Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Urgent - virus warning

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Folks appears I have been hacked and probably Trevor too. Please do NOT OPEN any email from my gmail account or from Trev's virgin media account till further notice..

Yup,

I got from both of you.

Buy Gary - you're was from your name but the email address it was from was still Trev's so not sure if it was you? Some of those names on the list specifically your friends? There is a lot of overlap between the two.

Cheers Crispin. I haven't gone back to look - will do from a server later to see what's what. Shut down my mail sub-system now anyway - I hope :)

Do we know what was actually in it Gary? as a Mac user I am usually fairly well protected from these things and I did spot it early on, but not seen any unusual activity on my system.

No idea - was just a link I took to be malicious on the mail I received. But it seems to have glued my name to Trevs email addy and carried on. Not sure if it raided my address book - seems not as no people not related to the forum seem to have received it. And the multiple scans I've done are all clean ...

It's unlikely to be a virus or something on your computer which actually sends the mail. It's more a case of you (or Trev) got duped into entering your email login details into a site which looked like your email provider or you accidentally allowed someone access to your email account through another API. Install a dodgy app on your phone? (more android risk than iPhone)

I got worried this morning when I saw it because at first glance there are a lot of member emails there. I checked a few of the ones I did not know and they're not members so was not me (the forum) which was hacked.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Started scanning mine now, I'm normally pretty good with these sort of things but we'll see what turns up after I'm finished.

:lol::lol::lol: Very good, liked that.

After much scanning and loads of cleanup, I found some malware on my machine. Having read up on the items found, doesn't seem to be the cause of this a far as I can tell.

The PUP's found were SearchProtect, InstallCore, OpenCandy, Babylon, Conduit and Spigot

What a pain these things are.

We've got safesearch got onto one of our pc's, just cant shift the damn thing.

I'm told Eset (antivirus) gets most things including Cryptolocker,…and you don't want that!! We're getting about 4 a week, some very convincing. Lynn's just had one supposedly from HMRC, then there's Barclays, everyone under the sun about the payment we've made or the invoice or the quote, not to mention those that are 'only looking for a kind hearted sensitive man and are waiting for my loving arms'. Bin the lot!! The Apple ones are very clever, but none have your name at the top.

Good luck with it.

Adaware is quite good at finding and getting rid of things too - http://www.lavasoft.com/. Careful when you google adaware and just click on the first result because it's probably an advert leading to something dodgy.

Don't put any trust in anti-virus - they're mostly useless. Really, they are. They won't catch any of the new viruses and quite often won't catch any of the older ones too.
Anti-virus where they protect your search are also crap. They slow your browser down and stories now emerging how AVG is selling on your search data to people for money. Yup - yet again you're a commodity.

To avoid stupid things like this:
AdBlockPlus in Chrome - lots of adverts are actually cons
Think about the email you're about to click on - go direct to the site yourself if you're worried.
A browser can never tell you you have a virus - do not click on it.
Ignore spam - you don't have an aunt in Nigeria with Pancreatic Cancer and ebola. I get 200-300 spam emails. It's laughable at what they want you to do.

Most of the scamming or phishing emails I get everyday funnily enough seem to originate from the UK.
I haven't been able to drill down further, but I'd hazard a guess they're mostly from Yorkshire.
:whistle:

Its a pretty smart virus if it can send emails so can probably hide from scans , if you have a computer with real buttons just hold the off button down for 30 seconds for a hard shutdown which will allow you to select safe mode when you start up again . Safe mode freezes all but the bare minimum of programs (you will not be able to go online) and then scan .

Back