The dreaded handbrake

THL Oct 3, 2019

1. Chris

Chris Super Moderator Supporter I am in europe

Garage:
    Map
    TBH I just keep forgetting to have a look. I've been at this handbrake thing for best part of 20 years and I don't think I've ever actually got around to simply looking to see if it could be done. Pretty dumb.

2. frank rabbets

frank rabbets Well-Known Member

Map
    And the rubber stops?

3. Chris

Garage:
    Map
    What rubber stops?

4. iwan_t24

iwan_t24 Well-Known Member I am in wales

Map
    With a good handbrake... the rubber stops turning!:lol:

Mark01 likes this.
  5. frank rabbets

Map
    What is the purpose of those adjustable rubber stops behind the back plate? Are they to relax the cable? Mine have never seated from new.

6. Shayne

Shayne Well-Known Member Guru

Map
    In my view most rear brakes are so crap the disk is likely as old as the dog bone so part of that dog bone 5mm is to account for wear in the drum , a standard dogbone + new disk and your back to spec when the truck was new .

That principal applied to both my 90's and and i have never given the handbrakes on them a moments thought since .

7. Chris

Garage:
    Map
    Oh those! If they've never touched Frank then clearly you've not been following the thread on how to adjust it correctly. They take up the slack in the mechanism inside the drum - not the cable to the lever.

8. frank rabbets

Map
    To enable the cable from the handbrake lever to relax. Got it.

9. Chris

Garage:
    Map
    No Frank, that's not it at all. It doesn't have any bearing on the handbrake cable really. You're looking at it from the wrong direction. It controls the 'backlash' if we can call it that in the drum mechanism. Once that is all taken up, you only need the slightest movement in the cable from the lever to apply the brake. You can have slack or no slack at that point because the movement needed to apply the shoes to the inside of the drum is minimal. What you don't want is movement in the lever taking up slop in the drum. Adjusting the little rubber ended screws and the cog wheel leaves the lever and cable only needing to apply a small movement to apply the handbrake

10. frank rabbets

Map
    Ah. Thanks Chris. Never had a problem so haven't stripped and learn how it works. I'll do a strip as a precaution.

11. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in uk

Garage:
    Map
  12. THL

THL Active Member I am in europe

Map
    StarCruiser likes this.
Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter