Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Spare wheel cradle diagram..?

Bernese

Country Flag
england
Anyone have a diagram or pics of how the spare wheel is held in place under a 1994 80 please. Needless to say mine looks like it came off Fred Flintstones truck, I not only want to remove it but also make the replacement secure...

There's not that much to them really, cross member which sits between the chassis rails attached with a angled section on each end. The winch as toyota describes it is the rusty mechanism that you can see with the chain running through it. This holds the wheel in place and lowers it. Theres also a bar that bolts to the back of the rear cross member that the wheel sits up against.

Dismantle the lot. Get the cross member blasted and painted. Throw the winch mechanism in a bucket of diesel for a week then pack with grease. Put back together.

have a brew.

I used a new winch mechanism, there not over expensive.

Well obviously someone had issues with it in the past as half at least of what you described is missing or in the rusty bin... I'll get what's there off and sort it from there.. thanks for the info

Getting the cross member out without snapping the bolts is hard. Getting the winch off isn't so bad. I am sure that Karl must have some of those lying around. They're not worth messing with. If they're cheap new then that's an option of course. If you do take the cross member off and snap the bolts along the chassis, it's probably easier to simply weld the replacement in. You could spend a day trying to drill out the stubs.

I also bought a winch to replace mine, it's no longer needed so you're more than welcome to have it for hardly owt.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I need to do this job on the 60 to get the spare relocated from to boot space.
My mech is not salvageable at all was considering a stainless support brace. Would this be an issue bolted to the chassis being 2 different kinds of steel? Want to keep it removable to allow access

Thanks guys, as Andy said its a great forum...

I'll take you up on the offer Josh and will pm you to sort contact number etc... Thank you :thumbup:
Sorry to go off subject but as you are sending a pm to Josh can you tell me how to pm someone I cannot seem to find how to do it,its it to "start a conversation"? thanks

Tap your forum name which will bring forward a list in which you will see the word conversation.... Tap it, compose, and send....

Back