Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tow Bar and dare I say..... Bike Rack

Sam

Garage
She wanted bikes. I didn't. Now I have a bike.

It's like being a kid again though and the kids love charging about like nutters together. So she was right on this one - I'll give her that.

But when I stood my new leg powered "bike" next to my now rarely used "real" 1000cc engine powered BIKE I slowly shook my head. I knew what was coming. And before long, there it was.

Now what she said was, "oooo we should get a bike rack - then we can take the bikes over the forest with the kids and jump around like children - or find some canals to ride along together"...

...... but what I heard was.... "Lets see what ridiculous lumps of shame inducing, drag increasing, paint scratching, rear view inhibiting lumps of junk we can bolt on to the back of your lovely Land Cruiser!"

My desperate excuses about not knowing where to get one or how to fit one have run out.

"Just ask your invisible friends in the computer" she says... "They know everything don't they?".

So.... I need a towbar assembly. It makes sense that I buy a rack to fit my towbar rather than the other way round so I'm thinking I should buy a newbie removable one from Mr T and keep it for the long term (waiting on price now - someone said they dont need bumper cutting :think:) - but before I dedicate all and any spare money for the next 5 years to the cause - I thought I'd check to see if anyone had anything to add?

Importantly, does anyone know of any probelms with weak assembly due to removableness or anything? Quite like the idea of being able to snap it off easily when I want to be able to say I haven't got one :icon-wink:

Any pointers or experience much appreciated :thumbup:

UPDATE: Toyota just called. They say a deatchable kit is no longer listed for the 120 - and they cant supply electrics. This can't be true..... I shall investigate further....

Last edited:
She wanted bikes. I didn't. Now I have a bike.

It's like being a kid again though and the kids love charging about like nutters together. So she was right on this one - I'll give her that.

But when I stood my new leg powered "bike" next to my now rarely used "real" 1000cc engine powered BIKE I slowly shook my head. I knew what was coming. And before long, there it was.

Now what she said was, "oooo we should get a bike rack - then we can take the bikes over the forest with the kids and jump around like children - or find some canals to ride along together"...

...... but what I heard was.... "Lets see what ridiculous lumps of shame inducing, drag increasing, paint scratching, rear view inhibiting lumps of junk we can bolt on to the back of your lovely Land Cruiser!"

My desperate excuses about not knowing where to get one or how to fit one have run out.

"Just ask your invisible friends in the computer" she says... "They know everything don't they?".

So.... I need a towbar assembly. It makes sense that I buy a rack to fit my towbar rather than the other way round so I'm thinking I should buy a newbie removable one from Mr T and keep it for the long term (waiting on price now - someone said they dont need bumper cutting :think:) - but before I dedicate all and any spare money for the next 5 years to the cause - I thought I'd check to see if anyone had anything to add?

Importantly, does anyone know of any probelms with weak assembly due to removableness or anything? Quite like the idea of being able to snap it off easily when I want to be able to say I haven't got one :icon-wink:

Any pointers or experience much appreciated :thumbup:

UPDATE: Toyota just called. They say a deatchable kit is no longer listed for the 120 - and they cant supply electrics. This can't be true..... I shall investigate further....

I've had a 4 bike version of one of these on mine for years. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PENDLE-3-..._Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&hash=item258e89bbe2Used it on my Disco in a previous life. VERY strong and removable in seconds. Mine is a standard tow bar though so unsure if it would fit the removable type.

You could try Towsure in Sheffield for a tow bar.

http://www.towsure.com/static/types_of_towbar#Eclipse

Last edited:
Hi Sam, the tow all clamp-on type are OK, but much depend on how many bikes (weight) you want to carry and how often you'll use it.

I've had one for years but I wouldn't want to carry more than 4 bikes on it. It's also lost it's grip on the ball to the extent that I've drilled it through (and through the ball) and I secure it with a big bolt. It takes some time for them to lose their grip though. Needless to say I don't use that ball for towing :lol:

I also presume you you don't have a square receiver on your bumper, otherwise you'd have said so. These are great because you can have a dedicated insert for a super strong bike rack that will never fail (I'm in the process of having a 5-bike receiver rack made but the project's on stop for the moment).

Hatchback strap-ons are also OK for two maybe 3 bikes max, but more chance to scratch up your paint.

PF Jones do a westfalia removable towbar as well as several others. Its very similar to the Toyota one to the point of just being rebadged. They also do tow bar wiring kits in plug and play style as well. Not sure on prices but when i bought my westfalia from them they were the cheapest about. Check both their ebay shop and online shop as sometimes one will be cheaper than the other

Thanks for the replies chaps....

Spare wheel is underneath or I'd just tie the bikes on to it :lol:

When it comes to the rack probably looking at something to carry 3 bikes - 2 big mountainy ones and one of the kids ones... On the rare occasion both little ones are in on the action the smallest will just get thrown in the back.

Had confirmation from Toyota that the detachable tow bar assemblies are no longer sold by them :thumbdown:

So, checking out the Towsure, PF Jones, Witter and eBay offerings... Cheers fellas... Will keep you posted with whatever I end up with.... With fitting pics of course!

.... Just a thought... Anyone else looking for the same? Group buy? :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
http://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff/vehicles/misc/tuf-rack/
I got the Witter detachable and the 4-bike carrier, both a great job, bit expensive, but solid as a rock.
That was on my S-Max, although now have it fitted to the LC80.
http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/cycle_carriers/buyCycleCarrier.php?partNo=ZX404

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a nice piece of kit.

I'm trying to replicate this receiver mount http://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff/vehicles/misc/tuf-rack/ or something very similar.

Intending to (one day) attempt a mountain bike holiday business (of some sorts) here, so it's worth a shot. With 6 bikes in the stable so far, I'll be able to fill the 8-bike version before long!

I used to to lug them onto the roof rack and have them all lined up and strapped down, but it's a big faff, and I'm not getting any younger:lol: :icon-rolleyes:

Back