Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thought I'd make my own adventure trailer...

After a proper foul up, I managed to get my new awning sorted and attached today. 2000 x 2500. Sweet. And with the awning room on, it's brill. Very fly-proof indeed.
Just need a ground saver to go with it to keep the mud off.

Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 18.57.55.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 18.58.06.jpg

Looks good Chris.
I've been looking at those and thinking it'd make a nice tent for when it's just me.
The 1.4x2m one as it'd go on the back for awning duties, on the side for tenting duties.

Gary direct 4c4 do a 1.4m version and it's hd fabric like the awning the do for it
The arb one is strong sure but lightweight and great for insects shelter from sun light rain etc but it's not a tent like an Oz tent the direct 4 one is but a lot more money
The D4 is proper rip stop and the arb is really like a fly sheet don't get me wrong it's not a toy but is it a uk all weather tent? Hmm.
It's here if you're passing

It was the direct 4x4 ones I was looking at tbh. It's one of those in no rush to buy and looking at options. I like the idea of an awning I can turn into a tent. Goes with the multi use set up that's slowly coming together with the 80.

I'll have to give you a call when going to be passing and have a look. Want to see the trailer anyway tbh :icon-biggrin:

Been a packed weekend. Taking advantage of the fact it's not pouring.

Got a bit creative with the mudflaps today. Rally style. This is a protptype but already seems to stop all the county lane shite from spattering up the back of the trailer.

Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 17.47.33.jpg

Been messing around trying to put some more manly wheels and tyres on but failed. With 80 wheels and something like a 265, the offset is just too much to clear the damper but still stay inside the arch. I could do with some 255.85.16s on a Colorado rim perhaps. Looks better with the spacers on any way and the 15" steels.

Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 17.47.24.jpg

Filled the tyres with goo to prevent flats.
Also found the OS leaf spring pack clamp was touching the bottom of the damper so that was quickly moved using Milwaukee power. Also swapped the Coopers over to the BFG AT's in readiness for the big trip.

Big spend this week was another Optima YT S 5.5 The old AGM that were in there seemed to be holding fine - I really put a big heavy load on them and they took it well, but they just don't seem to charge as fast as a Yellow Top. So out with the old and in with the new.

Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 17.47.13.jpg

Eventually, these will go in line between the new water tanks, over the axle. Once they arrive from Capetown that is.

More spending I'm afraid so look away if you're easily upset, but I also ordered a CTEK D250S and a Smartpass plus, sorry, a Victron BMV 700. They'll go in next weekend.

Now annoyingly, I ordered a drawer to go above the fridge but when it came it was the wrong one and way too wide to fit. Another will come but it's not going to be here in time. So I had to get creative. OK so it's ugly, but basically I slit the drawer up the middle, pushed it together and pop riveted it back together. A cut and shut job. It fits and works. Hey, it's a drawer!
Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 17.46.51.jpg

Currently full of crap.

Also dropped the front diff oil again, made a new ally deck for the tailgate and did lots of checking and tapping all over. Getting ready. Not that much more to do now.

Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 17.47.48.jpg

Ridiculously busy day today in the sunshine. Might not look much but it's more involved than it looks. But just about there. Just the thermo-sensors to fix and the data cable (grey one) to tidy up.

So the CTEKs are in and so is the Victron along with the shunt and display. The old DC 2 DC charger is actually fine as are the AGM batteries but the install wasn't up to it. The cables just weren't the right CSA. Yo can use 25 mm2 then go to 16mm and then back to 25mm and finish off with 10 mm2. It's just wrong. The current has to come all the way from the alternator, through the vehicle, up the draw bar and then into the CTEKs which is best part of 10m. So looking better now, CTEKs banging a good charge in to the Optimas. The Victron telling me that if the fridge ran continuously, which of course it doesn't, it would run for 10 days before the CTEK shut down to prevent harmful drain from the batteries. The new 700 series now has watts display whcih is funky. I like that.

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 18.33.44.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 18.33.55.jpg

You may think that the red cable could have been better routed, but trust me, I had it every-which way and the CTEK doesn't have the most accessible contacts to wire to. And I couldn't go lower because the toilet fits in there.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Been thinking about the way you have made your tent lift. Love it.

What I have been considering is the fact no matter what you will always be able to get the bed level. Give or take.

It's also what impressed me with shaynes trailer.

May have to steal the Idea off one of you.

Stu unless you park on a cliff you can level it out, yes. There are nylock nuts on the top of the jacks that can be tightened so there's literally no slop at all in the 4 jacks. That would snap something for sure. I have them backed off so that whilst they don't look loose, if you jack one corner on its own, there's maybe 5" of movement. Once the other legs start to come up, you can pitch it around like it's on a gimble. If the ground is pretty level to begin with, only a tweak is needed on the jacks.

Ordered a Blutoof dongle for the Victron so I can read out the trailer charge state on my iphone. Whoop whoop.

That victron looks smart and an it can be connected to a phone
I like that
Not sure if I really need one, but.....

Been thinking about the way you have made your tent lift. Love it.
What I have been considering is the fact no matter what you will always be able to get the bed level. Give or take.
It's also what impressed me with shaynes trailer.
May have to steal the Idea off one of you.

If i had your set up Stu i would be copying Chris to give me the height for an awning/room . Legs like mine are just gonna put your kitchen too high .

I like your windy legs Shayne - just for levelling out so that when I do a fry-up the oil doesn't all run to one side of the pan. But there really isn't anywhere to put them on the trailer. I have a fix for the table counter though so I can level that in at least one plane. Or find a flat spot to camp of course. I do have some wheel ramps as well so I can pull the trailer up onto those. But legs would have been nice.

I'm sure it could be done Chris , imagine bolting a jockey wheel to all 4 corners but its a lot weight to add for not much gain , for me it was all about having a level bed and your fix has sorted that .

Looked at that. You can't open the doors if you bolt anything to the sides Shayne. Remember mine is not just a trailer, it's a bunch of cupboards on wheels.

What i mean is i don't think i would if i could on your trailer , mine had to be supported all for corners as its about 14ft wide when open so with no adjustment i could end up in a real mess with regards to leveling .

Well bless me. Bloke walked up the drive at lunchtime today, yes it's Sunday, delivery from Amazoom. Blutuff dongle for the BMV 700. Sunday??

Fitted it and it just sat there blinking error at me. I went round and round until I checked the website. Ahh, seems it was after a software update. Connect to iphone, updated, perfectos. Now have full control and display on the phone. Super. Hmm, expensive toy.

Well very very close now. Nearly finished. When I get back from the Baltic, hopefully I will get the new water tanks and move the batteries plus get the right kitchen drawer. But for now, lock and load. Scandinavia here we come.

I have jacks on my trailer at 4 corners so RTT can be leveled at nearly any angle. Came in very useful on our long trip across different terrains and you didn't have to fart around trying to find a level spot (not easy in the boonies of Bolivia !)
2 are hydraulic and other 2 cranker (by hand) - wre taken off an old US RV

Worked grea and well recommended.

Now if I could come up with something small (1-4" 'lift') for RTT on track rack the wife would be very happy.

Hydraulic???? Oh my, I just let out a little wee.

Back