Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thought I'd make my own adventure trailer...

The gas connections are available widely. They're just snap connectors and seem very good. I have tested them with leak solution and they're certainly gas tight. I guess they really have to be to be sold. There are different versions depending on what you wish to connect to. Some have a LH thread to go onto appliances and some RH threads for downstream connections. The snap parts are all the same, it's the males that are different.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/cadac-8mm-quick-release-coupling-p366864

Whilst the trailer is really pretty much finished, there are some mods and upgrades still to do. I intend to move the water tanks and batteries at some point to better balance the weight distribution but that's a pretty big job. The replacement tanks won't be with me until October at the earliest.

So to keep my busy ...

One of the design parameters of both the truck and trailer is that things have to be easy to get to. Or you simply don't use them. A great feature of the trailer is the table storage. Open the door, slide the table out.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 08.42.14.jpg

However, whilst the table has been good, it's a £30 table and is beginning to fall apart. I went to see my local catering fabricator and asked him to copy the table for me in stainless. A couple of says later, he came up with the goods. However, he only made the top and the legs. He said fitting it all together was my job. That sounded easy. Hmm, two days later, I finally finished. What a pain getting all the angles for dangle for the leg braces. Everything had to be drilled free hand too as it wouldn't fit in the miller. I had to make spacer blocks too yadda yadda. But it's done. The top is catering grade stainless ie it's genuinely stainless. Non magnetic, non staining. There are companies selling 'expedition' tables at ridiculous prices but the key thing here was that it had to fit exactly in the same space.

It's a small thing but makes me happy. The feet are adjustable too. In real life they are in focus by the way. I might have a shelf made that fits over the legs and stores upside down inside the table. Handy for putting pots and pans on when cooking.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 08.41.13.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 08.41.33.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 08.41.42.jpg

Love the table! Will last a life time . Clever storage too. Mine sits under the dog bed in the truck.. .... Got me thinking now!

Last edited:
Chris, How hot does the exhaust output (does it just come out the top?) get when the hot water heater has been running a few minutes? I recently bought the maxi and have been considering stealing your idea for a mounting point so that it's always ready to go instead of what seems the more popular option of having to hang it off one of the external doors.

Ahh, that's a very good question Grant. This new heater does seem more efficient and the exhaust isn't quite as hot but still not something you'd want to stick your hand in. Initially the set up produced so much heat you could seriously fry an egg on the roof. So, I fitted the deflector shield and covered the inside of the roof with some of that space shuttle heat resistant material. Basically quilted tinfoil. This allows the heat to escape out of the front door. The roof is cold to the touch so it works. Now some of the larger heaters have a flue which could go out through the roof or even the side of the trailer. I couldn't do that for a few reasons not least it would have set fire to the roof tent. I never really run the burner for long periods; its not like I am trying to full a bathtub. I have used it to shower and with the shower head set to the fine spray (which is lovely) the water flow on full and the heater flame setting on half, I was able to complete my ablutions without melting the trailer. This new heater makes water so hit it's actually unusable for washing. I run that straight into the kettle so that it saves electricity to boil it for a cuppa.

One thing worth doing is mounting it so that there is some shock absorption. I don't think they respond well to being battered about. Mine is over the axle and mounted on rubber bobbins to isolate it a bit. Seems fine. Also, have a look at the Sureflow pumps. Those little diaphragm pumps are rubbish. Fit one of those bad boys and you won't look back. I'm thinking about teeing off the output again and putting an outside tap on the back of the trailer for filling buckets to wash the truck with.

If you mount it to a door, there is a chance that it might get slammed about a bit. I think I speak for everyone when we say we'd like some build pics Grant .....

Lots of great ideas there Chris - Thanks. I hadn't considered the vibration factor at all so the rubber bobbin tip is great. The long period of running I was thinking of was shower length so I'll be picking up some of that space insulation too.

The trailer came with a rather large looking sure flow pump so that one is at least sorted. With regards to the temperature i'm hoping the thermostatic mixing valve I picked up some time back will help out there. If it works the way I want then I will just be able to set the temp of the water heater some where near max and just control the temp at the mixer. Fitting a rear tap has hit my to do list as well even just for quickly washing hands away from the kitchen area.

Build thread ... ermm arrrr ... yep you've got me there. There is a plan to get that under way once I actually start the mods to the trailer and the 80 series.

I should be at Lincomb with it assuming I can get this possible turbo issue or exhaust leak sorted on Tuesday.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Forgive me stating the obvious here but running the boiler is limited to the amount of cold water you have on board. So yes I could have a 140 litre shower, but you just wouldn't. The handset on mine has three settings just like at home but it also has an on / off switch. Effectively this is like turning the tap off whilst you brush your teeth; the amount you use is vastly reduced. With the boiler clicking in and out every 30 seconds or so whilst you lather your bits up, it's really not going to heat up that much. If you don't have a handset with the switch, I'd get one.

I bought a shower tent too by the way. It's a great thing, but the only fail on it is there isn't a hole to poke the shower hose through and because the door zips closed top to bottom, you can't shove it through the opening either. It has lovely little shelves inside and windows. Showering with a view of the Alps was super. I also carry a Tesco shower duck-board. It's a wooden slatted thing for bathrooms. Keeps you out of the mud that you will create. It packs away very small. I'm going to cut a slit in it and have the Missus button-hole it on the sewing machine.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 17.44.33.jpg

We had a cheap pop-up shower tent, butbinned it in Morocco, the zip broke and the thing tested my patience packing it up

I think that's the only photo I have seen from your summer trip to Spain / France
Got any more ?

Not many Andy no. We just don't take many. As I said before, I'm always driving and the other two lazy gits can't be bothered.

Wrong thread but just to keep you all happy, here's some sort of trailer related ones.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 18.51.05.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 18.51.29.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 18.52.13.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 18.52.42.jpg

Nice
I hope the young geologist noted the fold core in sandstone (or possibly limestone) middle-left of second photo

She will have in a minute Andy

Love the the pic with LC and trailer and vertical strata,
Great LC geology combo ;)

That is a might fine trailer Chris. But what it really needs is some kind of wood burning stove for those cooler evenings........

Love the photos.

Nick, I hate to break the news, but it has one. And a fire pit too. Errm, actually 2 fire pits and a wood burning stove. Now it doesn't have a tanning salon, but I'm working on it but I want to finish the conservatory first ha ha.

That reminds me Nick, I need some logs for the upcoming meetings!

Im with you on the shower tents chris. Ours has a sunroof that unzips. Cant beat having a shower in the sun in the middle of no where..

I have one in the 80 too. End of a long dusty day in Morocco, parked in the stone desert having a lovely hot shower and a change of clothes followed by a nice G&T. Didn't have the shower tent then. So someone was probably scarred for life!

i've got more logs than you can shake a stick at and a garden full of trees yet to be cut up. Feel free to come and grab a load on your way past.

Back