Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Snorkels

Heaumey

Country Flag
uk
Hi guys
I have been looking at various snorkels. Would love a Safari but have seen some cheaper versions on eBay, is it a case of you get what you pay for? Has anyone had any experience with the cheaper ones.

You get what you pay for. Welcome along to the forum. Looking forward to your introduction posting. Tell us a bit about yourself and your vehicle

You get what you pay for. Welcome along to the forum. Looking forward to your introduction posting. Tell us a bit about yourself and your vehicle

Hi Chris. Thought as much, Safari it is. I live in Guernsey and own a marine engineering business. The cruiser is a 1997 4.2 24V Manuel amazon vx with 40k miles. Mostly used for work. Will add some pics tomorrow.

The ebay ones are actually rather nicely made, much better than would expect for the price. Proper heavy spec pollyprop, nice SS fixings but the top A pillar fixings have a habit of rusting a bit. just double check the fitting holes before you make any!! I fitted one today, the third one I have fitted over the past couple of years.

It's just hard to ignore the price difference. One thing I noticed is that the Safari A pillar bracket is secured with plastic nut inserts where the cheaper ones use rivots. Maybe a stainless bracket with the plastic inserts might work?

'97 with 40k?

Nurse. Sedatives, quickly ..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
40k in Guernsey is quite good going. You really would not want to be towing wide boat trailers round there too much! Lovely place though.

I'm the second owner and have looked after the wagon since 97. The reason the mileage is so unbelievable is Guernsey's only 14 miles long by 8 miles wide so you can't actually go far.

I'm the second owner and have looked after the wagon since 97. The reason the mileage is so unbelievable is Guernsey's only 14 miles long by 8 miles wide so you can't actually go far.

Please can I have it when you have finished with it :pray:

Hate to do this but I came across this and thought of this post, linky here

Nice. that truck looks just mine......when it left the factory....

Yes that truck looks too straight and shiny to need a snorkel ;)

not too taken by their logo though
51bioGna8YL.jpg

Incidentally, I didn't say that other brands were rubbish. I just pointed out that you do get what you pay for. I personally have never heard anyone complain about a Safari. If Toyota offered a UK factory option, it would probably be a Safari - just like they fit Thule roof bars and so on.
Not to say that another manufacturer can't supply a decent unit. Airtech perhaps. Do I think Safari are overpriced for a plastic pipe. What are you nuts? Of course they are. But isn't everything.

Haha Believe me just because it has low mileage the old girl looks nothing like that.

ive been looking at the oem snorkel for my 80, with a 70 series topper, the same snorkel that can be seen on the 70 series on the news with a anti-aircraft gun fixed to the rear bed..

Chapel gate,
I have a OEM snorkel on my hzj75.
I'm not shure if it's this one you'd like on your 80. But if it is, you should take care of this :
when I fitted the turbo, the original head of the snorkel was too restrictive and the engine didn't get enoug air.
trick is to cut out half of the vanes at the air intake of the snorkelhead. 5 min job and you're good to go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 287
Last edited:
the proper 80s topper looks shite imo hence the 70 topper. thanks for the tip firewout.

this is what im thinking off;

cruiser with snorkel.jpg

I've ordered a offtrek system today for £95 delivered. Will wait and see what we get. Can always improve on the fittings supplied as standard. The unit itself looks pretty good for the price.

Back