is the oem set-up just a single hose like I have now.

Engine side of clear hose
Engine-Side.jpg

Tank side of clear hose
Tank-End.jpg

Toyota doesn't use one way valves in the fuel lines , its likely the previous owner was trying to fix problems caused by the perforated metal pipe on the fuel tank with the valves .

That hose doesn't look fuel rated either. I'd replace it with some better quality hose. That stuff will get stiff and be hard to seal. The check valve isn't a bad idea, but if the system is well sealed then fuel will have no reason to drain back to the tank.

That hose doesn't look fuel rated either. I'd replace it with some better quality hose. That stuff will get stiff and be hard to seal. The check valve isn't a bad idea, but if the system is well sealed then fuel will have no reason to drain back to the tank.

I just stuck that hose on temporarily as its the only clear hose I had and it fitted perfect, it's just so I can see the air bubbles and leak if present.

Back