Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sorn or Insurance - Your Choice

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Just heard this on the radio and did some checking on line and it seems to be true.

If you have a vehicle that is off the road but is taxed then it has to be insured or declared sorn, better get my bike back on the road then :D

Paul said:
Just heard this on the radio and did some checking on line and it seems to be true.

If you have a vehicle that is off the road but is taxed then it has to be insured or declared sorn, better get my bike back on the road then :D

Hi Paul

I can understand if it needs fire or theft insurance, but why would (or have to have) fully comp if it is say locked up in a garage etc ?

Again if it is on a road then I can understand, as you have said I have heard about the insurance but why ??

Steve

How will this work? If someone wants to drive an uninsured vehicle they will just declare it SORN. The risk of getting caught is exactly the same as before as it will get picked up by number plate readers same way as no MOT or Insurance and it is still cheaper to loose a £50 fiesta and pay the fines than buying insurance for young drivers so its a no brainier for some people. It will only make life more difficult for law abiding people who say have to wait until the next pay check to pay the next years premium and leave their uninsured taxed and MOTed vehicle parked up on a driveway/garage for a couple of weeks.

What's the issue? its not as if it costs you anything to sorn it and if its not insured, you can't drive it anyway.

If you want to have it off the road and uninsured, then you are free to do so.

Related question. Is it expensive to re-register a car once you have declared SORN for a year or two. Are there extra costs besides a new disc?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
SimonD said:
Are there extra costs besides a new disc?
Nope, just rock up with your MOT, insurance, V5 and/or road tax form & pay for 6 or 12 monthsworth...

Once you SORN a car, you get a note back saying 'well done & thanks' then you get a reminder every year thereafter which you have to send back to maintain SORN or re-tax the vehicle.

I fail to see how any of this is going to prevent the nasty folk getting away with whatever naughty stuff they're nastily getting away with already... Its just another hoop for the already law abiding good guys to worry about/jump though... IMHO.

If you were to do this you will have to post back your tax and declare it SORN and then re tax it, seems a bit faf if you intend to do it for only 2 weeks. That's at least 2 extra trips to the post office because you cant do it online if the tax is still valid and because law abiding people work and pay taxes they can only visit a post office on a Saturday where they will inevitably wait in a ridiculous cue as the government has decided to close most of the post offices...

People who drive without insurance will carry on doing so until the probability of getting caught increases or the consequences are not economically viable.

It would seem that, as with the tax situation, its too much hard work (read: they can't be bothered) to actually catch the people committing the criminal act, so they decided it would be easier to change the legislation so that the offense isn't using the vehicle on the public road whilst its uninsured, but owning a taxed vehicle that is not covered by a current insurance policy. That way you don't have to venture out into the big scary world to catch offenders, instead you can fine people from a nice warm office in Swansea, and make a load more money in the process.

Yes, as has been mentioned, it will generally be the law abiding citizens that get caught by this, and the people that are being used as the excuse for the change will carry on regardless. After all why would you pay the fine if you can't be bothered to pay for the insurance or tax?

The insurance companies will be rubbing their hands together over this, as they will have us over a barrel. Just think, your insurance is due for renewal on a car you don't use that often, you can't get a policy that you want at a price you can afford or as has been mentioned you need to wait till the next pay packet to pay for it. So you think I'll leave it in the garage till then and sort it once I have the money, how many people have done that? Well now you will also have to send the tax back and declare it as Sorn'd to conform to the new rules, otherwise you will be fined even thought the cars not left the garage!!

So you leave the car in the garage and send the tax back in, as Rob has said you need to join the queue at the post office to send the tax disc back to get your money refunded. As far as I'm aware they only refund the remaining full months left to run on the tax disc, once they have received it. So you will inevitably lose the current month of your tax, so that will also leave you out of pocket, deep joy! So unless they modernise the tax system so the your refunded amount would be back dated to the sorn declaration date, which you can do online, you'll lose money on the tax refund.

This legislation has been on the horizon for a while, and is a hangover from the car loving new labour government.

So watch out for even more of the insurance companies deciding to automatically renew your policy for you, at an inflated price no doubt, and be prepared to lose money when you have a vehicle that is between insurance companies.

I just let my truck insurance run out because a) I was too busy to phone around for quotes for the days leading up to the expiry and b) I knew I wasn't going to drive the truck for a few days anyway. In the event I was only uninsured for about 12 hours, but presumably 12 hours will be long enough to get fined.

Of course, the courts have ruled that jut because the DVLA doesn't _receive_ a SORN doesn't mean they can prove you didn't send it nor fine you ...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/03/dvla_court/

I don't know if that's the case, as they wouldn't backup and explain that decisions, but in my opinion there's no thought behind the motion other then to make a profit.

So I may be selling the volvo soon if I get a new car to replace it and obviously will transfer the insurance to the new car. Having tax on a car really adds value to it especially if the car is under £1000 so obviously I would like to sell the car with tax. With this new law in place it will be illegal for me to transfer the insurance to my new car and leave both cars taxed. One option would be to declare my new car SORN and use the old one until I sell it, but everyone knows that when you spend your hard earned cash on a new car you want to use it ASAP. The other would be to declare my old car SORN but this will potentially half its market value and make it difficult for the new owner to drive away in it. Then new owner would need to buy the car, take the V5 slip to a post office with their insurance certificate to buy a tax disc and then drive off with it. Does anyone know how long I can leave a car uninsured and taxed until I am fined? I understand they send you a letter and you have to insure it or declare it SORN immediately or pay up.

Why have they made our lives more difficult :evil: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Some insurance companies will cover both your old car, and the new car for a short, over lap period, whilst you change vehicles. It might be worth an ask.

Rob said:
Why have they made our lives more difficult :evil: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Because they're lazy and like to earn money out of the cash cow motorist, whilst operating under the guise of combating unisured drivers. :roll:

Look, you made me get my soap box out now!

Back