Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Short Wave Radio Service Needed.

frank rabbets

Guru
I have bought a 1944 RCA AR88D short wave radio receiver. It works but does need "looking over and service". Now I'm not fussy I just want it to work a bit better. Obviously it's a paying job and I can take the receiver anywhere in UK. I have the circuit diagrams and handbook. I wonder if anyone on here can do it or knows anyone ?

Thanks

Reactions: uHu
I do know someone but he may be a bit ott for what you need. I can ask but you probably need a retired radio engineer for it.

I have bought a 1944 RCA AR88D short wave radio receiver. It works but does need "looking over and service". Now I'm not fussy I just want it to work a bit better. Obviously it's a paying job and I can take the receiver anywhere in UK. I have the circuit diagrams and handbook. I wonder if anyone on here can do it or knows anyone ?

Thanks
Frank,

Here are a couple of contacts from Practical Wireless magazine:

E-mail: [email protected]

or, website:

www.kent-rigs.co.uk

Please note, I have absolutely, no personal knowledge of these two companies - 'caveat emptor' as they say!

Rgds

Andrew

That's a beautiful piece of kit, Frank. How is the physical state? Front panel and meters OK?
If it hasn't been done already, it will probably need a few capacitors replaced, and a few coils rewound.

Congratulations with the purchase, good luck with the restoration, and thank you for taking it on - it's an important part of radio history.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi uHu,

It's totally original apart from the audio output transformer which has been replaced. None of the oil filled caps are leaking but I will check it all out. Nobody wants to take it on so I'm learning. The front panel is 6mm thick solid steel!! All the crackle pant is in good condition and like I say clean and virtually untouched inside. Some had 1 meter. The dials and gearbox are good.

The smaller caps have some weird 6 dot colour code which nobody understands fully. The caps values are in the parts list but no way add up to the coloured dots whichever way you look at it. The parts list lists some resistors as caps!!

I put a 50 metre long aerial up yesterday and the set works on all wave bands.

I think if I were you Frank I'd leave it as it is in as original condition as possible, especially if it works well. It seems to me like everything is trying to tell you that anyway.

Yes. There is a bit of debate on another forum. " Only change the paper capacitors". Well they are all paper apart from the smoothing ones!

There are 2 potential trouble areas which need attention before I turn it on again. Apart from this I will leave alone I think. I've just bought another AR88 which is in poor condition and does not work so this will be the focus of my attention for the next few weeks.

Back