Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The bad things about the 80?

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
dare I post this?
we constantly harp on about the virtues of the mighty 80, but what about the bad bits?
this may be a short thread, and that's a good thing, but what niggles you about the 80?
only one point please as it will be a really short thread..

bolts made of marzipan..
ive never known a vehicle with bolts that snap so easily, pretty much every bolt that's never been turned gets a good dose of heat now. then if not replaced with stainless gets a good dollop of copper slip..

dare I post this?
we constantly harp on about the virtues of the mighty 80, but what about the bad bits?
this may be a short thread, and that's a good thing, but what niggles you about the 80?
only one point please as it will be a really short thread..

bolts made of marzipan..
ive never known a vehicle with bolts that snap so easily, pretty much every bolt that's never been turned gets a good dose of heat now. then if not replaced with stainless gets a good dollop of copper slip..

TBF I've never really had a problem with snapping bolts but I learnt a long time ago that if they look suspect heat is your friend.
Rust I would say is now a bad point and the front axle maybe. ( I know thats 2 points)

Agree with you Andy. Bolts aren't much of an issue. I work on 4 year old trucks and bolts snap easier. However rust is an issue, the sills on mine are like paper, soggy paper at that. Electrically though, the plugs on the 80 are the dammed best plugs I've ever seen, and what about that engine? My god it's good

This is some wiring on a 2015 mercedes.....

IMG-20180313-WA0000.jpeg

When I bought and first worked on my 81. I was very surprised that the front wings have 10mm spanner sized bolts and they just go ping ping! Before this I was very used to 70's and 60's which coincidentally have the front wings connected with 12mm spanner sized bolts! So the 81 was quite to my distaste for this after previous experience.

The worst thing about the 80 is the fact that it has an 8" front differential! Very very poor move Toyota! From coming from the 60 series with a far more substantial front differential! Which is still the best LC front axle to date.

Absolutely love the 81 but be much better if the 2 points above carried on from the previous earlier models!

80's are great!

When I bought and first worked on my 81. I was very surprised that the front wings have 10mm spanner sized bolts and they just go ping ping! Before this I was very used to 70's and 60's which coincidentally have the front wings connected with 12mm spanner sized bolts! So the 81 was quite to my distaste for this after previous experience.

The worst thing about the 80 is the fact that it has an 8" front differential! Very very poor move Toyota! From coming from the 60 series with a far more substantial front differential! Which is still the best LC front axle to date.

Absolutely love the 81 but be much better if the 2 points above carried on from the previous earlier models!

80's are great!
Bad thing is ..... there bloody infecious! I got 3 on the road and a hilux and id still have more if the good lady would allow!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I must be heavy handed then.
the connectors are great, I lot of them are water proof, they can be dismantled and re arranged too.
damn it were back to the good bits!..

Handbrake performance/operation/adjustment.
Can’t agree on the bolt snapping thing. When I replaced the rear shocks the top mounting plate bolts took some real stick to remove, even with heat, but came out intact so went back in greased up.
Oh, almost forgot, clutch/gearbox:angry-screaming:

ahh, the good old hand brake, I think most people would agree with that.

As previously stated, handbrake.

Also CDL actuator is needlessly complicated. I understand how it works now and it’s not actually that complicated however having stripped the whole thing down there’s no reason that couldn’t have had a lever arrangement (like a BlandRover) to simplify things.

Rob

For me in the 24 valve power and torque are poorly mated , there's plenty to smile about when they do recognize each other but i instinctively feel Toyota should have put another cog in the gearbox somewhere ?

I am learning to love it though it just needs a bigger exhaust and turbo and intercooler and ............................

oh and whats with all the heater buttons there must be 15 but i can't find one that's says off :wtf:

Errm, hmm, how about the spares market?

Only kidding. Mine never needs any. And my handbrake works great.

Availability of reasonably priced mass market stuff like suspension, bumpers and mods is a drawback.

Shite bodywork (i.e. rust), front axles, BEBs (12v mostly), stupid electric windows, more rust in tail gate, sills, behind back bumper, behind any plastic panels, stupid owners that assume 80 series = no maintenance, stupid owners that downright lie about their vehicles despite being "enthusiasts". 2nd gear after 200,000 miles. Now I think about it, apart from the motor and axles, they're a bit shite really... Thanks for that.

Electrics are my main beef.

OK, mines not a UK spec, so I have ambulance doors at the back, but where the wires go from the body to the doors to power the central locking, the wipers (one on each back window) and the fog lamps, the design of the cable route between body and doors was designed by a child.

Your UK 80 tailgate wires go through a nice offset rubber sheath and I’ll bet nobody has ever had a problem with them chaffing or wires breaking.

Mine did, and shorted out. So what? My brain tells me all the electrics are fused, so the harness will be protected in the event of a short circuit.

