Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

VIN numbers

yogi

Garage
Country Flag
ireland
So a very simple question!

Where are the VIN/chassis numbers on the 80 series? Aside from the VIN plate on the bulkhead.

Thanks

should be one stamped on outside of chassis behind front right wheel and if I remember correctly on bulkhead above and behind engine, at least thats what I seem to recall, will have to take a look when the sun is up.

Thanks Julian,

its just I've been offered a fairly clean 97 manual diesel at VERY small money, only faults I can find are an oil leak on one front swivel hub, vagueish steering and a badly repaired tail gate.
150k miles, that look genuine, engine perfect, box perfect, even the sunroof and windows work.

Seller SEEMS genuine, but he has only had it for 4 months and I want to make sure that it isn't a dodge/ringer

Thanks Julian,

its just I've been offered a fairly clean 97 manual diesel at VERY small money, only faults I can find are an oil leak on one front swivel hub, vagueish steering and a badly repaired tail gate.
150k miles, that look genuine, engine perfect, box perfect, even the sunroof and windows work.

Seller SEEMS genuine, but he has only had it for 4 months and I want to make sure that it isn't a dodge/ringer

And why is Yogi posting everything twice and why is Yogi posting everything twice.

And I'm sure he's not doing it deliberately and I'm sure he's not doing it deliberately.

Crispin? Crispin?

Because his internet is behaving very strangely!! Strangely!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Are they charging you twice? Are they charging you twice?

edit:
just noticed your last message was only posted once....

Last edited:
Just a quick update, there is definitely a number stamped on the outside of the chassis behind the right front wheel, but nothing where I seem to recall toyota stamping the vin on the bulkhead, perhaps they moved it to another location on the 80's, last time I looked on the bulkhead for a vin it was a 1990's Hilux...

But good luck with what you have found, just remember that the vin on the plate must match the vin stamped on the chassis.

Last edited:
Thanks Julian, there is a VIN stamped on a carina as well funnily enough! Well I'll be checking it tomorrow and see how it goes...

Thanks Julian, that piece of information just saved me from a rather costly mistake, just think what you get if you mix an angle grinder with a chassis rail.....

What was the situation with the truck - was there a problem matching the vin/chassis numbers.

Heh glad the information was usefull, so what did you find and raises the question, challenge the seller and buy at reduced price for spares/donor vehicle or keep mum and advise the authorities, ........

Certainly would not want a dodgy vehicle left in the hands of the unscrupulous to possibly be sold to the unsuspecting.

Well it is hard to know what to do, the seller only had it for 4 months (history check, tax book both proved this and it was in his name) and he was utterly clueless about it and a nice guy, he bought it in an auction as well, but that's a bit more of a lottery here I think because we have a lot of unregistered machinery auctions in Ireland that are totally buyer beware jobs.

And I'm pretty sure I know a shark when I see one, I've been dealing in horses as a side line since I was in school so that's 20+ years of the best sharks around. I know a genuine reaction of shock when I see one. I was tempted to go that road, but morals prevented me. He knew himself that he'd been had and that was obvious.

There was no tax/test on it and the major flaw was the passenger side front axle; definitely wheel bearing and axle seals fubared because it was all over the road and I just know that feeling of a bearing in the process of collapse.

There is very little LC scene for 80's here in Ireland also, and something like that will go for export straight away, there are still armies of black lads here at that job. I mean I had it bought for less than 3k as a straight motor....Which is tiny money for a 150k, clean 97 24v manual. All it needed was one side of the front axle partial rebuild, a top tail gate and the air con fixing. The interior was clean too. And I'd bet a lot of money the mileage was genuine.

What was the situation with the truck - was there a problem matching the vin/chassis numbers.

The VIN plate matched the tax book but the VIN had been tampered. The chassis number behind the front wheel had been ground off, but a long time ago. Looking at the way it had rusted over where it was ground I'd say in the years category.

The moral of the story is never buy without a tax book and without checking these things very carefully.

What made me suspicious first was not so much the price but that it hadn't been taxed since 2003, but didn't look like it had been lying up either. That's not as unusual as you might think here in Ireland but it automatically makes you sceptical as to it belonging to travellers and/or having a chequered past.

Stolen vehicle then.

Logbook and vin plate off a genuine non-recorded written off vehicle, transplanted on to a stolen one, if it was stolen in the UK it wont be shown on the Irish system.

I understand your sympathy with the seller, but he bought it to drive, but hasnt used it on the road.....course he knows, or at least suspects.

Next check would be the engine number, if there's one left.

Here's the thing, if you buy it cheap and think it may be stolen (even if you dont know it def is) then you commit an offence of handling stolen goods - perversely, if you buy it thinking it might be, but it transpires its not, you commit the offence of attempting to handle stolen goods. Wouldnt touch it with a bargepole now.

If you buy it, its to drive, so chances are at some point you'll get stopped by the Gardai, thats the point it all goes wrong, as it will always belong to the insurance company who paid out for it. Exception being Police auctions, which guarantee title.

Out of interest, where do you see them advertised in the Republic? Have thought about it before never found a decent source. (non-stolen ones I mean!!).

Regards

Pete

Pete,
that's the thing he was driving it, he actually drove about an hour to meet me half way today, he had it insured and all, I know that because you have to display an insurance disc here that's like an extra tax disc and it has the reg and all on it like a tax disc (its printed by the insurance company and has a water mark etc)
Lets just say that there are a LOT of untaxed vehicles here, that's not that remarkable.

Look on www.donedeal.ie and type in 'Toyota amazon' and there are a few on it. (no one calls it 80 series here). There is actually one on it here that sounds a bit like what your looking for and its in the North so its UK reg. I'd have gone to look at it if it was manual.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-landcruiser-amazon/5826821

Problem with the Republic is mileages tend to be high and most cruisers are commercials (no back seats) because an 80 would cost 1500 to tax private for a year, but 350 without the seats. But if you are looking, if its private and has an NCT (MOT) that means a lot more than an MOT in England. A private one will be minded because anyone that can afford 1500 of road tax can afford to mind a vehicle.

TBH I didn't buy it because I couldn't be bothered to break it, I just don't have time any more. And I had also thought of the engine number but I didn't want it so I didn't bother to look. Nothing to do with police, once stuff disappears into my wilderness its totally out of sight!! I'm no saint but just I draw the line at deliberately buying something I know is stolen. (wasn't brought up that way, Dad was Royal Navy, Grandad was a Judge)

Back