Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tuning the KZ-TE

jeepmadmike

After my truck died, self healed and then died again I started digging into the electronics and they're purpose on the pump.

Its all actually quite simple, in comparison to a common rail oil burner (I'm an electrical engineer so my simple might not be everyone's!)

anyway while hunting on the web for diagrams and info I found a ozzy surf forum which had a thread involving tuning:icon-biggrin: , I've always been a fan of "turning up the pump" on old school engines and TBH if your not silly you don't have any issues (my camper runs a bit hotter when pushed hard for example, but that's another story)

So on the side of the pump there are 2 resistors (referred to as correction resistors) which mrT fits to tell the ECU what timing and fuelling correction is required.
the Ozzy's say the pump timing is retarded to improve the NOX emissions, but this reduces power and burns more fuel:icon-rolleyes:

now I've been experimenting with a variable resistor on the timing ECU input and OMG its a changed truck much more torque and the turbo spins up quicker, it's interesting on wet roundabouts :icon-cool:

I will tell more once I learn more!

Come on its been 6 hours, how long are we expected to wait... Lol :think:

sounds very interesting.

Sounds interesting for the older KZ owners.

Not sure any of them would welcome the higher temperatures though.
Little bit fickle, is the KZ to temperature.

Gra.

Running a tunit box with my KZ-TE works amazingly with bags more torque and turbo comes in a lot sooner hence keeping the revs down = better fuel consumption too, just like glorified variable resistors in a way.
Will be interesting to see what you find out.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Been for a play with it again this evening- driven the same roads at standard settings and mildly tweaked

its definitely going better driven flat out up a hill against the clock shows a marked improvement.

driven "normally" it also improves, it feels like it needs less throttle to maintain the same speed and the autobox is happier if that makes sense- it drives and performs more like it did on standard size rubber:icon-biggrin:.

no idea on fuel consumption yet, but TBH I have little interest in that as its done less than 800miles in the last year... I wouldn't be surprised if driven with less enthusiasm it would give better MPG

the MOT is due soon so I will see how the emissions are then.

Also theres no difference in running temperature!

I don't know much about oil burner tuning but I'm guessing that advancing the inject is going to effect the exhaust temperature as much or possibly more than the head temp, I might slap on a thermocouple and a indicator to keep that in check.

has anyone ever played with water injection? From what I have heard the tractor pulling boys do it to stop pistons melting as much as power increase- on second thoughts that might be best on the camper!

This has now got me thinking about adjusting the pump timing on my camper :icon-exclaim:

Never had any intention of tweaking it till I stumbled onto the surf site dam Ozzies

Watching with interest...
When you say no increase in running temperature - what gauge are you using for reference? Factory or aftermarket?

I have a Tunit and water injection on my 1KZTE. Goes OK but my problem is I actually need more heat to get the best out of the water injection - it has improved torque, but I only see a significant mpg improvement on hot days.

What exactly do you do to the resistors?

I have tuned the pump, but only the spill control valve which just puts in slightly more fuel throughout the rev range.

Driven it more again today

Is opposite lock on slow tight corners in the dry socially acceptable? It's fun anyway... It's also fun on the traffic lights

i tweaked it back to standard just for a reality check- wont be doing that again!

I must fit a accurate temperature gauge on the head ASAP! Just to keep it in check.

as for what I do to the resistors, all I have done currently is unplugged the timing resistor and connected a 5k 10turn pot (variable resistor) first off I measured the voltage the ECU is seeing from the standard resistor (2.74v on mine) and then set the pot to give the ECU a higher voltage (currently 3.1volts) it's as simple as that.

Ive not played with the fuelling at all yet, I think it might be ok for a increase but I will get the emissions checked first to see where it is first- am I'm right in thinking diesels don't like running lean?

Have you got a Pyro/EGT gauge fitted?

Ive read a few times now in 4WD Action and on their forum, that its worth fitting one of these before you start tuning so you can keep an eye on how the engine is doing. :think:

I want to fit one on mine at some point. :icon-cool:

Last edited:
I have a tune it box fitted and a 3" exhaust system and its a totally different car to drive! I really can't say how much better it is!

Back