Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sub Diesel Tank

Ducktape

Hi guys,

My '02 D4D Colorado (95 series) only have the main 90liter diesel tank as standard. Have anyone got any photo's of where to install a reserve- or sub tank for overlanding instead of numerous Jerries on the roof? I believe you can get off-the-shelf 60l units from Frontrunner, etc. which is installed somewhere above the rear axle..?

Thanks in advance!

S

See if you can get one from a SWB 90 where the fuel tank is at the back - suspect that has what would be the OEM 'sub tank'. Might work for you?

Cheers

Part no. for the OEM sub-tank is 77001-60390 (Toyodiy indicates a price of $545) and you'd need the hoses and connecting pipes etc. (another $112-ish) Depending on what Frontrunner, Longranger et al want for their options, this might be a cheaper and more elegant solution if your friendly local dealer can supply the parts anywhere near this price :thumbup:

Or cheaper from a breaker possibly. Or nick the one off L'il Blue while Tony's not looking :lol:

Andrew - is that the same part no. For the 120? Can't get into that site from work grrrr

the main tank on my 95 LWB series is at the back, i.e. under the boot area i.e. aft of the rear axle?
so where is the SWB tank located?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Same place. Do you not have a tank on pax side longitudinally?

"Do you not have a tank on pax side longitudinally?"

no.

just looked on frontrunner site and 90series lwb subtank they sell is located on

FRONT RUNNER PRODUCT

70L capacity
Pump system – can be used while driving
Fitted left under passenger side

Oh - weird.

In that case, maybe look for the main tank off a 120, which is fitted on the left, longitudinally, and holds 87 litres.

But - was that for the D-4D variant Andy? They didn't get that in South Africa, so I wonder if the fuel tank configuration is the same?

im not sure where the main tank would be on Ducktapes D4D 95 series
the front runner site said:

http://www.frontrunner.co.za/fr_products/fueltanks.php

FT PRADO 70L AUXILIARY TANK (PUMP) Pre 2003 LWB ONLY

so i assumed the LWB 1KZTE and and D4D 95/colorado's would be the same

you can see tank protection plate on back of my the 1KZTE colorado here
image0041.jpg

ps anyone got any pics of 120 tank? interesting if it would fit a collie, assuming between left sill and propshaft

Interesting!! Would be useful if they were - I could get a tank off a trashed 90 then to go at the back of mine to solve my problem! The SA and Oz variants of the 120 have both tanks and a fairly sophisticated management system I could bodge!

I believe all the 90s (SWB and LWB) have their main fuel tank in the same place - transversely mounted just behind the rear axle.

The OEM sub tank (that seems to be fitted to many of the Oz versions) IIRC is longitudinally mounted on the LHS between the axles.

dont you have a spare wheel there Gary? I cant remember if you have a wheel carrier or not?

Yep - but I've moved it to the back door using an LC3 door. So all I'd have to do is cut out the wheel carrier mount!

So it looks like, the guys with 95 series, need find a 120 series tank, and the 120 series owners need a 90 series tank,

Yeah ?

Gra

just looked in Max Ellery manual - and it shows pictures of both tanks!
and in the longitudinal tank pic, it clevery labels the exhaust silencer as "sun tank" !! :)

Gary Stockton said:
Or cheaper from a breaker possibly. Or nick the one off L'il Blue while Tony's not looking :lol:

Oi hands off!

Gary Stockton said:
Andrew - is that the same part no. For the 120? Can't get into that site from work grrrr
Nope :thumbdown: 120 part no. for the sub-tank is 77001-60640 and price is quoted as $749 so more expensive too. Probably best to liberate one from a 90 series then. Karl must have collected a few I would think?
Or apparently Tony can supply one with a complimentary load of diesel :whistle:

Hi Andrew, and others,

What is the capacity of the rear standard fuel tank on a 90 / 95 ?

Could I guess it is probably the same capacity for teh 3 door shortie, and the 5 door ?

Perhaps 85 liters or so?

So with the 120 series already carrying 87 liters, and another 85 liters in a 90 series tank, that give a fair range I would say.

172 liters could take a 120 series about 1100 miles roughly thinking, about 38 gallons at 28 mpg.

Gra.

Back