Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sexy

I’ve got a beta in my boat, not that big though, think its about a 50 hp, been very happy with it for the last 10 years or so, bought it new to replace the old Perkins.

I have no doubt that 150 is down tuned to fit fishing license requirements hence i posted it up here thinking maybe its an alternative choice for the Cummins Cruiser crowd .

I didn't realise the fishing licence was subject to KW. Is that for Direct propulsion only or if you say installed a hydraulic gearbox and then ran other hydraulics off it is it still limited?

KW is listed on the license and you can get one to fit just about anything - at a price . They stopped issuing them long ago when a mighty powerful 60ft boat was likely built around a 110hp Gardner so that license now is only good for an under 10m boat running a small engine .

This is the best under 10m license i can see on that website at a quick glance under 10 mtr licence, wales - Ad 104930 - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

oh and KW is the engine they all have hydraulics and reduction box etc none of that is noted .

Last edited:
So what is the logic behind it I wonder. Does a smaller engine mean less fish

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You should be able to do anything once Brexit is done? Joking aside what's the logic behind restrictions?

"Logic" :think: you best put that question to a football stadium full of honest politicians on christmas day when its snowing in the shadow of a total eclipse .

LOL. OK i'll rephrase the question .What's their bullshit excuse ?

I will guess it results from memo's half read by people who have no knowledge of nor interest in the industry at all . Limiting hp might have made sense somewhere along the line (35 years ago ?) because you can't tow a lorry with a moped = you have to use smaller nets or opt for a different method of fishing . In the abstract it feels more like a well disguised one step at a time coup along similar lines of supermarkets buying up corner shops .

Fact is the whole system is a mess of well meaning stupidity . If it was up to me i'd scrap all that's gone before while recognizing those who already hold a commercial fishing license have invested heavily in a commitment to preserve fish stocks - its their livelihood at stake !

So a universal law that no species can be sold before reaching a set maturity and target species gear governance . Rules and regulation should be aimed solely at merging a whole heap of wild card individuals into working towards a viable economic plan and giving freedom to diversify is an essential part of that plan .

A 10,000hp 100 metre boat cannot catch more than a 200hp 20 metre boat if both are limited to using the same net .

I'm no expert in all this though like everyone else i found my corner bought a boat and license to match and i will eek out a living from it until i'm dead with no hope of climbing any ladders and saying a silent prayer the next rule doesn't put me out of business .

Throwing dead fish back into the sea is wrong , but so is landing them , its a decision that cannot be made from afar its the skippers call , he looks at the weather forecast , he looks at the fuel gauge , he looks at the men on the deck who have families to feed , the correct conclusion protects fish stocks and finances its self governing - nobody wants to catch fish that are worthless given what they cost to catch .

In the abstract it feels more like a well disguised one step at a time coup along similar lines of supermarkets buying up corner shops .
sounds about right .my understanding is that the UK government decided to allow rights/permissions to be traded as assets , the logic being that a market based system would be best.as with most other areas that this was applied to inevitably big players ended up with all the assets.

If it was up to me i'd scrap all that's gone before while recognizing those who already hold a commercial fishing license have invested heavily in a commitment to preserve fish stocks - its their livelihood at stake !
except those who invest in big operations from afar.Their interest is to tear the arse out of it asap & then move on to something else.

Starting to sound like independence day of the territorial waters where the bad guys strip fish our waters but then have to travel to the cape of good hope because they have strip fished uk irish and european waters let's just hope they find a plentiful amount of water on mars so the greedy bastards have to invest crippling amounts of money for factory ships for very little return from what i remember from my younger days of the gun boat disputes and associated disasters the UK fishing fleet has been decimated and those that have stayed the course have my utmost admiration and those who start to eek a living to support themselves and families well don't think there are enough word to say how mad and wonderful YOU ARE

There was something on the news last week about North Sea fishing and fish stocks and the use of huge "Mega Trawlers" pulling nets 1 mile long but as they were in international waters it was legal. I think is said they were Dutch.

Frustrating part is it does not and cannot work , every fisherman lusts after a bigger and better boat but your boat dictates what percentage of catch is dedicated to running costs . Its a very competitive game and it should piss me off that his boat is better than mine - but it doesn't because i know he can only fish the same gear as me , i can start earning once i have say 50 boxes of fish aboard whereas he needs 100 boxes before he starts earning .

Again its self governing , if factory ships make a profit at all its because the value of fish doubles , trebles and quadruples just as soon as it reaches dry land and no longer belongs to the fishermen .

A great tax dodge if your a trillionaire .

Last edited:
That engine looks like the Iveco derived one fitted in CNH tractors known as the NEF engine .... in either 4 or 6 cylinder form..... it's bomb proof and an ex tractor engine would be a better base than a marine one ..... however most AG ones are common rail and would need the engine ECU and that would in turn be looking for the trans ECU ....so electrically it may be a bit complicated .....they do have mechanical injection versions but these are not the best as the FIPs are running high pressures

They are also bloody heavy as are Cummins because they are stressed to be part of the chassis so the car would be front heavy ...

Yep i did some digging and found its an Iveco variously rated up 400hp .

those that have stayed the course have my utmost admiration and those who start to eek a living to support themselves and families well don't think there are enough word to say how mad and wonderful YOU ARE

Not me mate not any more , i stay home dealing with the headaches and gambling stupid money so the men on my deck can make a life for themselves doing the only thing they know . When things go well i make maybe a 15% return on my investment and when they don't i go backwards that much , but hey ho i wanted to do something worthwhile when it seemed i would permanently be a hospital patient and it keeps me occupied even if i spend far too much time trying to make sure the lads get paid for the work they do even when i dont .

Shayne sounds like Springsteens early years where he made sure the band got paid so you is the BOSS Shayne a bloke I worked with had a boat down at Rye Harbour and said a boat is a hole in the water you just keep throwing money into problem is it never fills up some have all but given up fishing for a living and gone down the tourist route with fishing trips and the sight seeing trips I know tis the shit trip but for some it keeps them going sea faring prostitution for others don't know where you are based on the coast and tourism is at a low could you do this could you tolerate that for a living

A very nice charter boat Swiftline 10.6mtr Swiftcat, Anstruther - Ad 110203 - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

It's commercial fishing equivalent Gemini GF12, Scrabster - Ad 112465 - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Charters have to work on strict catch and return rules , its a way to finance your own hobby really , a second job or a few quid on top of your pension .

It's nice to imagine i might end my days ferrying tourists around the bay but reality bites coz i'm 48 and selling the boat is my pension plan .

Back