Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

RIP Niki Lauda

A legend from a “real drivers” era when the cars did little and the man in the cockpit did everything else unlike the push button computer controlled “cars” we now have. IMO the grand prix stars of today are nothing in comparison. RIP.

A legend from a “real drivers” era when the cars did little and the man in the cockpit did everything else unlike the push button computer controlled “cars” we now have. IMO the grand prix stars of today are nothing in comparison. RIP.
Yes TP you are absolutely right, modern F1 is nothing more that a procession of fast cars, no real driving 'skill' needed.

A survivor of a very dangerous but thrilling sport. I used to watch every race. The cars were simple and you could understand what every part of the car did just by having taken your morris minor apart.

No driver aids apart from a limited slip differential.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Watch the DVD Rush, Story of the Lauder and Hunt rivalry, Classic.... Two great Legends

Sad day. I’m not sure if it was Rush or a documentary I saw but I admired his instinctive ability to determine what was right and wrong with a car’s setup. His involvement with Mercedes in recent years I’m certain has been a huge part of getting them where they are today.

I don’t agree with the ‘procession’ label. There have been many changes, not simply drivers aids but test beds for mainstream road cars. There are less communications allowed and flaps in the wing that open up if within one second of the car in front in an overtaking zone as well as the Kinetic Energy Recovery System which the driver can use and manage. Add to this one Max Verstappen who’s been schooled by his pop since age 4 and you get some pretty exciting racing. The cars are safer. The Hans devices save neck injuries. Niki Lauder’s flaming crash almost certainly would be non flaming and a walk away incident now.

I do agree though that increased safety makes the thrill less edgy. If that’s the right word. Seeing 1930s Bugattis and Bentleys with their drivers high in their seats and still hurtling at break neck speed has a certain thrill that seems lost on the newer cars.

Farewell Niki, a true legend.

The huge leaps in racing safety have come about primarily by improved car construction, reinforced monocoque cockpit construction, fuel cells replacing tanks, vastly superior brakes and tyre compound, improved driver PPE and track safety features designed to accomodate the performance of modern cars unlike in the 60’s and 70’s when they were still racing on tracks virtually unchanged since pre war days. Jackie Stewart was a big advocate of safety improvements in his day but Bernie Ecclestone was the man who made much of it happen.
Keep all the safety stuff, dump all the “decision making” electronics and give the drivers a steering wheel, conventional gear lever and 3 pedals. Might even start watching it again. JMO

Like any modern car, alas the computer has taken over. Decision making? Not sure what there is to do that, speed limiter for the pit lane maybe, anti stall, ok. There are setups that the driver can change, several engine maps to conserve fuel, but these have to be selected. There is no more refuelling, the race has to be run innthe same amount of fuel as everyone else. Engines can no longer be rebuilt or swapped out, there are a set number for each season, all the teams have the same. The same with the tyres, there’s only a certain number allowed for practice, qualifying and the race and each compound has to be used, these are still changed by hand with nitrogen powered nut guns. Pit radio is limited. This is all designed to make racing fairer and more enjoyable. Less of a procession.

Alas Sky TV now owns the broadcast rights, except, I’m told, Silverstone, so I cannot watch.
I do prefer the classic racing at a Goodwood though.

Like any modern car, alas the computer has taken over. Decision making? Not sure what there is to do that, speed limiter for the pit lane maybe, anti stall, ok. There are setups that the driver can change, several engine maps to conserve fuel, but these have to be selected. There is no more refuelling, the race has to be run innthe same amount of fuel as everyone else. Engines can no longer be rebuilt or swapped out, there are a set number for each season, all the teams have the same. The same with the tyres, there’s only a certain number allowed for practice, qualifying and the race and each compound has to be used, these are still changed by hand with nitrogen powered nut guns. Pit radio is limited. This is all designed to make racing fairer and more enjoyable. Less of a procession.
I think because of all those restrictions on all cars, they are now equalised, that is what makes it more procession like.

A total legend. Someone (and there aren't many) I always dreamed of meeting. One of my favourite stories (hope its true)... he and Hunt were closer than 'Rush' depicts... he was in the next hotel room to Hunt on the eve of the Japanese GP. In the morning he goose stepped into Hunts room while Hunt was still in bed with his girlfriend and shouted 'Today I vill win ze world championship!"

Amazing man.

Back