Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

tyre inflator recommendation (not onboard air!!)

jonnyboy54321

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
After the failure of footpump number 3 at a crucial time, can anyone recommend a good 12 (or 12/240v) inflator that is cost effective for an "emergency" situation? I have a compressor and airline at home but was stymied on Friday down at my unit by a partly flat tyre
icon_sad.gif

Don't want to spend £80 or anything daft and am quite happy to use a pressure gauge (am a bit old school like that!).
Thx

Paddocks had some for around £30 a while back; they were identical to my Ironman one that I paid double for :( Would do you down the ground Johnny :cool:

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I've got the paddock one and its ideal.

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Down to £15 now TP :o Perfect :cool:

I've got the paddock one and its ideal.

Pete

Me too, had it a few years and it works great! :clap:

Its the same as the Ironman and Britpart ones, they just stick there stickers on them. :?

I've got the twin cylinder one from paddocks, does really well when airing up.

I've got the single cylinder paddock one. Had it for years. Not the fastest in the world but has been reliable. One mod I made was to extend the power lead to make it easier to reach all the tyres.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's some good products in there. I have always had VIAIR and they've never let me down but they are very pricey. There are options in that lot where I could have 2 for the price of one VIAIR and slave them up to a tank for a fraction of the cost. Off roader really needs performance from the pumps but the new vehicle isn't really in the same area. Great question raised in the thread and some really useful examples. Might go with a couple of the Paddocks ones myself.

I've used the twin cylinder one to re seat a 33" tyre, not as powerful as a viar etc but adequate to air up after been off road. Works fine on the 35's too.
I've got it hard wired and mounted in the boot, it's between the rear seats and storage box.
Had it a few years and when it eventually stops I'd happily buy another one. The gauge isn't accurate but I've got one you push onto the valve to check them.

I have the same twin cylinder unit and for normal airing up after dirt/gravel roads it's been perfect. The one time that it did struggle a bit was after coming off a very soft beach exit with the camper trailer, where it had 6 very low tyres to pump up - that time the thermal cut-off kept tripping (I think it started on the 5th wheel).

Can't say what to get, but just make sure it's not this one from Halfords.

Paint dry etc, , , , , , , , , ,
Halfords.jpg
The removable digital tyre pressure gauge is ok, but the pump part is pants.

Gra

So did you get anything yet Jonny?

Not yet.....borrowed one for the emergency, it was a Halfrauds one and was absolutely sh*te !!!!!
Digital display which you set once plugged in. 12v plug the weirdest I have ever seen and wouldn't stay in the cigar lighter properly - so you'd plug it in, walk to the wheel, set the psi, then it would go off as the 12v plug popped out of place.....back to the cigar lighter, plug in/wedge in etc, back to wheel to re-set psi, puts two pounds of air in, pops out, repeat repeat, scream and bl00dy shout cos you're there alone....etc etc etc.
What a total pile of cack it was. A 5 min job (2 low tyres took over 40 mins - I ended up pulling the 80 into the unit alongside the Saab I was pumping, then moved it twice to gain access with the sh*tty short 12v lead, then had to reverse the saab back with a flat, and squeeze the 80 along its front to get the other side done. Ever tried using a clutch with an aircast boot on? Frigging impossible. Ended up putting it in reverse then spinning starter with clutch up. Dreadful.
Unbelievable.
That's an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back!!!

I got one of these a while back. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/nikkai-heavy-duty-air-compressor-12v-140psi-a31huIt was £25 at that time. It's an all metal quite robust little unit and has no problem inflating the 275/70's on the LC from almost flat to 30+psi inj just a few minutes.

Yep got one of these through in the post today. I've got to say I'm impressed for the money. Like TP says it doesn't take long at all to blow up an 80 tyre at all. If it gets you out of the S!!t once it will have paid for itself. It fits in the storage cubby hole in the O/S panel so thats just dandy.

Andy
k

John.
£100 go for the bigger t max. I went for the cheap ones and for me they were shxt.

ive defo not looked back at all.

I've got a compressor at home, massive thing, this is just an emergency-side-of-the-road type thing.

Back