Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Seat Belt Reel

Mal Eade

Country Flag
england
Hi All

My truck just failed the MOT because the passenger seat belt reel did not stop the belt quick enough.

It's ok if you snatch it quick but on a normal pull wont arrest the movement.

Is there a fix or is it a new second hand one ????

Any one got a spare one handy ??

I think the tester is a member of the ramblers and dislikes 4x4's. Well, he doesn't like mine anyway told me it was over the top and should not be used for day to day use. Nice man eh

Mal

A 'normal' pull won't stop the belt, the whole point of them is to allow movement exept in an accident of course, I'd find another tester if you vcan.

Jeesh Mal

Sounds like it's time to use another testing station.

Usually when the reels go they are fubar. The mechanism is a sealed unit and the spring tires with age.
On the top of the reel is a belt guide that if it has collected dirt can slow the belt so may be worth checking before you spend out on a replacement.

You can swap them easily by the way without having to take it all apart. The belt unrolls and there is a little cleat arrangement thingy. You can just swap the inertia bit. Karl may well be able to help you out as he did for me!

Chris

Ecky Thump said:
Jeesh Mal

Sounds like it's time to use another testing station.

Usually when the reels go they are fubar. The mechanism is a sealed unit and the spring tires with age.
On the top of the reel is a belt guide that if it has collected dirt can slow the belt so may be worth checking before you spend out on a replacement.
Mine aren't sealed, I've taken them apart to remove the mud that had stopped the little ball from rolling and 'jamming' the belt

Think mr vosa man needs to go and visit your tester.
As i understand they shouldnt lock up on normal pulling out.
Karl

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
old ones don't lock on pulling sharply, new ones do though. i replaced my drivers side one and this now locks on pulling sharply. as it happens, the whole assembly was £50 from the local toyota dealer, so not too devastating.

Hi callum. My old belts lock when pulling sharply and have done on most trucks ive had. Only problem ive ever had with them is not returning back into the real or frayed/cut. Now that is a mot fail,as you would expect.
Thanks karl

My front belts don't arrest when pulled sharply - they lock when I brake/stop sharply.

The rear ones do stop when pulled sharply.

Piers

go to a new garage as you will have to pay vosa 50 pound to test your car if your not happy with how it was tested at the mot test station sounds like he was a right ass

Hi all

Thanks for all the advise but got over the problem by taking out all the seats and seat belts left in the drivers and went for a re-test.
It passed

He was not a happy bunny but there was sweet F.A. he could do about it.

Cheers Paul sill waiting to see the truck

Mal :flags-wavegreatbritain:

Back