Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stairway to heaven (not quite!)

Jaysus!

How did you end up in plaster for18 months??

Long story yogi 12 years and they still operating but Clive's thread has gone astray which is a shame coz his ladder really is a nice piece of work .
attachment.php

True Shane!! Sorry Clive! :oops:

@Clive, that's a lovely piece of work, I particularly like the chequer plate on the steps. :thumbup::thumbup:

@Clive, that's a lovely piece of work, I particularly like the chequer plate on the steps. :thumbup::thumbup:

Yes it is, I'm gonna nick that idea for mine, thanks Clive. :thumbup:

Well, it was me that did the hijacking, and it's my thread, so there!

Ouch, sciatica, that's something else. I don't have that problem, thank goodness.

Well getting back to the ladder, I asked for it to have good clearance away from the door, so I don't make toe marks in the door paint. The guy looked at me strange, and I said like this one, and pointed to the ladder on the back of his Chevvy V8 hippy van and sure enough there were toe marks in the paint!

Thats why why it stands away from the door so much.

The treads are rectangular section, so the chequer plate idea was easier than if they had been circular section tube.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm trying to picture you explaining to a guy that doesn't speak your language that you want a ladder that is nothing like his using a combination of mime and sign language :think:

Chas thats gotta be worthy of a westend musical ! :laughing-rolling:

You might sample some "lost in translation" when you come over Shayne, I really do hope this 2015 visit comes off, I'm so looking forward to meeting you guys! :dance:

Over the last few days I’ve been modifying my rear access ladder, I decided I didn’t like it black. Took a few days because it’s too bl**dy cold in my garage to work for too long.

1.JPG

so I gave it a couple of coats of silver HammerRite. I forgot to take a picture before I started, so partly through first coat.

2.jpg

After second coat.

3.jpg

I was going to put some grip tape on the rungs but after seeing Clives ladder I bought some 25mm angled chequer plate. (Thanks Clive)
Installed with Riv Nuts and 6mm stainless countersunk bolts. The black streaks are Dinitrol I squirted in the holes.

4.jpg

First two rungs done, two more to go.

5.jpg

And the final result.

6.jpg :dance: :dance:

Last edited:
I'm only viewing this on my phone Chas, but it looks good mate!
You won't regret fitting the tread grips, I'm accessing my rack mainly for ski equipment at the moment and even with the ice (it's going to be -10 or less tomorrow) I feel safe climbing mine.
For me the colour choice was to match the rack, bumpers an other bolt ons, but has to be a matter of preference in respect of the overall look of the truck.
Good job though Chas!

I'm only viewing this on my phone Chas, but it looks good mate!
You won't regret fitting the tread grips, I'm accessing my rack mainly for ski equipment at the moment and even with the ice (it's going to be -10 or less tomorrow) I feel safe climbing mine.
For me the colour choice was to match the rack, bumpers an other bolt ons, but has to be a matter of preference in respect of the overall look of the truck.
Good job though Chas!

Well it does actually match the tread plate I put on the top of the rear bumper, you can see it on the last picture.

Well it does actually match the tread plate I put on the top of the rear bumper, you can see it on the last picture.

It also matches the colour of the galv rack Chas!

Blimey, were getting girly with our matching accessories! :lol: :icon-rolleyes:

The rack is an Outback ally one Clive, but it does match. I like colour coding.
cool-045.GIF

I think today I will smooth off the back edge of the tread plate, it's a bit sharp and we don't want to hurt our little pinkies as we climb the ladder do we? :whistle:

Last edited:
The rack is an Outback ally one Clive, but it does match. I like colour coding.
cool-045.GIF

I think today I will smooth off the back edge of the tread plate, it's a bit sharp and we don't want to hurt our little pinkies as we climb the ladder do we? :whistle:

Certainly not, even worse would be ladderin' yer tights! :lol:

Pologies to the alloy for the galv comment, very insensitive of me! :icon-biggrin:

Putting a few more coats of Hammerrite on as I noticed a couple of places where it was showing a bit thin and a few chips already in the paint. :icon-rolleyes:

Putting a few more coats of Hammerrite on as I noticed a couple of places where it was showing a bit thin and a few chips already in the paint. :icon-rolleyes:

Do you use it much Chas? Mine's had a bashing lately using it to access the ski-bag on the roof. No chips yet, it's holding up OK so far.

You've done a better job with the rivnuts, my treads are pop riveted! :lol:

Not been used at all yet, I think I probably chipped it putting it on. I did think of using pops but I reckon Riv Nuts are better.

Last edited:
Back