Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sill full of water

Gary Mead

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
I have just found the n/s front footwell soaking wet!!!!and water seems to be sloshing around in the sill???although i think i removed the bungs years ago??.The car hasnt been wading since the November wales trip but i did manage to rip off the n/s mudflap/arch and step,was wondering if without it i have left a vulnerable spot open?????.come on lads let me know the remedy :thumbup:

cheers Gary

Gary,

Have you checked the sun roof drains / door sill slits? It depends which plugs you have pulled - iirc there are two (or possibly more) at the front - if you've only pulled one set then you could still wet the carpet before it drains properly etc...

I posted some links on the sun roof drains a while back - see half way down this page:
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7898

And check out Bat21's post on here:
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8975

Hope this helps

J

Hi gary

The water section you talk about was fun :thumbup:

Anyway. you have a bung where the cables run into the truck from where the door is. Also make sure the bungs on the bulkhead are all fitted ok.

Ive had a man round tonight who talked of the 80series leaking around the window or the gutter drain offs getting blocked. Ive not come across this personally but maybe other members have.

Keen to here some replys to this question.

karl

Hi Gary

Most people find it is the sunroof drains that are blocked but mine was when I had a new windscreen and it wasn't fitted properly.
The water was coming in at the very bottom corner of the screen and as it went straight behind the dash it was a bugger to find.

The sills have drain slots that get blocked. Look at the pinch weld carefully and you'll see them, shove a zip tie or something slip up the slot but not with your head under it :lol: I left my bungs in and relied on the slots.

i've just recently started having it quite bad on the drivers side and a bit on the passenger side.
i've been through everything, or so i thought. it turns out the sealant around the screen had gone hard and crumbly, so a quick wizz round with some top notch sealant seems to have it sorted. i also used some "captain tolleys creeping crack cure" on the inside of the screen rubber to really try and seal it.
the water seemed to run in some funny places though, as it seemed to drip where the clutch pedal would be in a manual, but there wasn't any wet up there. weird.
as mentioned there are two bungs under the carpet where the loom runs in the sill. i've left these in for now to check the leak is stopped. then i'll take them out as a precautionary measure. every bung i come to i remove, but why did toyota use so many? they're everywhere!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have lifted the carpet and removed the various bits of trim.removed some bungs.no water in there (sloshing)so must have made its way out somehow?.
carpet absolutely sodden through tho and wet in the channel (that wiring looms run up/down)...hosed down in all the areas including sunroof and no sign or water ingress???.bloody annoying.

look at the seal at the bottom of the screen as well, between the rubber and the bodywork above the wipers. mine seemed to be drawing water in by capillary action as it ran down to the bottom corner of the screen and off across the bodywork. some careful sealing there may work. it seems your symptons are just as mine were. infact my carpet was absolutely soaked in the centre of the drivers footwell but there was never any water in the wiring channel. i found that on the passenger side , but that carpet was always dry!! go figure that one???????

What was that thread about the moisture trap in front of the footwells, had some good pics

Car has dried out,i have had all the carpets and trim up and have done the hosepipe test from all angles,car has stayed dry????
so i dont know how or why but ive put ot all back together again now.none the wiser :?

My neighbour had a strange water ingress a couple of months ago on his BMW.
The wiper seal on the outside of one of the rear windows wasn't doing it's job properly, the drain holes in the bottom of the door were blocked with silt.
This caused the bottom of the door to fill with water which eventually seeped down the back of the door card and into the footwell carpet.
Took him ages to find it and the first hint came when the door speaker stopped working due to the water splashing up the back of it.

Back