Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyre question

joinerman

Garage
It's mot time in a couple of months & i noticed my tyres seem to be perishing, bloody annoying as there's 6 - 7mm left on them, do you think it's an mot failure ? all four are the same.

008_zpscfd8b022.jpg

They look a bit worrying :(

Gra.

REMEMBER an mot is for the good of your safety and ultimately your life :think:

REMEMBER an mot is for the good of your safety and ultimately your life :think:

Are you sure about that?

Is it not really a money making exercise, with some dubious elf 'n' saferty overtones?

I tested a 10 tonne lorry about 5/6 years ago and the whole exhaust fell (the manifold sheared in half) off going over a bump about 5 miles from the test centre on the way home. It had passed.

As regards the tyres, they are probably a fail, but it depends on whether the tester really looks at them.

I don't think its really about safety or generating money for nothing . IMO its about the Gov's image , they have to pretend to care and an M.O.T makes it easy because insurance companies police it , we pay for it , and private garages profit from it . It keeps the wealthy wealthier and the poor poorer and requires virtually no gov input .

My understanding on tyres now is that only if they are bald (< 1.6 over centre 75% etc) or you can see the canvas (inside bits) it will fail. Side wall cracks are an advisory I think. Now, will it pass the MOT and would I be happy with them are two different questions before anyone starts with any pious crap. Personally, I don't like the look of them. It's not exactly normal.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
They look quite bad in closeup. Are they branded tyres or remoulds? I saw something similar to this, although much worse, a few years back when a remould was starting to de-laminate.

Personally i'd use em around town but wouldn't be keen to take them on a motorway .

I don't think its really about safety or generating money for nothing . IMO its about the Gov's image , they have to pretend to care and an M.O.T makes it easy because insurance companies police it , we pay for it , and private garages profit from it . It keeps the wealthy wealthier and the poor poorer and requires virtually no gov input .

Now that's a great way of putting it!!

I'd drive away on them, but just keep an eye on them, I've seen plenty of tyres, usually cheap remoulds do it before, particularly on trailers. Never seen it really cause a problem at that stage, but they will completely delaminate or split or whatever the technical term in eventually.

The advice I have always taken on tyres is 'if you can't see the wire your good to go', cause that's when the fun starts!! Ever tried driving on an oval or 'bulged' tyre?Its not pretty.

From the pic and providing no cords are visible in the cracks (tester is allowed to probe a little bit) I'd pass them with an advisory

I've passed worse looking tyres tbh, can't say was happy about it but they met the minimum requirement at the time of test.
I think people (including some mot testers) forget the mot is a minimum set if standards and while it's sat on the ramp. Requirements are pretty low tbh it's just some testers are too harsh imo. We have it at my work where people mot to a service standard and fail nearly everything when should be an advise.

They are almost certainly a fail.

There is no annual M.O.T in the Isle of Man , vehicles that have not paid road tax for 2 years and imported cars must pass inspection at the Governments vehicle test centre , Brand new zero mileage vehicles have been known to fail the Manx test , so yes on the Island they would most certainly fail . Vehicles are also tested if involved in a road traffic accident .

That's a bit more sensible of a system.

There was no test for passanger vehicles vehicle here in Ireland until about 10 years ago, all you could be done for was bald tyres, no lights or a dangerous fault causing an accident. It was brought in solely as an EU money making exercise, at the behest of an 'EU directive'. Its administered by a Spanish company and common fails include electric windows that don't work quickly enough! Also any welding work has to accompanied by an 'engineers report' which of course costs a bloody fortune.

I have seen cars fail for having a pin head sized crack in tail lights for example, there are no advisories!!

It costs E55 a pop, Its so arbitrary that its pointless bringing a car anywhere other than for a test to find out what nonsense its going to fail on, so you will always have to also pay the E27 (don't know how to do a euro sign!) retest fee.

But its even crazier than that, its not necessarily valid for even a year, its only valid for a year from the date of first registration, so an out of test car may only get a pass for a week and have to go back and be retested.

The penalty for not having one? E1500 fine and 5 penalty points, the penalty for doing 59mph past a school in a 30mph zone? 2 penalty points and E60 fine!! Go figure that one, if you don't think its a money racket.

Be grateful for the English MOT and the way its carried out.

Yogi i've been to Mullingar , 54 pubs in a half mile high street , happy memories , i'm suprised anyone is sober enough to care about M.O.T's :lol:

Yeah its a fun town, bit quieter these days what with emigration and that!! Sounds like you enjoyed it!!

I don't live in it, I live about 12 miles south of it in the sticks!! But it was as good as I could do on the location thing, oddly its the last line of my address even though my landline phone number is an Athlone one!!

I went for a weekend and stayed for a few months , got a job labouring on a team of plasterers , it was still punts then and very few of them at that . I can't remember how long ago it was but i worked on the new hospital which was right on the outskirts . I might have stayed but i was regularly inclined to prove you CAN have a drink in every pub and remain standing , which was great fun but quickly resulted in empty pockets .

Yeah these places have a funny habit of sucking you in, I came here over 10 years for maybe six months and wound up staying, more than likely for good, definitely for the foreseeable future. But its not as much fun as it was back then, Ireland in general ended up with its head stuck up its own arse by the time the celtic pussy ended. I'd been coming to these parts since I was a young lad to buy horses and ponies, so that's well over 20 years and its changed for all recognition even in the time I've been living here never mind since the eighties.

Back