Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Some advice please - road bias tyres.

Bob

Supporter
Country Flag
ireland
Hey guys,

Need to get 4 tyres for the 90. As I'm doing a lot of road work (see sig), I have no need for ATs. I also dont want to get caught out in a muddy field as I frequent those too!! The problem is that prices have gone crazy here in the last while. Bridgestones and Dunlops that were €150 last year are almost €200 now! :shock:

So I have to work within my budget - max €150 per tyre (£120ish) - these are my options from ringing around. If anyone has experience of them please let me know your thoughts. (sorry don't have all the model no's)

General Grabber UHP
Avon Ranger
Hankook Dynapro HP
Matador MP71

Any help would be appreciated :thumbup:

I know you said that you don't need an AT but have you seen the new general grabber AT, it is a very good "inbetween" road biased tyre and not as aggressive as the old AT2 tyre and gets very good reviews. so should help out on a muddy field situation. and shoulld be in budget too :thumbup:

Joe.

Yeah I've looked at the GG AT alright, not available in most places here but Camskill deliver to the Republic for €640 inc VAT. Pushing the budget really as I have to get them fitted and balanced.

Would they deliver good mileage? (I have Dunlop AT21s on the back with 70k miles on them)
Might consider the AT as I wont settle for crappy rubber.

We run Toyo Open Country HT's on both our cars (80 series and a Rav4) and they work well for us all year round and aren't a bad price. Somewhere between a road tyre and an AT so not for real mud plugging but they're not scared of a muddy field, or snow and ice. Don't know what size you need but Camskill list quite a few.

Cheers Jon, my local fitter is actually getting those in this week so might well be an option. They'll be standard 265/70/16 for the 95, keeping the fuel consumption at a justifiable level!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So went to an independent fitter for a bit more advice and ended up with a set of Michelin latitude cross terrains. Having seen them on the guy's own Navara after 20k miles I was impressed.

bad96060.jpg

Initial impressions after 60 miles -

Very low road noise at 120 kph, absorb the rumbles in the road well, and seem to hold very well in the corners. Hopefully they prove a decent buy. Paid €175 a corner, had to up the budget, but unless I wanted ditch finders, kinda had to!

Back