Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

So just how fast will it go then??

Cptsideways

Garage
I've always wondered, just how fast an old 80 might be, mine goes quite well, has a few tweaks to the pump but otherwise its a standard auto 12v JDM car, on 275/75/16's I'd assumed it might have the 118mph speed limiter that most Jap cars have,,,,,it doesn't!!

So on a not especially long bit of deserted private road ;) I tried it

120mph on the GPS I was somewhat impressed :icon-twisted:

That has supprised me.I may look for a pivate road to test mine :icon-biggrin:

I am guessing it will need to be a very long one, a slight down hill slope will be of asssistance aswell me thinks

Don't think my 80 will get to 120 with jerry cans and roof tent on the roof and shelves and fridge inside. :)

Mine struggles to get to get past 105, this is with all my overlanding kit and roof tent. Tried to hit the top speed in Germany a couple if years ago.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I can't afford to keep the diesel flowing at that sort of speed....:icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've always wondered, just how fast an old 80 might be, mine goes quite well, has a few tweaks to the pump but otherwise its a standard auto 12v JDM car, on 275/75/16's I'd assumed it might have the 118mph speed limiter that most Jap cars have,,,,,it doesn't!!

So on a not especially long bit of deserted private road ;) I tried it

120mph on the GPS I was somewhat impressed :icon-twisted:

Impressive,

Manual or auto?

Gra.

I'm lucky to get 130kph out of mine on the level with a wind behind me. I guess that's about 81mph, which is not impressive at all :icon-cry:

I've got the big cargo rack on which has a fair drag I suppose and there's no turbo (old farm tractor power only) and it's a manual (which I thought used less pawer that an auto) so no excuses there. My biggest drag is 305 tyres... :doh:

Maybe it needs tuning :wtf:

I didn't want to go down the "twiddling" route, I'm not very successful with twiddling...

Isn't 120mph the terminal velocity out the back of a hercules :0)

And the other question is was a Prado towing it?

Isn't 120mph the terminal velocity out the back of a hercules :0)

And the other question is was a Prado towing it?
Andrew, your just being nice.

I was going to say its a fu g, lie !! but decided against it.

120 mph out of a LC80, weighing best part of 3 ton, with just 160 bhp.

NAWWWWWWWWW

Gra.

Andrew, your just being nice.

I was going to say its a fu g, lie !! but decided against it.

120 mph out of a LC80, weighing best part of 3 ton, with just 160 bhp.

NAWWWWWWWWW

Gra.
I did get 120mph (indicated) out of my first 80 at three in the morning round the M25, I had to do the circuit twice to build up speed :lol: but it was only five yrs old, my two current 80's are over 16yrs old and I think to attempt that now would be pushing the boundarys a bit. :think:

When I first got mine (4 1/2 years ago) it was standard and on road tyres. I did get 123mph (satnav) on a private road!! ;) But it is no near that now with the regeared diffs. But I did get 95mph with the sankey trailer on, again on a private road!!

Graham, I think you forget 90 is a walk in the park for a standard 80. also a standard a lot less that 3 tons do I don't think it's impossible. Book says it will do close to 120.

I tested mine in France and thought the engine had failed as there was an enourmous cloud of blue smoke behind F1 style. I pulled over and it was grease burning off the middle exhaust box. Some goody goody greases the props every 4500 miles. Cannot remember top speed.

My 100 4.2 quotes 200 bhp and 103 top speed.

Frank

Graham, I think you forget 90 is a walk in the park for a standard 80. also a standard a lot less that 3 tons do I don't think it's impossible. Book says it will do close to 120.

The 120 series is not a 90, I expect a 90 series with the D4-d engine not to be as quick, or as fast as the 120 series.

I have the original Toyota Specs, for the diesel 4,2L 100 series, and it does say 203 bhp.
And it does say 111 mph
Also kerb weight is 2610kg.

I believe the late 80 series to be around 178 bhp, the early ones around 164 bhp.
guessing the kerb weight no less than 2500kg, as I don't have an official Toyota spec yet.
I just can't for the life of me understand how an 80 series can do 120 mph.

I feel an early 80 series will max out at around 106 mph
I believe the later 80 series will max out at no more than 112

Perhaps some one has the Toyota engine power specs fro the 12 valve, and the 24 valve.

I would upload the single sheet pdf, but the forum limit is just 19kb and the pdf is 119kb

Gra.

Graham, open the PDF and do a screen print and up load the photo of the screen print ;)

Middle
Bottom

With a 1 line overlap so nothing missed.

Gra.

Attachments

• TLC part 1.jpg
    TLC part 1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 314
  • TLC part 2.jpg
    TLC part 2.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 327
  • TLC part 3.jpg
    TLC part 3.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 333
Graham, I'd dispute te claim that a 90 with the D4D is slower than a 120!, tested mine on track for both top end and accel, GPS gave 118.4 mph, the speedo read just over 120, which happened about a minute after this was taken

ed01d160e4d35d7b207305353bd6fd42.jpg

As for accel. MrT is conservative with his figures, have timed it at 10 seconds dead on 3 occasions. The engine is putting out 163bhp as far as I am aware

That's very good is that Bob,
I haven't really done a "top speed " with my 120, but did do over 100 mph a few times, perhaps an older 90 is quicker and faster than a newer more aerodynamic 120,

Gra.

Don't forget heavier... :icon-biggrin:

Back