Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering free play

jbecks

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all,

I replaced my whole steering column, I replaced the upper steering column as it was rattling when going over bumps and the free play felt excessive. So after replacing the upper column I still have a bit of play which is within spec according to the workshop manual. In the last 4 months I have also replaced, inner/outer tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, lower steering column shaft and the rag joint on the steering rack is fine, play in the rack is fine too). when I go over a bump I still get the knock noise in the upper column although, abiet the steering feels alot tighter now too.

I did not change the bearings as they were fine as was the thrust washer.

How much play does your steering wheel have? and do you get a slight rattle/knock noise in the upper steering column when you go over a bump?

Last edited:
I would say my steering wheel has about 5-10mm play...How much is within spec?

And nope, I get no rattle or knock over Bumps!

Hi

Ive had a steering rattle plaguing me since Portugal last year, finally tracked it down this week......worn exhaust mount rubbers.

Given the cost of your parts so far, £31 for a toyota set may be worth trying.

In ny case, no exterior noise, no knocking, just a bad vibe through steering wheel at certain revs.

Pete

its 100% the steering column, I might order a new thrust washer, bearing and spring and see if that solves slight rattle noise! considering its a new column :D

the workshop manual says maximum freeplay for the steering is 30mm

Last edited:
It's not over bumps as such, but driving over a dirt track with make the rattle feeling

I think you can sometimes convince yourself there's a problem just because something you normally take for granted enters your conscious thoughts . Ask some mates to drive it and report back . I did and was forced to accept there was nothing wrong with the steering . It ever crosses my mind now and seems fine :|

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think you can sometimes convince yourself there's a problem just because something you normally take for granted enters your conscious thoughts . Ask some mates to drive it and report back . I did and was forced to accept there was nothing wrong with the steering . It ever crosses my mind now and seems fine :|

It does seem strange, especially as everything in my steering has now been replaced, and I don't think the spring, thrust washer and two bearings would make a rattle noise, and when I stripped the column down they looked and felt normal. I should have replaced them considering how cheap they are but hey ho. I might order them and replace them anyway :D And the rattle only happens when I'm off road, so I'm not sure now if it's just the wheels moving back fourth as they go over the bumps and it's causing the free play in the column to make the noise. As the noise is not there when I drive on roads.

After doing some googling, seems that if the two bearings in the upper column are worn it can cause the rattle which is what I suspected, but it's strange as the old shaft had no wear marks where the bearings were located and both seemed serviceable, I might just change them as they are cheap enough and it's a pretty quick job taking the column apart.

Back