Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Vibration on KZJ70

MrE3

Country Flag
uk
Hi Guys,

I had an LJ70 (2.4) a few years back which ran on Mud terrain 33" tyres for a few years, this ran great and the motor was very smooth and powerful. I now have a KZJ70 (3.0) and I have a set of BFG AT's 33", but I get a lot of vibration coming through the drive train when pulling at low rev's (30mph in 4th gear for instance) which I don't recall having in the LJ. The engine feels strong and can propel the KZJ to 105mph (on a track :shh:) so its probably OK for power! any thoughts will be welcome.

Best regards

Mark.....

Check your CV joints after checking your UJs for play. It's also possibly your wheels are way out of balance or you could have some worn bushes somewhere.

4th gear takes me from 40 mph to about 60 , i might toodle along at idle revs in a row of traffic on a flat road in 4th at 30mph but a hill will make it judder and want to stall so i change down .

KZJ90

Last edited:
Thanks StarCruiser I know what your refering to. I should mention, the Cruiser has just come back from a refurb, new wheel bearings, bushes, brakes, shocks & springs. All other parts checked out OK. The vibration was there before the refurb & hasn't altered. The vibration seems to be engine/Gearbox and not small. If I change gear so that the rev's are above 2000 I don't have any vibration, but if the rev's fall to say 1500 in 3rd, 4th or 5th and I accelerate I get the bad vibration.

Mark......

4th gear takes me from 40 mph to about 60 , i might toodle along at idle revs in a row of traffic on a flat road in 4th at 30mph but a hill will make it judder and want to stall so i change down .

KZJ90
That sounds like it Shayne, is the KZJ70 taller geared than the LJ70? also how accurate are the rev counters? What is it that causes the judder?

Mark..

The judder is just the engine struggling with the demand on it , the rev counter should be bang on the money . Don't nurse these engines they like to be revved hard drive it like you stole it but watch the temperature gauge when it goes into the red its already boiling . An aftermarket temp gauge is advised because toyota's own are rubbish .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds like labouring the engine (now I've read your post properly and Shayne's reply has made me think about it). I often drive in 3rd at 30mph in Lynn's Space star as its just happier being in its power band than a smidge off idle.

If everything's been renewed then I reckon Shayne's right, what with the taller gearing (if you pardon the pun) that the tyres give you.

Last edited:
Back