UK 80 series manual 24v diesel

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
not having a cruiser is bugging me so I'm after one of the above. Standard as possible, in need of some work is ok but I'm not after a major project so no rust buckets or sheds please :) Why that spec? Must have full floater rear axle / lockers, I want the updated interior because it's a bit nicer, manual because I'll be teaching Jess how to work a stick and pedal in it, diesel because we don't get manual petrol ones here and I might have a mess with bio.

Good luck with the search Jon, didn't take long to get them withdrawal symptoms...

Not sure Larry's law applies to wanted ads. :lol: :lol:

Planning on needing something solid around you Jon? Dual controls maybe?

Colour preference? We'll keep an eye out. I'm going to teach my lad in the auto first then move to manual once he learns how not to crash.

Chris

I've missed having an 80 since we got rid of the red car, twice :) we like going round and round in circles.

I'm considering going to have a look at this one: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Does anyone know anything about either the truck or the dealer? I know it's also on Autotrader at a lower price with a private seller and I'm assuming the dealer snapped it up before anyone else got to it.

I can buy it and keep the A8 but if I do get an 80 I'd use it to drag the tin tent to Pompeii and around some of France in the summer instead of the A8 so really the A8 would be redundant = sell it in my mind. Am I mad to be thinking of doing that family trip in an 80 instead of the A8? Yes I really do want your answers to that!

Hi Jon I would look at that one if I were you. There seems to be a shortage of good low mileage late 24V Cruisers about. As you know I would have had a go at that one myself at the original sellers price and then made up my mind what to do with it after I had driven it a while. Last year I didn't really like the 24V manual after years of auto's but I am warming to the manual box now. If you look and pass could you let me know what you think of it.

Andy :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I should have started a book on this :lol:

Great stuff Jon - hope you find a stunning one soon. Good luck!

Edit: buy Mucley and do a gearbox transplant :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know nothing about the dealer or the truck but I might be able to answer your last question. I think that you should take the A8 rather than an 80 on your trip across europe. I have used my 80 a fair bit this weekend and it is not exactly quiet and refined when compared with my Volvo. Well thinking about it you will not be travelling at speed when towing so wind noise is less of an issue, but its still there are 60mph :think: The seats in the 80 are not as comfortable as more modern luxury cars, maybe its just the GX but they are not even close when compared with my Volvo. I'm sure your family would prefer the comforts of the A8 compared to an 80.

It's not like you are travelling to remote uncivilised places so reliability is not much of an issue here. I would assume as its your car the A8 is in top condition so it's unlikely to give up the ghost 2k miles from home. Even if it does I'm sure most garages can fix it as they all have code readers these days. Also I'm sure you can find some very useful software here http://garageforum.co.uk/forum/149-vag-group.html which will enable you to do most things on the A8 with the right cable and a laptop. I would not even bother with a tool kit on a car like that for travelling around Europe as you would not be able to fix it anyway without the right parts.

The 80 is a great second car IMO, would not have it as my main car as mine does not fit into multi-storey car parks (an unmodified one will tho...) Not really sure where I am going with this :? I think what I am saying is that you should get an 80 but not for towing the caravan across the continent, clear as mud? :lol: Petrol heads never make rational decisions when it comes to cars, chances are you will end up buying it and we will take bets on what you end up doing with it :mrgreen:

Thanks for the feedback. What you say makes sense Rob but I think one of my problems is that for me the drive is a major plus point of the holiday and the destinations are pretty much just an excuse to have a drive from my point of view so although the A8 would be less tiring I think it will also be less satisfying because the driver has hardly anything to do. To just get from A to B as efficiently as possible the A8 is a clear winner but I almost might as well be a passenger. Doesn't make much sense I know and that's probably the only reason there isn't already an 80 back on our drive :think: I may be looking at my memory of 80's through rose tinted specs and hate it though :doh:

Does anyone prefer driving their 80 long distances than a euro box?

The reliability of either is not a factor for this trip, that's more a long term consideration if I kept one of them for the next 10 years or more and keeping them going beyond that. The 80 seems a bit more interesting to own long term and maybe get a track car for thrills. We have Stephs Rav4 for family nipping about if the 80 is not nice around town.

I'll let you know if I have a look Andy :)

Jon,

The "sense of occasion" that one gets from an 80 is in IMHO (and as you alluded) what its all about.

