Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

transfer box front input shaft bearing

kingtom

Country Flag
uk
Does anyone know the dimentions of the front input shaft bearing in the transfer box? I need a new one but Toyota are a rip off.
Tom

Be careful what you buy Tom. Toyota are expensive but the cost weighed up to doing the job twice isn't so bad. Ps.ill drop you a reply to text this just reminded me. Sorry :oops:

Cheers karl. Yeah i can get toyo and ntn bearings from down the road. Saved myself a fortune when it came to rebuilding the front axel compared to what Toyota were selling the exact same bearings for. Failing that is this somthing you can get?

Sorry mate. I read the above as a seal not a bearing.

I could get one but not short notice to be honest. Jon Wildsmith maybe a good person to ask the sizes.

No idea sorry. Bit unusual for an input shaft bearing to go, it's usually the output shaft bearings that need replacing.

Sorry jon your right the output shaft bearing. Me being an idiot. Got a slight weep from the seal so when i get it apart ill change the bearing at the same time

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's not unusual for those seals to go and the bearing be fine.

Can you not just remove the bearing then nip down the road with it and get the correct part- if you are removing it anyway

I took the air con pump pulley to the stockist who said I would have to go to Toyota as it was a special. However I see on ebay you can get the right size and make from other suppliers. So if the stockist can't get one there are other routes.

Well from looking at the transfer box ill have to take the whole front off to get to the bearing and seal which could be a fairly big job. id rather have the bearing to fit straight in rather then find ive got to wait with the whole thing in bits

Dead easy job. Check my build. I posted it only a month or so ago. You need to drop the cross member and lower the transmission down a teeny bit to get room to wiggle the extension housing off. On and off in less than an hour IIRC. Even quicker if you get an old one, say from Karl, do the seal and bearing in advance then whip the old one off and new on back on in a oner.

Make sure you have a socket with a flex joint that will get onto all of the bolts ok. I did the rear output without much fuss but couldn't get to the front one with the tools I had and I have a fair collection of tools. I ended up buying a 3/8 swivel socket to get into the top but. There is a lifting eye up there that seems to get in the way.

In fact I'm pretty sure it would be easier to drop the transfer case out complete to do the front bearing and seal than trying do so the front seal with it still on the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, front housing comes off easy if you follow my lead. Drop the cross member and you can get to it. I know the bolt you mean. It was the only one that didn't want to play. I figured I'd have one shot. Used the nut buster and extension. One quick blast and it was out.

I tried all I could with my 1/2" swivel and just couldn't get in there. The 3/8 one gets in there ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back