Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

SPOT Messenger

24Seven

Does anyone have or used a SPOT Messenger? As I'm taking one of our boys on a trip next year and maybe as a lone vehicle the wife wants me to get one, she was not bothered when it was just me, in fact I was worried she would change the locks when I was away last time :p

http://www.findmespot.eu/en/

Yup

got one from my parents last year for sea kayaking and use it for ski mountaineering too.
My wife was injured last 3 years so couldn't ski, but she tracked us from home with the SPOT when we went on adventures in the Scottish mountains, it all went well until we stopped at the pub after one ski trip.....we were rumbled as I forgot to turn the SPOT off :roll:

you have to pay an annual subscription too, as well as buying the device

the web-browser system easy to use, with googlemaps style view and easy to export to googleearth,
or Anquet maps which i use.

Marting (whereisgibson) may have a view on this as he has done something very similar.....

Excellent piece of gear.

A friend has just completed a tour of Tunisia, I followed his progress on the Spot - it was updated every 15 minutes I think - when I zoomed in on google earth I expected to see him there!

Its on my list as well.

Pete

I've used a spot before. They are easy to use and do the mapping work for you, and cover most places:
coveragemap_nolegend.jpg

My biggest gripe with it is that you can't power it externally. So you can't wire it into a battery and bury it in a car for example - well, not without dismantling the thing.

But there are other ways to do live tracking...

Please do tell me how as when i return to SA next year its something i have thought about doing...being able to track the car myself that is.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Guys

I have had a good read of the T&C's Re: the Search and Rescue "add on" for 11 Euro and noted the following which maybe of interest, just in case someone bought one and only found out after that you could get this service.

Coverage extends to North America, Canada, the European Union and Australia, and will only be provided to other geographic locations subject to acceptance by the GEOS underwriters in writing, which will be provided after the application has been made. If an additional geographic location is refused by the GEOS underwriters, than all premiums paid will be refunded. The following geographic locations are expressly excluded: North, Central or West Africa, the Middle East, including Iraq Iran and Afghanistan, and Russia.

Back