Not the case, I had a melt down from the back all the way to the fusebox under the dash, and the fusebox literally melted. It’s burned the whole length of the harness front to back and the dash loom. What a pain in the ass.

It also caught fire at the back behind the side panel where the jack rack is, scared the daylights out of me with all the family on board.

The 80 wiring is thin, I’ve never seen such flimsy wiring in a vehicle. The connectors corrode badly too, both my axle locker power plugs literally fell off the plug units, where the wires had simply turned to dust at the connectors.

Otherwise, despite its weaker points, I love it to bits.

In 47 years of driving I’ve never kept any car for this long, 11 years next month, and I look forward to keeping it for another 11 years, and then another....

Sills? Mine are solid. I bent one and asked the repair shop to pull the dent out. He still cusses me when I see him, because the steel is so thick.

Great truck, I’d love to get my hands on a new one.

I feel you Clive - I love the 80 too - but to be honest (cover your ears) mine has been no better or worse than the Landrover Defenders/Series trucks I've owned. In 5 years its needed about the same ongoing maintenance, and the parts are more expensive and/or impossible to source at a reasonable price (new top tail gate for example). As of today we have a few vehicles on the drive, Jan loves the 80 series and its her weapon of choice, personally I prefer our 110 Defender given a free choice (though I drive the Spider MR2 before any of the others LOL!).

1. Weight - they’re heavy to start with.
2. GVM/payload - too low compared to others such as Defender and G Wagon

Shite bodywork (i.e. rust), front axles, BEBs (12v mostly), stupid electric windows, more rust in tail gate, sills, behind back bumper, behind any plastic panels, stupid owners that assume 80 series = no maintenance, stupid owners that downright lie about their vehicles despite being "enthusiasts". 2nd gear after 200,000 miles. Now I think about it, apart from the motor and axles, they're a bit shite really... Thanks for that.
I agree dave. but I think the main problem with all Toyotas and all 4x4s to be honest is rust.WHY? Iv always had Toyota from my first Hj 60 back in the day (roof peeled off because of rust) Many hiluxs (rusted away) a 80 series we had on the farm got rid because of rust.i even remember it catching fire one day. the only Hilux that didn't have rust (at the time) was my 2.5 d4d that I loved was so gutless I got rid. 102 HP ( WHAT). I now have a 95 LWB collie with nearly 275.000 miles on it (its best friends with my welder)... Ive been looking to replace the collie because of a new tri axle trailer weve got been looking at Patrols (rust rust rust) can we really blame salt on our roads or living on the coast OR are they just badly made. the best thing about any Toyota is the engine... and the only reason I stick with Toyota is they are the best of a bad bunch....Sorry its early and iv got to go to work.. just Grumpy that's all... Any way Mr chapel gate started it...lol

Last edited:
I feel you Clive - I love the 80 too - but to be honest (cover your ears) mine has been no better or worse than the Landrover Defenders/Series trucks I've owned. In 5 years its needed about the same ongoing maintenance, and the parts are more expensive and/or impossible to source at a reasonable price (new top tail gate for example). As of today we have a few vehicles on the drive, Jan loves the 80 series and its her weapon of choice, personally I prefer our 110 Defender given a free choice (though I drive the Spider MR2 before any of the others LOL!).

I agree with you Dave certainly been a long expense and tiresome rebuild to bring the truck up to the standard Toyota intended for me. Although grateful like most could of bought a 100 series with less issues in better condition on hindside.

Only other thing I don’t like is taking the dash out very flimsy and a hassle with so many wires and obstacles on the 94. I think the newer dash became better.

I agree dave. but I think the main problem with all Toyotas and all 4x4s to be honest is rust.WHY? Iv always had Toyota from my first Hj 60 back in the day (roof peeled off because of rust) Many hiluxs (rusted away) a 80 series we had on the farm got rid because of rust.i even remember it catching fire one day. the only Hilux that didn't have rust (at the time) was my 2.5 d4d that I loved was so gutless I got rid. 102 HP ( WHAT). I now have a 95 LWB collie with nearly 275.000 miles on it (its best friends with my welder)... Ive been looking to replace the collie because of a new tri axle trailer weve got been looking at Patrols (rust rust rust) can we really blame salt on our roads or living on the coast OR are they just badly made. the best thing about any Toyota is the engine... and the only reason I stick with Toyota is they are the best of a bad bunch....Sorry its early and iv got to go to work.. just Grumpy that's all... Any way Mr chapel gate started it...lol

Although this thread is veering off track
TBF this discussion is all about budget and which full size 4x4 bwe can buy with a few weeks/months wages. If you think 80's are dear for a good one you should see prices of G Wagens and the attractive engine ones are all LHD. When any vehicle is 20+ years old and used its unlikely they are going to be mint unless they have been enthusiast maintained from new and that means keeping it clean underneath, all preventive maintenance carried out and generally loved.

Specifically talking about 80's ( 20 years old minimum) good ones are still out there, but they are rare,

Back