Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota landcruiser vx 4.2 diesel amazon hdj80, 12 mnths mot, full history, taxed

I think this belongs to eatapeach on here...

EDIT: Yep - here in the classifieds: http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/46975-93-80-series-for-sale

still for sale - I had the usual emails about rusty tailgates (which the ad says it doesn't have) and leaks in the footwell (nope again) - even had a few offers but I'm not desperate to sell - one guy tried to p/ex two numberplates and when I declined offered me his 60 plate shogun - obviously I'd have to add about £18k but he couldn't see why I wouldn't do the deal.....

i need to replace it with something and that's hard at the minute - if I found an 100 I'd be more motivated to sell but I know this cruiser and its good/bad points and I'm happy to wait ....

i need to replace it with something and that's hard at the minute - if I found an 100 I'd be more motivated to sell but I know this cruiser and its good/bad points and I'm happy to wait ....

So it's back on ebay and the idiot emails have already started. I know I'm supposed to be patient and nice at Xmas but it's difficult when faced with people asking you what mpg it will do the gallon and why I'm selling it if it's a good one...one guy asked me for more pics and then asked if it had a stamped full service book and did I have the original supplying dealer invoice?!?! I'm not quite sure what they think they are buying but I sent him back the attached, and also suggested that Oakleigh would sell him one with any paperwork he needed for £10k.

2201688044_b9a72418e2_o_zpsc5926db2.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've been looking and its just what I want apart from my heart says buy a manual! BTW I've not asked any stupid questions! Buying one from a forum member/enthusiast does seem to be the way forward? If you fancy swopping gearboxes I'll be there in a flas!LOL

I am very tempted but not sure I could live with an auto everyday. Admittedly I've not yet tried one as all the 80's I've looked at locally so far have been manuals,there's not a lot of choice down in this end of the world so haven't had the chance to roadtest an auto and its a bit far to go to find I don't like it,plus I wouldn't like to waste my own and other peoples time! If I could find something closer to try first I may be persuaded???
I have owned auto cars before and just didn't like them although to be fair they were relatively small engined which we all know doesn't work with an autobox.
My other half has a V8 auto disco which I do enjoy driving but I only get to use that when it needs work and/or fuel!

I am very tempted but not sure I could live with an auto everyday....

What is there not to like. With a manual you have to keep stirring that stick between the seats and exercising your left foot every 20 seconds. With an auto, you just stick it in 'D' and leave it there until you get home, then select 'R' to reverse up the drive :icon-biggrin:

Seriously, I think the 'auto thing' is age related, when I was young I didn't like driving them.... now I'm an old bastit I prefer them to manuals, even my BM 335d is an auto. I occasionally drive the Mrs Nissan Juke and stirring the gear stick is a bind :doh:

Auto's are great until your off road and need to come down a steep hill in 1st low. :doh:

For me the lack of engine breaking on steep descents is the only down side. :think:

I've gone the opposite way Paul, I must really be getting younger each birthday :lol:

P.S. it's a 4 speed box not 5 speed :icon-wink:

LOL! Im 32,so not really young or old? Not sure where that leaves me. It is the lack of engine braking that puts me off although Im not (yet)planning on off roading an 80 very aggressively. I will spend a lot of time towing though, at/around/over MGW and Im not keen on coming downhill holding it all back on the brakes?
Ive been brought up on old school boxes and TBH know very little about Auto's other than they're complicated and cannot easily be fixed by a bloke with a fistful of spanners.
I also dont like to think Im 'wasting' engine power,although its probably negilable.
We will see what happens in the next week or so,although this car does tick nearly all the boxes
Sorry to hijack the thread by the way with a discussion over auto/manual boxes,I know its been done to death as Ive read most of the threads on here!

Ben/Captain, why do you think you have no engine breaking with an auto?

My 80 can be held in L (1st) if needed and offers a huge amount of engine breaking.

For me,its just not the same ? There's still an amount of 'slip' which a manual doesnt have?

towing is very different with a manual, much more controlled, but more work than an auto, depends how much work you mind doing especially in traffic.

Ben/Captain, why do you think you have no engine breaking with an auto?

My 80 can be held in L (1st) if needed and offers a huge amount of engine breaking.

Paul from from my experience of driving off road in auto 4x4s they tend to build up more speed coming down a steep hill than in a manual. :thumbdown:

It was discussed a bit more in the thread below. :icon-wink:

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...imb-in-an-automatic?highlight=engine+breaking

I like being able to put mine in 1st low, take all my feet off the pedals and let it crawl itself down the hill.
Where as as others have said in the thread below you have to keep pressing the brakes in an auto. :think:

Last edited:
My humble apologies, I stand corrected.

Although the auto can be held in 'L' it seems the engine breaking is different, maybe due to the different ratios between a manual and auto box 1st gear..

I still prefer an auto though.... especially in the sand.

My auto has better engine breaking that a standard manual. Due to have having the diffs lower.

minor update

I would love to buy it, to use as a road car, but I do not have enough spare cash!!.

Minor update

So I was going to come on here and talk about now being more motivated to sell - seeing as I'd found another and only having space for one...

However - that "deal" fell through. It was this - the 100 on ebay with the odd gearbox fault - I was getting it for a reasonable price. I had some initial doubts as it seemed to have had some paint in the photos - anyway the guy was passing Manchester so brought it down for me to look at. This was after someone else won it on ebay but failed to collect - more of that later!

It wasn't great - but was OK. Oddly the bonnet seemed to have had paint but not the wings which is unusual. I was ultra cautious to check if it had been front-ended but couldn't see any tell tale signs. I was prepared to buy though as it had no major flaws apart from that (and the gearbox), and drove well enough. The ABS light was on - which I told him about and he got a new sensor put on. He also regassed the aircon and we were good to go. I was asked to put a deposit on it and collect on Friday (tomorrow). Anyway - first hurdle - I was paying into someone else's account. That was explained away - but before I made a deposit I HPI'd the car. It turned out it's a Cat D (August 2010) - which he never mentioned in the advert nor in discussion. So - when he rang today I said there was a problem as it was a write off - he immediately said he didn't know and to forget the deal. I'd have still considered it at a lower price but he made it plain the deal was off - then called me a "fuck**g timewaster" and slammed the phone down on me. That's a bit strange for someone in business....so if/when it comes round again be warned.

Back to the hunt.

Back