Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The people have spoken

Well with the SNP seats it's going to be very interesting, can't blame them if they do leave after all, everyone can agree it's a massive shit show.

I can see this being the next “big issue” the media will get their teeth into. As a Sassenach :icon-biggrin: who enjoys holidaying in Scotland I’m not sure how it’s leaving the union would affect me. Nicola Sturgeon has made it very clear she wants to keep Scotland in the EU and she cannot do that while part of the UK. Doesn’t really matter how big the SNP majority is north of the border they cannot leave the union without another referendum and they won’t get that unless the government allows it.
If they do allow it then the vote should be open to everyone in the UK and not just the Scots IMO. Fairs fair.

Catalonian haggis made with real dynamite .

Lets hope lessons have been learned and the pros/cons are presented in black and white without prejudice .

The break up of the union us just the next in a series of constant crisis.This us why Johnson is so provocative , the ensuing crisis distracts from the real issues.The same played out in Spain with the government of the day pouring petrol on the fires of the independence debate to distract from its own failings.

Quite possibly not - but they were in support of a second referendum... which would have give more of a chance for a remain outcome versus a general election. This is of course is why the conservatives pushed for it.

Labour "wanted" a 2nd referendum, but because you voted for Labour it doesn't mean you did. You might just have wanted some semblance of social care and left the door open for leave.

If 'Brexit' has taught us anything its that you don't start off with a "Yes/No" Referendum.

If Boris has any sense he will instigate a 'Cross-Party' working party to spend the next three years digging into the detail of the implications of Scotland leaving the UK. I think they'll have plenty to keep them busy.

Nicola Sturgeon won't want that of course, the message has to be simple to energise those who paint their faces blue.

Interestingly, The figures I saw showed that, in Scotland, the SNP got the most votes (as one would expect) but the Conservatives were not that far behind (but only won six seats).
Labour and the Lib-Dems were quite a long way behind.

Proportional Representation would produce a quite different political landscape.

The Election wasn't about Scottish Independence anyway, even up here, It was about representing constituencies in the Westminster Parliament over a whole host of issues.

Bob.

If 'Brexit' has taught us anything its that you don't start off with a "Yes/No" Referendum.

If Boris has any sense he will instigate a 'Cross-Party' working party to spend the next three years digging into the detail of the implications of Scotland leaving the UK. I think they'll have plenty to keep them busy.

Nicola Sturgeon won't want that of course, the message has to be simple to energise those who paint their faces blue.

Interestingly, The figures I saw showed that, in Scotland, the SNP got the most votes (as one would expect) but the Conservatives were not that far behind (but only won six seats).
Labour and the Lib-Dems were quite a long way behind.

Proportional Representation would produce a quite different political landscape.

The Election wasn't about Scottish Independence anyway, even up here, It was about representing constituencies in the Westminster Parliament over a whole host of issues.

Bob.

Were the Tories not far behind? Just over half of the SNP vote wasn't it? But agree PR would hit the SNP more than anyone else. I make Scotland under PR SNP 27, Con 15, Lab 11, Lib 6.

What is Lab & Lib policy on granting another referendum? Would there be enough ref blocking votes there if it was just a question for Scottish MPs?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We have proportional representation in NZ and it is the biggest disaster you
Could have .You get a bunch of unelected nohopers who if they had to face a
First past the post election would not have a show of getting in.
We were given a choice of change but we all thought that we were going to get preferential voting like the Aussies but the conniving bastards in parliament cut a deal to look after themselves and did.So don’t change your system or you will get bigger idiots than you have now.

Never in my entire life have i ever heard someone introduce themselves as "an Englishman" . I have never met a Scotsman who wasn't very obviously proud to be the bearer of that title .

So i think if i were a Scot i would be very likely to vote SNP for strong representation while at the same time i very much doubt i would vote to be European rather than Scottish .

Reactions: Pat

Ace.jpg

Back