Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Suspension suggestions.

OME quality is now getting quite a bad rep due to standards dropping badly, also over priced for what you get.

I am going with Tough Dog after they have won most of the more recent awards in Oz, also finding them on many farm vehicles that spend their life on corrugated roads with huge loads and they also offer a good range to cater for exactly what you need.

I guess if you choose the wrong spec it doesnt matter what brand it is, it wont be right.

Cheers Paul.

A quick look at the Tough Dog site indicates that they do not have a UK dealer. It's possible that the web page is out of date, so does anyone have details of a UK dealer?

Roger

Gary has some on his, dont know where he got it from in Uk, maybe ordered in.

Gary's Tough Dog suspension does not seem to like the salt, its only been on a couple of years of so and the paint is already coming off.

A major problem with springs is that the continual flexing of the coils, and the interaction between the end coils and the mountings destroys the coating. Plain paint is likely to go first because its brittle and hard. That leaves powder coating or some form of nylon dip. Nylon doesn't seem to like the cold and cracks. This lets the water in, the springs rust and the cracks in the nylon get worse. This leaves powder coating but whether its any better I don't know.

Roger

Frankly I think paint is the best coating as it tends not to allow water behind it as much as the others.

I would go for the OME springs you'll need front without winch bumper ome2870 with winch bumper ome2876 and rear ome 2871 springs for a 50 mm lift, speak to jake at Devon 4x4

Hi Rich.

I have heard back from Jake at Devon 4x4 and he tells me that those numbers are for the springs on a Bundera or RJ70 circa 84/90.

Do you have further info on why you suggest these springs please?

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
http://ftp.motointegrator.pl/specyfikacje/OLD_MAN_EMU/OME_KATALOG_2011.pdf

OME really don't make it easy to find out which one fits your cruiser... I assume all part numbers that start with a CS are leaf springs

Cheers Rob.

I assume "CS" stands for "cart spring". Page 71 lists the Landcruiser 11, which is Toyota UK designation but the lift is only 30 and 40 mm, which is not enough. There are also refs. for the Bundera or RJ70 for years 84-90 but I dont know if there are any differences.

Roger

The Bundera and RJ70 pre 1990 would have had the front shocks outside the spring the same as the pre-facelift LJ70 in the UK but afaik the springs are the same as the later medels with the shocks inboard of the spring.

Does anyone have any idea as to the weight difference between the LJ70 with the 2.4 engine and the KZJ70 with the 3 litre engine?

Roger

Sorry Dave, I meant to ask for the difference in weight of the engine but saying that, if the LJ is 1800kg, then its the same weight as the KZJ so that answers the question.

Details on the springs so far.

Dobinsons, from a dealer in Poland, are £294 incl tax plus £94 to ship them. The dealer is looking for a cheaper carrier.

Pedders are £259 incl tax plus £5 to deliver. This is less any discount.

OME from Devon 4x4 are £335 plus delivery (unknown).

I am still comparing specs.

Roger

Sorry for the slow reply roger, the only reason I gave you bundera spec is because they list 50mm lift which is what you wanted, the kzj70 springs and only 40mm lift. Although I had the ome on my kzj70 and was plenty of lift with a light load.

Sorry for the slow reply roger, the only reason I gave you bundera spec is because they list 50mm lift which is what you wanted, the kzj70 springs and only 40mm lift. Although I had the ome on my kzj70 and was plenty of lift with a light load.

Cheers Rich.

I am getting closer to picking a winner.

Roger

Eventually went for the Dobinsons. As they don't have a UK distributor, it was necessary to import from Poland. Money took 4-5 days to reach the dealer. In reality the banks kept my money to speculate with. Should this be classed as theft!

In comparison, the springs left Eastern Poland last Friday afternoon and reached me Monday afternoon. Now the last time I was in Germany, freight on trucks cannot use the Autobahn on a weekend, so what route did they take? I know from the tracking that they left Poland and then arrived in Arnhem. TNT were the carriers. Can't fault the service.

Fitting was no problem. Locating studs at the bottom of the rear shocks were well past it so cut them of and welded new ones on. Ride is slightly softer than the old ones, which is good.

At the same time, I fitted a set of Peddler castor correction bushes. Unlike the old ones (Old Man Emu) these are cast rubber style. On close inspection, the OME ones were starting to delaminate and bulge. Also the central steel tube was quite heavily corroded and this was damaging the polymer.

Roger

I pretty sure its just Sundays that have restricted Autobahn use, meaning there is loads of trucks just the other side of both east and west borders on Sunday morning leaving the Autobahns free from heavy traffic.

Interested on your thoughts and pictures of the Pedders bushes, they look really well designed. What was it that made you go for Dobinsons in the end?

Back