Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Seat belt tensioners again...

Ducktape

Hi guys,

I've searched a few sites and oter forums, but can't really find the answer I'm looking for...

I also need to remove and clean the seat belts on my Cruiser '02 KDJ95 as they don't fully retract without assistance anymore and passengers are slamming them closed in the doors... I need to remove the seat belt reel/retractor to remove the belt and wash it, hopefully then also wind it up further a couple of turns to make it retract easier, but I don't want to set off the airbags in the process...
I believe there is a white clip at the bottom of the retractor which need to be removed first to disable the airbag from being deployed. Have anyone done this and advise on "how to". Thanks in advance, any help will be appreciated.

This is another thread I've come across, but did not say anything about the airbag cable or pre-tentioner which apparently have an explosive charge inside...
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/minutemods/seatbelt/

I have the same problem with mine and with the same questions i went to see my mate who is the techy at my local toyota dealer......basiclly there is nothing that can be done to retention them on the 95's :( .

Steve

Snap :x I would also like a fix for this as my wife is always slamming the seatbelt in the door. its a very poor design by toyota.

Joe

Spoke to Mr. T today and well 3 hours later all I could determine was that Mr T suggest that you "do not remove the seat belt tentioners"... Well then, everso the more reason to get in there and do it to prove them wrong.... :liar:

One warning though. There is a big capacitor which hold the charge for the airbag and seat belt pre-tentioner device. Mr. T suggest to disconnect the batteries and go have a cup of tea for 5min before attempting to remove these, also to finish reinstalling everything first before reconnecting the batteries. If you don't the airbags & pre-tentioners might pop and or you will have a flashing warning light on the dash which will have you back at the dealers to cancel/clear - for a small fee ofcoarse... :doh:

Good luck and let us know how you get on. I'll do the rear ones first I think... ;)

Back