Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roof tents

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
Thinking about a Scandinavian trip,presuming a hotel night would be about £100,so after a few weeks it would pay for itself.
I like the look of the James Baroud hardshell range.
What's a good roof tent then?
Just for sleeping...
Cheers

We have a tufftrek mk2 hardshell. That is the only one we’ve ever used, so cannot compare to anything else, but really like it! Three daughters (7-12 years) sleeps comfortably. We like the wide awning for rainy weather.

What's a good roof tent then?

There are so many variations so plenty of research is required. On the 80 is an old Maggiolina. It does us for green laning but it's compromise is size. We also have an ikamper which gives a fair bit more floor space and also a Howling Moon fold over type on the Metalian trailer. The advantage of the fold over type is when deployed is extra space at the end.
next we are going to look at the Alu Cab type which opens up from one end and goves more headroom.
I'd say look at second hand, there are lots for sale by people who thought it was a good idea at the time.
Buy the best and most well regarded rather than a budget version.

I didn't want a roof tent but eventually accepted it is the most convenient way to travel .

Somewhere for 2 of us to sleep that wasn't wider than the 80's very narrow roof was my only search criteria which eventually led me to the smallest hardtop China sell that turned out to be the second largest roof tent i've ever seen when open , the ikamper is same style and bigger .

Downside is because it folds out it takes up two car parking spaces which could potentially cause aggro in places your not supposed to camp and several times while driving through Europe the intended camp proved not to exist any more so we ended up in McDonalds car park or some such .

Oh and it annoys me that mine won't fold down with bedding and pillows in , I will get around to modifying it one day so it can .

Would be nice to just fold it shut with the bedding inside.
Do they come with an access ladder?

Mine did but my truck is so high it didn't reach the ground . I used the original brackets to fit a telescopic ladder cut to the correct length and you wouldn't know its not original . The ladder on mine is essential in it is actually the lever that erects and puts down the tent .

Took the mrs almost a year to give me an ear bashing when she realized the loft ladder was missing .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
iKamper erected

IMG_1776.JPG

Pathfinder erected. This erects electrically from a fob. we quite liked it, it would fold down with the bedding still in it, as would the iKamper and the Maggi.

IMG_2018.JPG

Maggi erected.

IMG_1026.JPG

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Selling my Bundutec Bundutop king size. Arguably one of the best tents on the market. Electric open and close, press a button, 19seconds and it's up. 10cm mattress. Keep bedding inside. Usb charging points. Built in light.

Has a 315w solar panel on the roof. Telescopic ladder and comes with the add a room side awning.

See the listing in the classifieds.

2881.jpg

Mind you i still have maybe a third of the roof rack free to store bedding and stuff .

I have an ezi awn fold over tent for sale with the room below.
I also have a maggy Columbus tent that I'm going to get rid of.

The JBs are great i am on my 2nd but considering selling that to be fair. We are looking to do more trips as a family of 4 so thinking a hybrid trailer from SA is on the cards.

The JBs have lots of plus points, they are very well ventilated can almost be fully opened and have a really nice ladder to walk up bare footed. Only beaten by the howlingmoon ladder. They are quick to put up and down on your own with a couple of mods done. They are fairly light weight for a hard shell and brillent in the wind. I have used mine between Feb and November previously with a decent sleeping bag.

Any questions just shout
20220925_154229.jpg
20220828_074438.jpg

You know, that would be a good buy with the room below as a first foray into RT tenting.

I agree with @AndycruiserguyLomas

Although I will eventually go for a clamshell tent for ease of opening / closing, like the new Bush Company one.

I still use the 'fold over' type (Howling Moon) with the additional annex, because we still, on occasions, stop over for more than 1 or 2 nights, so the Mrs really likes the additional annex, as it's a real bonus, particularly when the weather's not so good!

Attachments

• J80 Roof TentAnnex.jpg
    J80 Roof TentAnnex.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 7
I’d give a second vote to James Baroud. They are much higher quality than most. So long as you don’t get the one with a load space on top they’ll accommodate your bedding. Having previously had a JB clamshell I’d have one again but would absolutely get the larger size. The medium is too small. Needs to be XL to get comfortable amount of space.

In terms of what we can get in this country I’d say JB are bettered only by Bundutec but the latter are considerably heavier and less aerodynamic.

I have the load space in mine and can get 2 mattresses, king-size quilt and pillows no issues. The load space is handy for fire wood and also bag of clothes.

I've got a howling moon one like Bodie has. I love the amount of space it has inside it, I'm a bit over 6ft and my mrs is quite tall too, but both have loads of room in it.
it's super quick to put up and down, nothing like the electric ones, but hardly more than 10 mins max

Attachments

• IMG-20240529-WA0015.jpeg
    IMG-20240529-WA0015.jpeg
    517.9 KB · Views: 5
I’d give a second vote to James Baroud. They are much higher quality than most. So long as you don’t get the one with a load space on top they’ll accommodate your bedding. Having previously had a JB clamshell I’d have one again but would absolutely get the larger size. The medium is too small. Needs to be XL to get comfortable amount of space.

In terms of what we can get in this country I’d say JB are bettered only by Bundutec but the latter are considerably heavier and less aerodynamic.
What's the choice of sizes?
I was thinking the medium would suit one person and a dog?
My wife doesn't camp...

Plenty of room for 2 adults in the 1.4 i have.

What's the choice of sizes?
I was thinking the medium would suit one person and a dog?
My wife doesn't camp...
Medium is 200x140cm, XL is 220x160cm. These are external dimensions so internal is less. Clamshells lose a good 20cm of usable length. I am 182cm and the Medium clamshell was too short for me to lie out straight without my head touching the fabric, which was annoying.

Internal dimensions of the Medium size are a small double at best. Very small for two people. One man and a dog should be okay in a medium so long as you’re not too tall and the dog not too large! I could sleep in my clamshell comfortably when on my own as I could lie diagonally.

All depends on personal preferences for comfort. I personally would want an XL if I was getting a clamshell again just so I had a reasonable amount of space to move and accommodate another if needed. If the coffin style, length is less of an issue but 1m headroom isn’t a lot…

Back