Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tight Steering on 120

I think you will find that it is the lower joint on the steering column starting to seize. It can be relieved temporarily by spraying the joint u/j with wd40 (or similar) and working into the joint. If the steering goes stiff then loosens off like a 3d bit as you turn it, this virtually guarantees that this is the problem. My LC4 is suffering the same malady.

I've just had this exact problem...I thought it was a power steering issue, but a full can of WD 40 and then a re grease has sorted it.

I've just had the bus undersealed, and think the steam cleaning caused it.

I didn't believe something so simple could cause something that felt so bad!

Well the new part has arrived, must say good service from Millner. Will have a go on Sunday....

Well managed to get that done, was a bit of a struggle to get the bottom joint to free up without going excessively hard with a BFH. In the end used heat and a little plate to help me spread the joint apart. So steering now nice and smooth...

Old one definitely knackered, but not as bad as I thought it would be.
20190120_140212.jpg

20190120_140207.jpg

20190120_140409.jpg

20190120_144623.jpg

Down side was I did not secure the steering wheel before I started and I must have rotated the steering a full turn off center which resulted in me breaking the spiral cable. Hooter and cruise no longer working. That'll be another £110 pounds spent with Milner..

I must have also damaged something with the ABS as that keeps on coming on and applying the brakes... sigh

Now drinking whiskey :sob::sob::sob:

Oh you didn't! Been there done that. Now, I can't say for sure on the 120 TP but the spiral does more than just the honker. It has something to do with the TC and pitch and yaw controls. It senses when the steering and wheels are in line or not in relation to the vehicle's actual direction. If that's damages it effectively thinks you are skidding.

I do keep on telling myself that I should leave well alone, but hey ho. I will change the spiral cable first and see if that fixes the ABS type issue, the little skidding light comes on in the dash so you may well be onto something Chris.

Hopefully I can jut change the spiral cable and rest the steering wheel orientation without having to remove the steering column again.

Amusingly I marked the position of the shaft on both ends so that I could put the new one back in the same place, but when heating up the bottom end it burnt off the tipex... :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling: So it cold well be off a bit

I do keep on telling myself that I should leave well alone, but hey ho. I will change the spiral cable first and see if that fixes the ABS type issue, the little skidding light comes on in the dash so you may well be onto something Chris.

Hopefully I can jut change the spiral cable and rest the steering wheel orientation without having to remove the steering column again.

Amusingly I marked the position of the shaft on both ends so that I could put the new one back in the same place, but when heating up the bottom end it burnt off the tipex... :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling: So it cold well be off a bit

I had an ABS light which I eventually (having read the circuit diagram wrong in the manual and pulled most of the dash out!) traced to the spiral. So it definitely can have an effect.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi, When did you order your item? They are now saying out of stock.
Ordered on Wednesday 16th, arrived Thursday 17th. I paid the extra £5 for next day delivery.

Likewise, ordered the clock spring thing yesterday and put for delivery due in tomorrow.

Ordered on Wednesday 16th, arrived Thursday 17th. I paid the extra £5 for next day delivery.

Likewise, ordered the clock spring thing yesterday and put for delivery due in tomorrow.
I ordered one on Wed, you must have got there just before me. Now have to wait 2-3 weeks.

Roughtrax may do them...

So replaced the spiral cable thingie this evening. Easy enough job and took 30mins to do.

Steering now nice and smooth, like its brand new :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

Cheers for all the help and pointers with diagnosing this problem, much appreciated.

Back