I have other vehicles to drive and unless I need to get somewhere in a hurry with little fuss and at high speed, then I will always take my 60 or 80 instead.

Rose tinted perhaps a little, but then why not just keep the A8 as well.

Depends if you are in a rush to get there and if your 80 has Mongolitis or not...

Olazz said:
The "sense of occasion" that one gets from an 80 is in IMHO (and as you alluded) what its all about.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there, thank you :thumbup:

Olazz said:
I have other vehicles to drive and unless I need to get somewhere in a hurry with little fuss and at high speed, then I will always take my 60 or 80 instead.
Interesting :D

Olazz said:
Rose tinted perhaps a little, but then why not just keep the A8 as well.
I would for a bit but every time I've had more than one car in the past, one gets used and one doesn't and I hate having stuff I don't think I've got a use for hanging about ... I'm not sure I can convince Steph to go on our summer holiday in an 80 if there's an A8 on the drive either!

Hi Jon, I couldn't sleep the other night purely and simply because we were off to Eastbourne to dismantle a log cabin and bring it
home.
A cool round trip of 411 miles for the day in the 80, 4 hours driving then breakfast then 4 hours to dismantle the cabin and 4 hours driving back, took Wayne80 along as well for much needed help and company.
A perfect day really.
cabin003.jpg
Didn't quite use a full tank of diesel and must have been about 1 tonne of timber on there.
Chris S.

I cover alot of miles in my 80s jon. Done 300 today picking another truck up.

I just plod along on the mortway. Sometimes i end up opening it up but usually just steady. I dont personally find it a problem.

Yes, i could have alot newer rangerover that would have more comfort but also loose alot of money.

From what you were saying about keeping it ten years.... The 24v 80s are just going to get more and more expensive i think. Very few about now. I have my audi a8tdi just as a bit faster motorway car.

I think when i get a 24v sorted for myself i will get it properly set up on oil or bio and not run anything else but cruisers.

Karl

Tbh Jon I think Lolly is right. The 80 is by no means a practical vehicle for a daily driver - but then you don't really have that much if a need for one? If you want speed you could get a little Elise or similar for the twisties.

We did mega trips in my 2 80s and I still reckon they were the best vehicles for the job - easy to drive (ish) and a lot more useable. Like you say, the destination is often not really relevant - its the journey. If you've got the time an 80 is the best means I reckon, bang for buck. Loads more room for Jess too in the back, and you could fit the pup on ad well if needed. And still get pretty good - well, fair - consumption.

Plus if you go stealth mode this time you can still have fun prepping it.

Logical?? Don't be silly! Practical?? Mostly. Does it soothe the soul?? Most definitely. I thought I was going to die after an 80 in SA and nothing here, until I got the 120. Nowhere near the same as an 80, but I sure feel more at peace!

Good luck. There's no ,right, answer. There's just what you need and want. We can't make up your mind for you (as if!) but I certainly think that driving a vehicle with a character and presence puts a bit of je ne se quois (or whatever) back into life ...

Go for it.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Does anyone prefer driving their 80 long distances than a euro box?

I do,

I drove mine from Norfolk to Limoges in france the other year (611 miles) & the 80 just eats the miles up on those long toll roads, it loves it :D

I find it really relaxing to drive, get up to speed, stick it in cruise & enjoy the scenery :thumbup:

I also use to drive it between here & Newcastle quite regularly for work & I could have had a hire car, but chose not to :naughty:

I never decided to use the Land rover either :lol:

Cheers guys, I think you've helped me identify the root cause of my dillema and I think it explains the real reason for getting bored with the 100 as well, I need a bit more noise, bumpyness and arm movement :D I think an 80 will salve the parts other vehicles haven't been able to reach and I was never any good at being sensible anyway. Stealth is the name of the game this time Gary, mods yes, but done with stealth :) Calls for a drink this does :whistle: Now lets see what I can find.

Just playing devils advocate, sorry

How about a trying to find a 105?

I feel your pain Jon, no right answer I am afraid

Congratulations!!! The search is part if the fun, right! If you spot something up north of Hadrians let me know and I'll go look for you!

I don't think I'm in pain any more Julian, I think the cause of my madness has been identified and I can stop fretting about it now :D 105 - wrong engines, bit more weight, bit more volume I don't need, not an 80 :)

P.S. anyone want a really nice A8 at a good price I know where one might be available soon :lol:

Back