Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2016

Hi all,

Maramures county is one of the beautiful area from Romania. Is in north of Romania.
Excelent area including for offroad. Excelent tracks, landscape, people and original tradition and history.
If someone want to come here, i can be guide for you or i cand give you tracks and informations.

If administrators give me permision, i cand post our website with usefull informations about Maramures county

www.maramuresguide.com

*delete if is not acording with forum rules

10245463_10203621686853656_8586426657008696569_n.jpg

Hi all,
Maramures county is one of the beautiful area from Romania. Is in north of Romania.
Excelent area including for offroad. Excelent tracks, landscape, people and original tradition and history.
If someone want to come here, i can be guide for you or i cand give you tracks and informations.

Can't argue with that Max, Maramures is largely untouched by human intervention, and the scenery is stunning. Lots of traditional villages and houses, and customs. :thumbup:

I had a sleepless night...because ot Maramures. Found some good stuff on the net to read. Then maps, distance calculations etc.and ...it was 3:30 in the morning:)

I had a sleepless night...because ot Maramures. Found some good stuff on the net to read. Then maps, distance calculations etc.and ...it was 3:30 in the morning:)

:lol: Too much information.... It's quite a way even for me George, and I'm half way there from your place :icon-rolleyes::lol:

After the 12000km I did on the Morocco trip 800+ sounds like a joke to me.:)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Someone will have to start a list soon ....

Quite a lot of interest in this trip already....

I'm still collecting info and early Jan. will start suggesting places to visit...Whatever we do by the end of April we should have a clear idea what we''ll be doing. I liked Sibiu and would like to visit again for more than the 3 hours I was in the city this summer. The castle in Sigisoara seems like an interesting place to visit. Not because of Dracula:) Wooden churches in Maramures, I'm impressed. Of course one place for sure I'd like to visit at least for a cup of coffee and meet Clive.

Last edited:
May i reserve the same spot at the bottom of your garden for Helen's little house on the prairie again please Clive .

I'm still collecting info and early Jan. will start suggesting places to visit...Whatever we do by the end of April we should have a clear idea what we''ll be doing. I liked Sibiu and would like to visit again for more than the 3 hours I was in the city this summer. The castle in Sigisoara seems like an interesting place to visit. Not because of Dracula:) Wooden churches in Maramures, I'm impressed. Of course one place for sure I'd like to visit at least for a cup of coffee and meet Clive.

With you there George, but as you know, it takes a long time to get next to nowhere on Romanian roads. To do a tour with longish stays at each stop, you'll need a few weeks here...

The Romania 2015 mob were using my place as a base this year, and a round trip to Fagaras, the transfagarasian, and via Cumpulung back to Comarnic was a 12 hrs trip, with minimal stops...

It may be better for us to have some overnight stops on the Romania 2016 event, if my place is considered favorite as a base. I'd imagine a mixed bunch, where some would like to stay and others to just call in.

Coffee, tea and BBQ, beer some wine, always available at short notice guys :lol:

got this today from the own/guide of the landrover i will use when i go back to Romania in May

my idea was like last time go up to the brasov area then go east and north, rather than west, it's mountains and forest all the way. I also have a couple who live here in the summer ,Barry & Debbie who i go out with every month here, they want to come along as well, like us they are serious off roaders you will like them. when we are here i was thinking that we could do from my place in the north up to the top of the mountains camp out then down to the south to there place all off road, this is some thing we have been working on for a wile a two day trip from north to south totally off road , then spend the rest of the time in the mountains. we have done a lot of exploring since you were last here

NO TARMAC is the order of the trip or as little as poss, wild camping

Can't wait

got this today from the own/guide of the landrover i will use when i go back to Romania in May
NO TARMAC is the order of the trip or as little as poss, wild camping. Can't wait

Depending on the amount of (real) interest in this trip, and we all know that numbers may fall as the date gets closer, it looks like there may be enough trucks to divide into 2 main groups, one that is looking forward to hard core offroad and those that may want a mixture of leasure days some tracks and a bit of sightseeing of castles, towns and villages and such.

If that's the case, and we'll only know by interested party's mentioning what they prefer in their posts, then we can plan a bit in advance how we're going to manage this to everyone's enjoyment.

I can look after day trips from my place for those that prefer to use it as a base, and I'm open to suggestions on where they might take us.

Ratrace seems to have a good plan brewing for the 2 weeks of grass and mud he's looking forward to, so there'll be a bit of everything for everyone, by the looks of it! :thumbup:

Not that I am adverse to a bit of hard core 11066800_10152757207307913_7370025192650950106_n.jpg but for a holiday sort of trip I would go more for a mixture of leasure days some tracks and a bit of sightseeing. The sort of things we did on the last trip was just about perfect.

I will take both on alternate days for 6 months please :icon-biggrin: suppose i better run that by the mrs before i sign though :|

Reluctantly getting back to reality , last year we had 5 days at your house and it was great . On the final day i was up at 6 and it took me until about 4pm to convince myself we really should start for home which about says it all :violin:

The whole trip was a learning curve for everyone and with your Mother Hen attitude Clive i'm sure it was the most stressful holiday you have ever taken . Note to self take a big stick next time for when he tries to pay for everyone's icecream , burgers , admission fee , its not a school outing :lol:

I am sure next year things will fall into place pretty much of their own accord as there will be a few of us with enough local knowledge to find the bank , oil , or tobacco :icon-rolleyes: who would believe rolling tobacco is difficult to find in Romania :crazy: and that should lighten your load a little .

Personally i think you did a very good job of keeping us all entertained and if anything you put too much effort into showing us the wonders and beauty Romania has to offer , the weather upset your plans a couple of times and i could see you were disappointed but we weren't , the copper stopping us then letting us continue is a story to treasure even if it resulted from our missing the views :lol:

2 great days (and a few muddy shortcuts besides) off road out of 5 is hardly a poor result given what we did on the other days , shame Mike missed those 2 days but he will insist on driving a Landrover :confusion-shrug:

Last edited:
Aha, I think I might have a solution to the tobacco crisis Shayne, I know a guy who knows a guy or two that may be of assistance here. My cunning plan is to take orders for tobacco 2 weeks before arrival, that way I will likely be able to set up my own baccy shop on the premises!

As for the rest of your comments, you're very gracious, and I'm not convinced it's worthy, but that's a different story. Thanks anyway :thumbup:

I wasn't stressed at all really, just disappointed by the weather, but I'm glad it didn't spoil it for you.

I do want folks to feel free and not tied to any tour operator schedule, but like other similar circumstances, total freedom ends up with nobody doing anything quite as worthwhile as it would be with a bit of organization.

Im a bit busy at the moment, but when time allows, I propose to draw up a schedule of interest, as I did with the Romania 2015 trip, but this time I'll keep it up to date. This way, the ones that prefer to go Offroad and wild camp will become evident and then better arrangements can be made for those who prefer to use my place as a base for day trips. It still won't stop some of those trips being an overnight, if preferred, I quite fancy that myself.

Right, Clive the tobacco baron
bravo-009.gif
, and Clive the tour guide would suit me fine.
champion-018.gif

Back