Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Suspension lift opinions sought

I have standard 80 series rear shocks in the back of mine and no modding or drilling required and standard 80 series front springs in there as well the only mod I need to do is swap the sway bar drop links for longer ones but otherwise that setup works well for me

Simon

Hi Sharpy!

Where did You get the longer drop linkages from?
I am in the same boat, trying to work out my 90-Suspention setup :)

Cut and weld them Peter , i dropped my arb bush brackets 2" with spacers but i've never been happy with it . The rear droplinks at standard length have never given me any indication that they would benefit from being extended though i likely will modify them when i do the front .

Thanks Sharpy i have delayed ordering to see if you replied , i now need to get Pedders to measure a standard 90 rear shock against a standard 80 rear shock and fingers crossed its 40mm different to match my springs :handgestures-finge:

Cut and Weld... Thought so, but wanted to ask.... before I jumped to conclusions.

I have, on another lifted 4x4 of mine, spaced down the ARB`s for the exact same reason and that has worked very well on that particular car.

The way the ARB on the 90 (at least mine) sits, spacing it out would on many ways not be benefitiary. At least not an the back IIRC

Apologies for not being about but family and work got the better of me. I will be using nissan terrano droplinks on the front suspension and moving the front droplinks to the rear. I may remove the rear sway bar altogether and see how it handles before a final decision and see if it passes the MOT with it out

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Or you could make your own adjustable ones! I'll post more pics when I get some time

IMG_0804.JPG

They look great and probably stronger than the terrano ones. Can you disconnect them pdq for when offroadin

Cheers simon

Nope, mine are bolt and nut, along with locking nut, but it could be modified easily by using some kind of locking pin instead on the fastener end.

i now need to get Pedders to measure a standard 90 rear shock against a standard 80 rear shock and fingers crossed its 40mm different to match my springs :handgestures-finge:

Just been looking at shocks on the RT site, the KZj95 Monroe +2" rear shocks are the same part as the standard 80 rear (Part NoD8433) .

Standard Height
KZJ Monroe is 509mm open and 322 closed

+2"
KZJ Monroe is 580 open and 350 closed.
KZJ pedders shock is 550mm open and 340 closed
Pedders 80 Rear is 600mm open and 365 closed

Other potential useful info I've found tonight are coil spring lengths, all taken from ebay ads so may not be 100%
upload_2017-9-7_0-16-10.png

Hi there, lovely truck.

I'm looking to do the same thing with my LWB90 .

are the 80 series front shocks compatible with the 90 fronts?

Cut and weld seems daft to me, when they need replacing then you've got to go through the same rigmarole all over again. Better to spend the time fabricating a spacer out of box section etc and then you are only ever replacing stock drop links, easy to source and easy to fit. I did that on a few 80's with good results.

Reminds me to remove the links and arb before putting it in for an mot , i'm convinced its more of a hindrance than a help when uprated suspension is fitted .

hi all the 80 series fronts will be to big to directly replace 90 series fronts I just replaced with standard 90 series fronts and added a spacer which levelled it up nicely with the 80 series lifted rear end.

be interested to see if yours passes mot with the arb removed Shayne. I bottled out removing it in case it got refused and I had to get it all welded back on

Good luck

Simon

It's not welded 4 bolts , two drop links and its off .

Well that's what i meant two bolts each side in the brackets and then only the drop links hold it on . I got chatting to my mot tester about it when i took the mrs truck in , i had just stripped everything out of the front end recon calipers new brake disks upper and lower ball joints wired brushed and painted everything . He was impressed and so he wasn't inclined to make a fuss about the fact i'd forgotten to tighten the drop links .

I said ah bollocks the arb is a nuisance anyway on a modified 4x4 and i'd be better off without it , he was keenly interested in the explanation that followed because he had no idea what the arb did and he would love a truck like this one day :D

Well that's what i meant two bolts each side in the brackets and then only the drop links hold it on . I got chatting to my mot tester about it when i took the mrs truck in , i had just stripped everything out of the front end recon calipers new brake disks upper and lower ball joints wired brushed and painted everything . He was impressed and so he wasn't inclined to make a fuss about the fact i'd forgotten to tighten the drop links .

I said ah bollocks the arb is a nuisance anyway on a modified 4x4 and i'd be better off without it , he was keenly interested in the explanation that followed because he had no idea what the arb did and he would love a truck like this one day :D

Sorry buddy, I miss read your post as the two bolts holding the drop links on... The arb is allowed to be taken off if the mounting points are not there... As in they can only test the vehicle as presented

Sorry buddy, I miss read your post as the two bolts holding the drop links on... The arb is allowed to be taken off if the mounting points are not there... As in they can only test the vehicle as presented
the research I found was that if it left the factory with an arb then it's a fail if it's not there at test time regardless of any updated suspension upgrades. having said all that there is anecdotal evidence of cars passing without the arb as the tester was familiar with car and owner

Simon

Aye if your European you have to pay the Fuhrer for permission to even wash your car , on the other hand most UK mechanics are intelligent and reasonable people , if you meet one that isn't tell him to f........ and go somewhere else .

Back