Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Some pics of my new (to me ) 80

Dr Bob

$T2eC16dHJGIE9nnWrckQBRRhGnzCQw~~60_12 LC 4.jpg$T2eC16RHJIkE9qU3kWfbBRRgqZQR+w~~60_12 LC 3.jpg$T2eC16VHJHQE9nzEyl86BRRhGbQjh!~~60_12 LC 2.jpg3 Cruiser bills 001.JPG3 Cruiser bills 002.JPG3 Cruiser bills 003.JPG .3 Cruiser bills 001.JPG$T2eC16ZHJHoE9n3KfvN+BRRhGtgg3g~~60_12 LC 5.jpg$T2eC16dHJGIE9nnWrckQBRRhGnzCQw~~60_12 LC 4.jpg$T2eC16RHJIkE9qU3kWfbBRRgqZQR+w~~60_12 LC 3.jpg$T2eC16RHJG!E9nm3q(3)BRRgq,D11Q~~60_12 LC 4.jpg$T2eC16VHJHQE9nzEyl86BRRhGbQjh!~~60_12 LC 2.jpg

Dr Bob, your car looks beautiful, it's obviously been cared for and the billings indicate a degree of maintenance has taken place. Common sense tells us that what is visible is in good order, however it also leaves what isn't visible to be discovered. Most car maintenance at best comprises regular oil and filter changes (usually engine only) and regular brake servicing, often it doesn't go much further until something happens to compel the owner to do more, such as wheel bearings and CVs and the like. Only fix it when it breaks. This is normal.

You've discovered a certain amount of this and that is good news so far. I hope it ends there. Anyway, your job is to continue that process and look for trouble, so that it can be dealt with before it escalates.

These cars a beauties, the components are very strong, but like any moving parts, they wear and that wear puts additional burden on other less-warn components. You have to try to stop that happening to keep the billings minimal. Parts are very expensive. You have bought a great "starter pack" and I wish mine had been in anything like that condition when I bought it, I probably paid more than you for a very knocked about and neglected machine. I've managed to get it sorted, but I would be very depressed if I lined up the billings!

Good luck in your investigations, keep it clean, but most of all enjoy it for whatever you want to do with it. One of the reasons I wasn't too concerned with the look of mine was because I wanted something to offroad with, and shiny paint would have been a waste to some extent. Even now I'm considering a face-lift, re spray and tidy up, but I don't want to make it so that I'm frightened to use it. That would be a waste of money and effort in my case.

You seem to have got yourself a good 'un, fair play to you, enjoy. This forum is a gold mine of info that will, if used wisely, guide you through many years of enjoyment!

Thanks Clive.

Those are just a sample of what has been spent over the last 3 years And he has only done around 4,000 miles in that time . I tow a very large heavy twin Axel caravan and use it all year round my 2001 2.5 Shogun Sport was only just up to it. I blew the head gasket on the way back from Cornwall last summer and was lent a Land Rover TD5 to get home I thought 5 cylinders would play with it . Not a bit of it what a pile of junk!!! thirsty and way too overgeared to do any heavy pulling. So it just had to be an 80.

I make my own Bio diesel so motors that run on it 100% are getting thin on the ground . What I save on fule I can spend on the TLC.

Cheers, Bob

Thanks Clive.

I tow a very large heavy twin Axel caravan and use it all year round my 2001 2.5 Shogun Sport was only just up to it. I blew the head gasket on the way back from Cornwall last summer and was lent a Land Rover TD5 to get home I thought 5 cylinders would play with it . Not a bit of it what a pile of junk!!! thirsty and way too overgeared to do any heavy pulling. So it just had to be an 80.Cheers, Bob

Mine's a manual and I dont tow, so I have no personal experience of auto boxes, but it may be worth investing in additional ATF cooling if you do heavy or prolonged towing. There's plenty of advice on this subject here, as you will probably have noticed.

I have towed with both auto and manual (96 GS) and found the auto better in my view, but thats just me! When I had the opportunity to get a really good tow vehicle I bought this:-

IMAG0138.jpg

The mighty "Starship Enterprise", best ever tow vehicle, for the price of an 80, 6.5 turbo diesel bullet proof auto transmission, RHD and no weak spots. ( yes Clive its an Ifor). That photo was at the end of a non stop 800 mile round trip to collect the 60.
Sorry for drifting off thread.

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep, its unusual even for a 60, for some unknown reason not many were sold that colour, I think I have only seen one other and it was ages ago.

Andy

I have towed with both auto and manual (96 GS) and found the auto better in my view, but thats just me! When I had the opportunity to get a really good tow vehicle I bought this:-

IMAG0138.jpg

The mighty "Starship Enterprise", best ever tow vehicle, for the price of an 80, 6.5 turbo diesel bullet proof auto transmission, RHD and no weak spots. ( yes Clive its an Ifor). That photo was at the end of a non stop 800 mile round trip to collect the 60.
Sorry for drifting off thread.

Andy

I don't think Dr Bob will mind Andy, he's too busy fondling his new 80! Lucky him!

Well the "starship" may be the best puller, but sorry, it's so pig ugly! Don't mean to be rude but my goodness! Only my opinion of course. Your 80 is a bride in comparison!

I recognised the Ifor, used to live about 2 miles from their production "farm" in W.Wales. Fantastic trailers. Strong and the thickest galv I've ever seen!

Yes, but this is supposed to be a thread about Bob's new 80 and a discussion about towing.

Chris

Looks a really nice motor you've bought, looks like previous owner wasn't scared to spend on it either.

Very nice looking truck you got there Dr Bob. You must be pleased with it, it does look tidy.:icon-cool:

Cheers, Mark

I'm a little curious as to what your longer term plans are for your new 80 Dr Bob. With the caravan to tow and given the beautiful condition of this car, it would be nice to think that you would keep it standard, or at least to retain the classic original appearance outside.

it always seems a shame to see a "shiny" converted to a mud-plugger, and I don't think you have intentions on those lines, do you?

Hi Dr. Bob,

What is the all up weight of your loaded twin axle caravan?

Hobby by any chance?

Gra.

Back