1. Quiet on road.
2. High mileage.
3. Good in wet.

All my miles are on road.

Can someone suggest the right tyre.
thanks

Frank

Michelins would be my choice for a 100% road biased tyre every time :thumbup:

The Grabber AT2s are good all round. Not as quiet as the Grandtreks but hardly noticeable. Very good in the wet and seem to get very good mileage.
Cheaper than the standard Grandreks on the 120.

Why not update your sig so we know what vehicle?

I'm pretty sure Frank has an 80 and from other posts, I would assume that the tyre size he's after is 275/70/16 (i.e. the std 80 OEM size) - confirmation of this would be helpful!

In 275/70, options are pretty limited compared with more common sizes :? I've had Yokohama Geolanders (H/T-S I think) and Pirelli Scorpion ATs in 275 - both were quiet and performed well in the wet. I would think that the Pirellis would give higher mileage but the ATs are now very rare, perhaps no longer offered so not the most useful of feedback.

If your usage is for zero off-road work (i.e. tar only apart from the very occasional good dirt road) then most of the 100% road biased tyres from the reputable manufacturers will be quiet and good in the wet. Those are 2 of the main design parameters after all! Anyone's guess as to which tyres will last longest - my guess would be BFG AT but they're not quieter than road tyres and probably not better in the wet. And they're more expensive than most - but cost is not mentioned as a criterion here.

Cheers,

Hi
Don't know much about computers; only what I've taught myself. I didn't know I had a signature but will try and update!

It's a 1996 24 valve 80 vx. I use michelin LTX which do 60,000 miles but now need a 3rd set but they are obsolete. Size is 275x70x16. So between the new style michelin and the grandtreks which are the quieter?

Thanks
Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back