Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Scotland Rally 2024 (Roadtrip) and some camping afterwards!

Brecht

Country Flag
belgium
My girlfriend and I are planning to participate in the Scotland Rally 2024 with my landcruiser 90 SWB. A fun trip driving 1800km within 6 days

Day 1: Calais- Stonehenge
Day 2: Stonehenge- Snowdonia
Day 3: Snowdonia - Lake District
Day 4: Lake District - Edinburgh
Day 5: Edinburgh - Isle of Skye
Day 6: Isle of Skye - Loch Ness

Quite a lot of driving but I hope that there is some time to do some hiking. Don't mind arriving at the camp in the dark. After this we've got 3 days to visit some places or do a little overlanding and I hope some wild camping with beautiful views.

Do you guys have some suggestions for the last 3 days? Was planning drive a bit of the way back towards Dover withing those 3 days.
Would some to hear about recommendations and experiences!

What is this Scotland rally ?
You can find it at scotlandrally.org I believe.
It is organized by a group of dutch people (I think) just like the Budapest Rally and the Viking Rally. A road trip through a country/country driving by/through the most beautiful scenery in the area. And you can complete challenges on the way.

Same concept as a garbage run, but not necessarily with cheap cars.

So they get you to Scotland and leave you to find your own way back?

Depending on how many days you have, there are quite a few nice things to get up to in that part of the world. You could even try and do a whiskey crawl or get on the nc500 route

Depending on how many days you have, there are quite a few nice things to get up to in that part of the world. You could even try and do a whiskey crawl or get on the nc500 route
Yes, a bit weird but It was also with the Carbagerun I did. But you ended closer to the point that we've started.

Kinda sad that I only have 3 days afterwards (it ends Thursday evening and I need to be back home in Belgium on monday. But it's a nice 'intro' so to speak to Scotland and I hope my girlfriend will love it and wants to go back a 10 days.

What's a whiskey crawl? I could do a bit of the nc500 route, but I guess it will be crowded. And wouldn't be able to do the whole route.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The Kintyre peninsula is pretty and unlikely to be overly busy as the nc500 routes cuts across the top.
1000010839.jpg

I lived in Northumberland until my twenties,the Northumbrian coastline is worth checking out as you head south.

Bear in mind that getting anywhere in that area of Scotland takes bloody ages, although it is beautiful. Loch Ness to Belgium is a 2 day, 8 hours a day drive, so you're not going to have much time for long walks.

Unless you really like driving, I wonder if you are biting off more than your can chew in your week off. Perhaps either commit to a Scotland trip, drive straight to Scotland and have a week of exploring there, or do a smaller, slower tour of England????

I've been to Scotland loads of times - I love it there, but I never fail to under estimate how long it takes get from one place to another.

Given your current route, I don't think you're going to have much time to do any decent length hiking, which is a shame because both Snowdonia and the Lake District have some amazing hiking.

That said, to answer your question, I would spend your time in the Cairngorms which are on route home, and then make a beeline for Dover.

Just a thought.....

The Pennines are quite nice and unless it's a coldsnap, they are very walker friendly. Also closer to Dover.

I lived in Northumberland until my twenties,the Northumbrian coastline is worth checking out as you head south.
Something that I'll put on my list! It's on the way down and some time at the beach would be nice, if the weather is allowing it.

Bear in mind that getting anywhere in that area of Scotland takes bloody ages, although it is beautiful. Loch Ness to Belgium is a 2 day, 8 hours a day drive, so you're not going to have much time for long walks.

Unless you really like driving, I wonder if you are biting off more than your can chew in your week off. Perhaps either commit to a Scotland trip, drive straight to Scotland and have a week of exploring there, or do a smaller, slower tour of England????

I've been to Scotland loads of times - I love it there, but I never fail to under estimate how long it takes get from one place to another.

Given your current route, I don't think you're going to have much time to do any decent length hiking, which is a shame because both Snowdonia and the Lake District have some amazing hiking.

That said, to answer your question, I would spend your time in the Cairngorms which are on route home, and then make a beeline for Dover.

Just a thought.....
I get what you are saying, the first 6 days will be full of driving, through the beautiful sceneries. During the 'rally' (more of a road trip), there are daily challenges you can compete in, with the Carbagerun I did 2 years ago we went all out on the challenges and didn't win anything with it. So with just tossing the challenges aside, I hope to get some more time to enjoy the areas we visit!

With a limited amount of vacation days in the summer, I hope that it will be worth it.
The drive home will be a bit shorter (I hope), Google maps says it's 1300km give or take on the highway. difficult to pinpoint the way back home. But I think we'll manage it.

And we also enjoy driving around, and with a group of cars, it gives a fantastic vibe.

Cairngorms will be added to my list definitely.

The Pennines are quite nice and unless it's a coldsnap, they are very walker friendly. Also closer to Dover.
So many beautiful places! Here in Belgium there are quite a lot of little areas, but nowhere to camp with a 4x4. Every way into a forest is secured or forbidden to use.

Something that I'll put on my list! It's on the way down and some time at the beach would be nice, if the weather is allowing it.
From Berwick to Tynemouth,it's about 100km of protected coastal areas and access is no problem.
Good luck mate

Back